The Student Room Group

MSc Options after Third Class Honours Degree

Hello everyone, I have a question thats been troubling me for a while since I am close to graduation.

I will be finishing my Bachelor's in Civil Engineering in January from outside the Uk at an ABET accredited university. Which is an american system.

My problem is I was a very good student in High School and had very high grades but as soon as I entered college I slacked off. My GPA plumitted and I cannot pick it up. I have been getting good grades the past two years of college after waking up from the dark place I was in. Im probably graduating with a 2.3-2.4 american GPA. But my Program GPA is around 2.6.

My question is do you think I can use my program GPA to get my acceptance into Engineering Management Masters which requires a 2:2. I also have an Internship at PARSONS about engineering Management. I am a very good student now and get really good grades and have a few recommendation letters. I really hope my previous stupidity does not affect my future.

Thank you for your time.
You can try - but honestly you will have problems getting a place at a credible UK University. You will also have to pay overseas fees and is it really worth that amount of $$ - you will still have a weak undergrad degree, a Masters will not change that. And if you couldn't raise enough enthusiasm to do your undergrad degree properly, what hope have you got at a more demanding level?
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
You can try - but honestly you will have problems getting a place at a credible UK University. You will also have to pay overseas fees and is it really worth that amount of $$ - you will still have a weak undergrad degree, a Masters will not change that. And if you couldn't raise enough enthusiasm to do your undergrad degree properly, what hope have you got at a more demanding level?

I understand and completely agree, but money thankfully is not an issue. Regarding the enthusiasm, I was having a few personal issues and I was not giving my undergrad my full potential. I am now one of the top students in all my classes, won first place country on my Senior Research Project. So enthusiasm is not an issue anymore and I can and know I will be able to complete my masters. It's just an issue of being accepted at this point.
If money is not an issue, then think seriously about doing a 4 year UK integrated Masters (undergrad and Masters level combined) - this will give you the credibility of a UK degree hopefully with a good enough result that will 'replace' your previous weak effort (just dont put it on your CV) and you could then apply for a conventional UK graduate Masters with much better chance of success - not just 'getting in' but actually getting a good degree.

Suggestions for Civils :

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/undergraduate/courses/civil_engineering/hk21_meng_civil_engineering_and_architecture.page

https://engineering.leeds.ac.uk/info/201363/undergraduate/34/meng_or_beng
Original post by Bader520
I understand and completely agree, but money thankfully is not an issue. Regarding the enthusiasm, I was having a few personal issues and I was not giving my undergrad my full potential. I am now one of the top students in all my classes, won first place country on my Senior Research Project. So enthusiasm is not an issue anymore and I can and know I will be able to complete my masters. It's just an issue of being accepted at this point.

If you were having serious issue during your UG degree then you should have brought that to the attention of your department/ exams officer. You could have filled out a good cause form and they would have taken that into consideration and removed grades from your classification that were earned during your "issues"or whatever.
Reply 5
Hello everyone, I have a question thats been troubling me for a while since I am close to graduation.

I will be finishing my Bachelor's in Civil Engineering in January from outside the Uk at an ABET accredited university. Which is an american system.

My problem is I was a very good student in High School and had very high grades but as soon as I entered college I slacked off. My GPA plumitted and I cannot pick it up. I have been getting good grades the past two years of college after waking up from the dark place I was in. Im probably graduating with a 2.3-2.4 american GPA. But my Program GPA is around 2.6.

My question is do you think I can use my program GPA to get my acceptance into Engineering Management Masters which requires a 2:2. I also have an Internship at PARSONS about engineering Management. I am a very good student now and get really good grades and have a few recommendation letters. I really hope my previous stupidity does not affect my future.

Thank you for your time.

Look for a uni which will allow you to register for a PGDip - just the two taught terms of a standard UK Masters. If you do well in those, some unis will let 2:2 entrants then continue to the dissertation in the third term, which would give you the full Masters qualification.

You'll need to shop around a bit, as not all unis/courses offer this option. Be prepared to email a few Admissions Offices as well.

Thank you for your time.

It'll obviously be more tricky than if you achieved a better grade, but it might not be impossible. One thing, and I'm not sure if this is still the case now, is that actually quite few engineering undergrads go on to MSc degrees given that many will do the MEng if they want a masters level degree, which may make things less competitive.
Reply 7
Which uni do this because I have a similar issue
Why not work for a bit first?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending