The Student Room Group

The WWE Society II

Scroll to see replies

Another piece on the situation here.

Whole thing seems a mess and not too surprised about Del Rio but Paige, one would worry about her even more.

She needs help to get out of this abusive relationship and get some stability. Rock's producing a comedy drama on her life and family but sometimes think it's (the publicity on her) is the last thing she needs.
Original post by Mackay
At this stage, I feel Reigns vs Strowman is done - for the time being. We've seen that singles bout on three PPVs this year. I think Strowman needs the belt next, personally. WWE needs to capitalise on him.

I thought it would be done after the ambulance match because I was expecting one to lay the other out and clearly win the match with no follow up afterwards. The way they've done it now means Strowman has to want revenge on Roman in some kind of hellish violent fight without having 2 other guys in the way.

They can easily get it to Summerslam at least. I do sincerely hope the Miz vs Dean Ambrose feud goes away and never comes back though ... that was scorched earth over a month ago!
Reply 6182
Original post by IanDangerously
I thought it would be done after the ambulance match because I was expecting one to lay the other out and clearly win the match with no follow up afterwards. The way they've done it now means Strowman has to want revenge on Roman in some kind of hellish violent fight without having 2 other guys in the way.

They can easily get it to Summerslam at least. I do sincerely hope the Miz vs Dean Ambrose feud goes away and never comes back though ... that was scorched earth over a month ago!

I sense a Dean heel turn. It's best for him - and probably best for Rollins. Rollins has struggled getting over as a babyface, despite facing Triple H and beating him at WM. Having him want to reform the Shield but Ambrose turn on him is ideal, imho.
Reply 6183
Teddy Long strikes again on SmackDown, with WWE booking a multiman main event. Kevin Owens and Rusev teamed up to lose to John Cena and AJ Styles in the main event, after the latter opened the show by revealing he would bring back the US Open Challenge now he's the champion. This bodes really well: he can have a solid bout with anybody, and it could make stars of Tye Dillinger, Luke Harper, Chad Gable et al. The main event itself was solid but I would have preferred the heels to get the win. Owens/Rusev will undoubtedly lose at Battleground, and it's hard to see what momentum they have.

There was plenty of Battleground development elsewhere too: Xavier Woods went over Jey Uso in a brief singles match, after both the New Day and Jimmy Uso were consigned to the back by the referee. We also saw Shinsuke Nakamura and Baron Corbin brawl before their singles match started, leaving Shane McMahon to book a bout at the upcoming PPV between the pair. Going the cowardly route with Corbin is the right call imho. I think he should continue attacking people from behind. In terms of other in-ring action, Jinder Mahal went over Tye Dillinger in the opening match of the night. Mahal cut a promo post-match but it was the same promo we've been hearing for weeks. He needs to develop his character at this stage because he's growing stale. He still draws heat, sure, but his character arc is non-existent. He is just staying in the same position. He needs to dispatch of Randy Orton and move onto new challengers. At this juncture, the "I'm foreign, boo me" shtick is tired.

Shane also booked a Fatal 5-Way Elimination Match to determine the number one contender to Naomi for Battleground. Lana will go up against Tamina, who teamed up with Natalya last night in a winning effort vs Becky Lynch and Charlotte, at the PPV. Tamina picked up the win for her team last night, but there's really only one winner at Battleground: Charlotte. She and Naomi feel like they have unfinished business and having them lock horns through the summer is smart, providing Charlotte turns fully-fledged heel. In the other notable segments, we saw Mike Kanellis attack Sami Zayn, setting up a Battleground bout no doubt, after he and Maria called him out for interrupting their love-in last week.

We also saw The Fashion Files, which was once again my show highlight, as they spoke to the Hype Bros backstage and tried to discover who stole Tyler Breeze's toy horse. The pair are the best thing on SmackDown right now - bar nothing. They are so over, so entertaining and they are clearly having a say in creative. Some of their sly Fashion Files jokes have clearly been created by themselves, and wouldn't have been OK-d by management, you imagine.

On 205 Live, we saw Neville attack Akira Tozawa in his opening bout against Ariya Daivari, cementing his place on the cruiserweight roster as head and shoulders above anybody else. The lack of challengers for him at this point is an indictment on how dominant he has been, and how poor WWE have been at creating a worthwhile roster to invest in. We also saw Jack Gallagher show a more serious side as he brawled with The Brian Kendrick. Kendrick is a top notch performer and fantastic at what he does, while Gallagher has real potential imho. In terms of other in-ring action, we saw Rich Swann beat Mario Connors, before his friendly rivalry with TJP led to Perkins trying - and succeeding - to beat Connors in a shorter amount of time. That's an intriguing storyline going forward. In the main event, Cedric Alexander finally - finally - put away Noam Dar, who dumped Alicia Fox and drew a pop but quickly reverted to being a heel by cutting a scathing promo on the crowd. These two men need to move forward now. The feud has outstayed its welcome by months.
Guesses for Kurt Angle's secret lover?
Reply 6186
Original post by xcuttlefish

I think it'll be an illegitimate child

Back when he was around, the answer was always Hornswoggle.

Eric Bischoff says that this is a spoiler and it's

Spoiler

Which is just to take the piss out of the AJ/Claire Lynch TNA storyline for no reason, and how would Vince even know about that storyline?

I don't know anything about it other than it sounds completely stupid and pointless, and if it's serious the only one that makes some semblance of sense on the current roster is Alexa Bliss given that she's been pushed heavily yet in-ring she's been made to look like a non-wrestler who gets destroyed but wins by rollup/cheat every time (she's basically the female Mikey Whipwreck). And it would be just like Vince to learn there was a rumour of her being a slut from the internet and use this storyline to 'rib' her, plus Kurt due to his adulterous past.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6188
Dixie or Steph is too obvious imho. An illegitimate child on the roster could happen, or it could be some sort of retirement gimmick where he's been told he can never wrestle again, so calls out HHH for a retirement match or some *******s.

I'd like Graves to be his gay lover, though. What a swerve.
New day Rocks ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6190
Why the **** has WWE cancelled its best programming in Talking Smack?! It was brilliant
Original post by Mackay
Why the **** has WWE cancelled its best programming in Talking Smack?! It was brilliant

it's been meh for months tbf, none of the other presenters have the same chemistry with Renee as Daniel Bryan does and without him the show suffered big time, apparently it had low ratings as well so can't be that surprised tbh, they are keeping it for Pay Per Views at least
Reply 6192
Original post by Just Rory
it's been meh for months tbf, none of the other presenters have the same chemistry with Renee as Daniel Bryan does and without him the show suffered big time, apparently it had low ratings as well so can't be that surprised tbh, they are keeping it for Pay Per Views at least

Don't get me wrong, it lacks something when Bryan isn't there, but it still adds depth to stories and gives superstars some freedom for creativity. I sure as hell prefer it to 205 Live, which has worse viewing figures.
Original post by Mackay

I heard it was something to do with Mr McMahon not liking the idea of it because it was unscripted. Just a rumour I heard though so don't know if there's any truth to it.
Reply 6194
Original post by qasim_96
I heard it was something to do with Mr McMahon not liking the idea of it because it was unscripted. Just a rumour I heard though so don't know if there's any truth to it.

Not sure about this tbh. I've read that rumour too - but, if the ratings are good, Vince won't care. He won't care it's unscripted if it's generating controversy. But, regardless, it's a shame - and a really disappointing decision from a personal POV. Aside from NXT, Talking Smack is undoubtedly the programming from WWE I look forward to most on a weekly basis.
Original post by Mackay
Not sure about this tbh. I've read that rumour too - but, if the ratings are good, Vince won't care. He won't care it's unscripted if it's generating controversy. But, regardless, it's a shame - and a really disappointing decision from a personal POV. Aside from NXT, Talking Smack is undoubtedly the programming from WWE I look forward to most on a weekly basis.

Yeah I enjoyed the showed too so I'm disappointed in the decision.
Original post by Mackay
I think it'll be an illegitimate child

Gable maybe?
Reply 6197
Gable maybe?

I think so. Graves is from Pittsburgh, though. But Kurt would have had to father him at 15.
Reply 6198
So, it was Jason Jordan then. Kurt Angle's big mystery has finally been revealed. I knew it was an illegitimate child, and it gives Jordan a showcase, but there's only one way this should play out: Jordan should be working for Kurt Angle and Triple H, who have created this plan in a bid to oust Angle as GM. That can lead to a match further down the line between Angle/HHH. Shorter term, it's intriguing. In an interview post-RAW with Renee Young, it was already hinted Jordan may be getting preferential treatment, and that's a good storyline to focus on going forward.

Elsewhere on Monday night, we saw Braun Strowman inevitably - but pleasingly - disrupt the main event to crown a No. 1 Contender for Brock Lesnar's Universal Championship. With Roman Reigns and Samoa Joe failing to find a winner, Strowman's re-emergence looks like adding another man to the bout for Summerslam, creating a Fatal 4-Way which may be the most excited I've been for a match all year. There's probably an argument that WWE is relying far too much on multi-man matches in lazy booking, but these four men deserve to be showcased and the main event is white-hot, so as a one-off bout, I'm all for it.

Unfortunately, the women's and cruiserweight divisions are floundering. We saw Mustapha Ali and Jack Gallagher put away Drew Gulak and The Brian Kendrick in swift fashion last night. That was really disappointing, because they had no time to work, and it added nothing to the two feuds which are set to be showcased on 205 Live tonight. Ali/Gulak are in a 2-out-of-3 falls match tonight, but WWE did nothing to add interest. Much better is the story of Akira Tozawa, who hinted at dissension in the ranks of Titus Worldwide. During his bout with Daivari, the referee stopped the bout at Titus O'Neil's request after Tozawa's arm was targeted by the heel. The pair clashed to end the segment and it'll be intriguing to see where this goes. I'm a fan of Titus, and the current shtick, but if this leads to Tozawa turning on him, I could buy in.

The women's division is just really disappointing right now. If WWE isn't shoehorning every single competitor in the division into one storyline, it's having Alexa Bliss lose clean to Bayley on TV. That's not a way to build a champion. I did really enjoy Sasha Banks and Nia Jax clashing outside the ring, though. And any relevancy added to Bayley at this point is welcome, considering she looked like she was past the point of no return a month ago.

Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins kicked off RAW, teasing tension post-Shield break-up. It was a decent, if run-of-the-mill, opening segment. Rollins is woefully miscast as a babyface right now. He is naturally smug and naturally unlikeable. The two have teased a reunion, but Ambrose is clearly distrusting and I would love him to turn heel by attacking Rollins. It could help the latter get over, and help Ambrose breathe life into a seemingly stale career. The duo were beaten down by the Miz, Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas to end the segment. I like seeing Ambrose/Rollins together, but we can't waste the Shield reunion on the Miztourage. It needs to have further time to fester, maybe a couple of more years, and a more fearsome trio to face.

We also saw progression in the Finn Balor vs Elias Samson feud, with the latter smashing a guitar over the babyface, before Bray Wyatt cut a nonsensical promo to suggest we're finally getting Bray vs Balor. This was the most fierce Samson has looked since being called up. I'm all for Balor vs Bray, too, if it means the return of the Demon and some decent, fresh matches. I just really want Balor back on PPV and Wyatt to face somebody that isn't Rollins.

In the other notable segments, The Revival beat The Hardy Boyz in a fantastic match-up. These two teams will have great bouts and it's smart to have The Revival bag a win early. More and more losses for Matt and Jeff could spark the return of their Broken gimmick. That leaves the Raw Tag-Team Championships scene open, so WWE needs to be smart about creating legitimate challengers for Sheamus/Cesaro. We also saw Big Cass run over Big Show, after Enzo Amore cut another 10/10 promo. Cass looked like an absolute monster, running over Show and Amore, but I loved the promo from the babyface more. Enzo is enjoying a purple patch with the microphone and clearly enjoying being so passionate out in the ring.
If Hornswoggle is Vinny Mac's 'son' in WWE world then this shouldn't be a great surprise, more so disappointment with the teases..

Quick Reply

Latest