The Student Room Group

Freshers

When does freshers start and end? how long is it? So excited lol
Original post by milystorr

It depends on the university that you choose to go to. its usually called "welcome week" in term dates or something like that
Reply 2
It depends what university you go to. Usually a week before lectures begin. When I was a fresher (and this is going back almost 5 years ago now, which is scary lol), we had freshers FORTNIGHT, only the second week coincided with lectures starting so less people went out. Maybe try and find a thread for the uni you're going to to find out exactly when yours will begin :smile:
Reply 3
Don't worry - not silly at all :smile: Freshers Week is essentially just a welcome week to your uni - an induction, if you will! Popularly, it is associated with organised nights out, drinking, etc, but contrary to popular belief, there are lots of other things to do if you don't drink. For example, my friend's uni had a thing called Speed Mating, which was literally speed dating for making friends. When you think fresher's week, think Organised Fun. Although that being said, you can make it what you want it. For me, whilst I did go out drinking a lot, the most valuable bit of the experience to me was bonding with the people in my halls I was going to be living with for the next year :smile:
It's basically a week full of parties etc, to get all the new 1st year university students together, so they can integrate etc.
There is no school on this week and yeah, but all university students can get involved but it makes it easier for 1st year university students to make friends.
If you mean when does the rampant drinking start/end, well, "Fresher's Week" then mostly throughout first year
Original post by Boredom101
It depends on the university that you choose to go to. its usually called "welcome week" in term dates or something like that

"Welcome week"at the University for pussies.
Reply 7
Yeah, there will most likely be something called Fresher's Fair where you not only get loads of free stuff, but the societies are there and you can find out more about them and sign up :smile: Same with the sports teams.

Every uni is different, but I am sure there will be plenty of other activities like speed mating at yours! They do cater to a wide audience, which is good, as like you said not everyone enjoys partying and drinking (I certainly wouldn't be into it if I were to go back to uni now).
No I mean, I find it funny that some unis call it welcome week when people are usually drinking heavily, pissing in the street, etc during that week..
Original post by Cubone-r
"Welcome week"at the University for pussies.

lol. please go back to playing with your dinosaurs.
Original post by Boredom101
lol. please go back to playing with your dinosaurs.

lol banter
Original post by Cubone-r
lol banter

all for da bantssss
Original post by milystorr

Depends on the uni.. At Swansea we had a fortnight of freshers stuff and I probably went out 8-9 nights in a row.

At my new uni it's a week but they're cramming 800 activities into that week lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh I hope you don't mind me popping in here, but I'll be 17 during freshers... so no going out. Will that be a problem? Or are there also house parties and stuff going on?
Reply 14
Original post by hysterria
Ooh I hope you don't mind me popping in here, but I'll be 17 during freshers... so no going out. Will that be a problem? Or are there also house parties and stuff going on?

Of course you can go out. You just shouldn't drink alcohol.

There's plenty of things that are either alcohol-free or entirely alcohol-optional.
Original post by Doonesbury
Of course you can go out. You just shouldn't drink alcohol.

There's plenty of things that are either alcohol-free or entirely alcohol-optional.

Ah that's great. I'm not a huge fan of drinking anyway, just slightly afraid I'll miss out on social stuff. So going to student union events etc won't be a problem?
Reply 16
Original post by hysterria
Ah that's great. I'm not a huge fan of drinking anyway, just slightly afraid I'll miss out on social stuff. So going to student union events etc won't be a problem?

It will be no problem whatsoever.

And make sure you do get involved in stuff that interests you - it's a great time to sample new sports and/or societies, as well as just have some fun :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending