The Student Room Group

Opinion Poll: Could you survive student life without The Student Room?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tony Manero
Haha! Pathetic

Be honest with me, and if so, tell me why you chose to do this: When was the last time you sent a letter to a friend?
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Be honest with me, and if so, tell me why you chose to do this: When was the last time you sent a letter to a friend?

I've never sent a letter but I do telephone.
this site is convenient but it is no substitute for talking to lecturers about what I am signing up for so I am definitely not reliant on it.
I do seem to have made a new friend here who is moving to my area and starting at the same uni as I am so there are uses other than asking/answering questions.

technology is not the problem. How you utilise technology is the problem.
The only time I have every used it for genuine purposes have been for:
- GCSE exam 'answers'
- A-level exam 'answers'
- Applying to university (i.e. stalking my university's forum)
- Applying to GEM (very useful for this).
I've never sent a letter but I do telephone.

Does that not make you reliant on technology? Why is telephoning someone so much better than texting someone?
Does that not make you reliant on technology? Why is telephoning someone so much better than texting someone?

You make a connection with someone. You actually hear the voice which can convey emotions. A text message on a machine is impersonal and emotionless.

Was talking about modern technology too...
You make a connection with someone. You actually hear the voice which can convey emotions. A text message on a machine is impersonal and emotionless.

Was talking about modern technology too...

It's pretty simple to convey emotions over text messaging. There is nothing impersonal about it, especially if you are talking to a friend who is in a different time zone or is not alway available. You can send snapchats too if you're really that bothered about hearing someone else's voice. Texting facilitates the situation, without making massive drawbacks.
It's pretty simple to convey emotions over text messaging. There is nothing impersonal about it, especially if you are talking to a friend who is in a different time zone or is not alway available. You can send snapchats too if you're really that bothered about hearing someone else's voice. Texting facilitates the situation, without making massive drawbacks.

What? How do you convey emotions through text? How can the person reading a few words understand the context?
I see what you are saying but it still is relying upon the technology.

You know map making and reading is still 'technology'.

It's why many strategy video games have 'tech' tree. And tbh every generation in recorded history have had 'concerns' of people relying on technology and new social features. It's resulted in a couple of dark ages but on a whole has been totally beneficial.
If anything, I'd probably getting more A*s than As if it wasn't for this website!
I still keep coming back though..
Original post by DanB1991
You know map making and reading is still 'technology'.

It's why many strategy video games have 'tech' tree. And tbh every generation in recorded history have had 'concerns' of people relying on technology and new social features. It's resulted in a couple of dark ages but on a whole has been totally beneficial.

Dark ages? What dark ages?

Original post by AryanGh
If anything, I'd probably getting more A*s than As if it wasn't for this website!
I still keep coming back though..

Haha
Haha! Pathetic

:stupid::stupid:

Thanks for derailing the thread guys :biggrin:
Original post by Batgirl98
Thanks for derailing the thread guys :biggrin:

I know it has gone totally in a different route.
What? How do you convey emotions through text? How can the person reading a few words understand the context?

Emojis? The context in which you're messaging the person? Most phones these days show the past messages, so you understand the context?
Emojis? The context in which you're messaging the person? Most phones these days show the past messages, so you understand the context?

Yeah whatever.
I have 6,500-ish posts on here and I think only 20 or so were questions about my education or other important stuff. Entertainment wise I'd soon find something else to do, so yeah I could probably do without if I had to.
Have you heard of the telephone. A letter even.

Alternatively: Quick facebook group chat with everybody you wanna invite out, "oi lads sesh tomoz yeah?", everybody knows, it's taken 5 minutes, everybody involved can now begin to synchronise their schedules, good job lads we're being social af
Dark ages? What dark ages?

Well the most famous being 'The Dark ages' aka the Medieval Dark Age
Then you have the Bronze Age Collapse, The Greek Dark Ages and The Irish Dark Ages being the most famous.

Quick Reply

Latest