The Student Room Group

Is 5 too much?

Hi.I'm a student who loves maths.To satisfy my parents i decided to do medicine in future and i thought of doing maths and further maths for my a/l. But my parents are forcing me to drop maths and concentrate completely on science.I'm totally against it but i'm scared that if i do 5 subjects and mess up my parents would be totally upset.Though i'm not a class topper i get good marks. i get nearly 100 % for maths.So is it hard for a student like me to do physics, chemistry, biology, maths ,further maths and get into a good uni?
Reply 1
Original post by stp2002
Hi.I'm a student who loves maths.To satisfy my parents i decided to do medicine in future and i thought of doing maths and further maths for my a/l. But my parents are forcing me to drop maths and concentrate completely on science.I'm totally against it but i'm scared that if i do 5 subjects and mess up my parents would be totally upset.Though i'm not a class topper i get good marks. i get nearly 100 % for maths.So is it hard for a student like me to do physics, chemistry, biology, maths ,further maths and get into a good uni?

Well, I took 6 classes the first semester and nearly got kicked out because I did so horribly. 5 is bit much, especially for math or science. 4 is the best bet, especially if you have no scholarship.
Reply 2
4 is very difficult, especially as they're 4 of the hardest A-Levels.

5 is near-impossible.
Original post by stp2002

The only person I can think of who can offer advice on doing 5 A-levels is a youtuber called Chidera Ota, search her up, currently does medicine at Cambridge and as far as I can remember she did those same 5 A levels
It will take a lot of time and motivation to become a doctor. If your heart isn't in it, then you probably shouldn't do it. What do you want to do?
Original post by stp2002

You should never make a life choice just to satisfy your parents. Your parents need to chill.
Reply 6
thnx for the replies:h:
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV
It will take a lot of time and motivation to become a doctor. If your heart isn't in it, then you probably shouldn't do it. What do you want to do?

well i don't have i anything i'm particularly interested in. But i'm okay with doing medicine as long as i'm allowed to do maths.
Original post by stp2002
well i don't have i anything i'm particularly interested in. But i'm okay with doing medicine as long as i'm allowed to do maths.

Maths is related to the sciences obviously and you don't need to do all 3 of the sciences to do medicine. I've heard that they actually like a variety of subjects and I don't think physics is needed at all. Talk to your parents and try to compromise. You're the one who will have to study the subjects and you have a right to be happy.
Ive just done my a levels and I couldn't manage 2 sciences lol never mind all and and maths as well ( i dropped maths at start of AS). If you think you can manage all of them together and prepared to sacrifice SO MUCH of your time then go for it. But tbh 5 seems too much. If I were you and really wants to get into medicine I would stick with Biology Chemistry and Maths. I have mates that got offers doing only 3 of them and I myself was planning to do medicine until I chose biomed instead.
I did 5 AS-Levels when I was in year 12 (I have just finished year 13). I chose Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Latin AS. There is no denying that it requires hard work to do 5 AS-Levels and do well in each subject. I chose to do 5 because I thought I enjoyed all the subjects, but the workload I had meant I wasn't enjoying Latin AS so I dropped it. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have taken that fifth AS-Level as it seems it was unecessary. I would suggest you think very carefully about doing 5 AS Levels as it is difficult and I had to work hard throughout the year. Doing 5 A2 Levels would be a lot more difficult and could hinder your university application process significantly, so you should probably talk to your parents/teachers more about it. I personally would avoid doing 5 A2 Levels if you can.
Reply 11
Original post by stp2002

Medicine generally requires biology and chemistry. Some universities also like a 3rd science, but that 3rd science can be Maths, it doesn't have to be Physics.

So that's Bio, Chem & Maths nailed in for medicine. Next, it's not uncommon to add FM as a 4th A-level (although it's not required).

You can keep your parents happy AND get into a good university for medicine (all medschools are good by the way, but let's leave that discussion for later) AND do lots of Maths.

Just drop Physics.

Sorted.

Edit: hold on, you don't want to do medicine? What do *you* want to do?
(edited 6 years ago)
No! You need your 5-a-day to remain healthy
Original post by stp2002

Do what you love and (I'm saying this as a parent) ignore your parents. Do not pick a career based on what your parents want - you will regret it. You need to be particularly passionate about medicine to go into it. If you are, I'd drop Physics.

Doing five 'A' levels is a massive risk to your results, and therefore getting into a competitive university. Four (M+FM+2 others) would be more reasonable, but only if you enjoy them all.

Quick Reply