The Student Room Group

Is there something wrong with wanting to be a housewife?

I have good grades and will be starting university this year but for a while now I've been really thinking about my future and keep coming back to this idea of being a housewife. I don't know why it appeals to me so much, I just really like the idea of taking care of someone and in turn receiving love, protection and stability. But for some reason, I feel like I can't explicitly state that to a future partner or to my family because I have come really far with education and don't want to disappoint anyone. We live in a feminist society and I think other girls will look down on me for choosing such a traditional route. I also have younger siblings and don't want to set a bad example for anyone. Is there something wrong with this? Do guys dislike a woman who wants something like this? Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Do whatever you want. Its your life. The right guy will appreciate your decision anyway.
nothing wrong with it x your free to choose what ever you want to do in life and what makes you happy
Nothing wrong with following what you want. In this country it is quite hard to raise a family on a single income, which is partly why over the years there are fewer and fewer housewives. Your life shouldn't be directed by what strangers think.
Original post by Anonymous
I have good grades and will be starting university this year but for a while now I've been really thinking about my future and keep coming back to this idea of being a housewife. I don't know why it appeals to me so much, I just really like the idea of taking care of someone and in turn receiving love, protection and stability. But for some reason, I feel like I can't explicitly state that to a future partner or to my family because I have come really far with education and don't want to disappoint anyone. We live in a feminist society and I think other girls will look down on me for choosing such a traditional route. I also have younger siblings and don't want to set a bad example for anyone. Is there something wrong with this? Do guys dislike a woman who wants something like this? Any thoughts?

It's your life and if you re partner is happy that you do that I can't see any problem with that :smile:
Our hope is that I can take at least a year out of working for each child we have, I don't want to be working solely to pay for their childcare and not much else.

We don't live in North Korea, this is a free country and you are free to choose to do whatever you would like. Other people's possible negative perceptions of your life choice is not your problem.

Being a housewife and raising children is no easy task and should always be respected.
You can be a housewife if you want.
Nothing wrong with that :smile:.

No, I like the idea, I don't want to come across as a shovanist but men and women are going to be different and always have done.
Reply 8
Original post by luckystars
Nothing wrong with following what you want. In this country it is quite hard to raise a family on a single income, which is partly why over the years there are fewer and fewer housewives. Your life shouldn't be directed by what strangers think.

Yeah that's a huge concern for me too - I don't want to end up in a stressful financial situation but at the same time I want to follow what I want but I understand it's increasingly difficult to go down that route.
Reply 9
Original post by Tony Manero
No, I like the idea, I don't want to come across as a shovanist but men and women are going to be different and always have done.

I get you, I don't want to be labelled regressive for wanting to go down that route.
Same. But I want a sugar daddy. And in return for stuff just say thank you. Unfortunately no sugar daddy will take a simple thank you as a sign of gratitude.
I get you, I don't want to be labelled regressive for wanting to go down that route.

I think it's a nice idea, what I would see as a 'warm and happy family' with the mother looking after the house and kids and the man the bread earner. It's got that traditional feel! If only there were more girls like you!
Original post by Cubone-r
We don't live in North Korea, this is a free country and you are free to choose to do whatever you would like. Other people's possible negative perceptions of your life choice is not your problem.

Being a housewife and raising children is no easy task and should always be respected.

I agree, I live around people who seem to think it's weak a thing to do and that strong/powerful women don't have time for that
Same. But I want a sugar daddy. And in return for stuff just say thank you. Unfortunately no sugar daddy will take a simple thank you as a sign of gratitude.

well technically it's kind of like having a sugar daddy :colone:
I think it's a nice idea, what I would see as a 'warm and happy family' with the mother looking after the house and kids and the man the bread earner. It's got that traditional feel! If only there were more girls like you!

well no family is perfect and I dont look down on women who don't choose that, but I like the vibe of being a housewife - more time for kids and my partner.
well no family is perfect and I dont look down on women who don't choose that, but I like the vibe of being a housewife - more time for kids and my partner.

Good, you should follow what you want to be, no matter what anyone thinks,
Original post by claireestelle
It's your life and if you re partner is happy that you do that I can't see any problem with that :smile:
Our hope is that I can take at least a year out of working for each child we have, I don't want to be working solely to pay for their childcare and not much else.

My only concern is what would I do if my partner isnt comfortable with it - is it something I should state early on in the relationship?
Good, you should follow what you want to be, no matter what anyone thinks,

thank ya:u:
Original post by bobby147
You can be a housewife if you want.
Nothing wrong with that :smile:.

thank you:tongue:
My only concern is what would I do if my partner isnt comfortable with it - is it something I should state early on in the relationship?

Yes I think it's part of an important conversation to have when things get serious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending