The Student Room Group

Jumping from GCSE's to a levels helppp☹️

I finished my GCSE's a few weeks ago, and I'm starting a levels in September and I'm not really sure what workcto do over the summer just so I have a bit of a head start..
I'm doing aqa psychology , biology and chemistry but I'm not sure what exam board yet for bio and chem. would really appreciate any ideas anyone had to get me slightly ahead. The sixth form I'm going to have only given us books and some links to read but not sure wether I should be making some notes or what!!
Thank you in advance!!!
Original post by Sophief2000
I finished my GCSE's a few weeks ago, and I'm starting a levels in September and I'm not really sure what workcto do over the summer just so I have a bit of a head start..
I'm doing aqa psychology , biology and chemistry but I'm not sure what exam board yet for bio and chem. would really appreciate any ideas anyone had to get me slightly ahead. The sixth form I'm going to have only given us books and some links to read but not sure wether I should be making some notes or what!!
Thank you in advance!!!

Biology and Chemistry will probably be AQA . YOU NEED to know how to apply knowledge use the mark scheme and um there are a few revision things and guides on getrevising.com i recommend you use this. AS can be difficult at first but once you put the work in you'll be fine dw
Reply 2
none..just have fun and relax! i didn't do anything and still got good grades so honestly it wont make much of a difference if you work hard during the actual school year :smile:
Hi, Ive actually just finished my first year of college and do exactly the same subjects that youre about to delve into. One word of advice, dont spend this summer trying to 'work' or get a headstart on A Levels. This is the only summer you will get in a long time where you're actually able to have a little freedom without worrying about stressing over exams so make the most of it, binge watch tv shows, find work experience if you want to have a job that requires it. Sure you can look at the AQA specifications but chances are, you wont understand a thing. I remember being in your position last year, really keen on getting a head start with revision but i think its best to wait until college starts as no one can teach you new content better than the teachers themselves. Theres no point making notes now because youre going to have to make loads of notes in AS and your notes right now might be inaccurate. The best thing to do is to look at specifications and think about future careers, and most importantly, enjoy your summer! Do NCS, build volunteering opportunities to help with your personal statement....hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by shawnmendesfan
as no one can teach you new content better than the teachers themselves.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this is just patently untrue.
Hey the best thing you can do now is enjoy your summer. Maybe look at future careers if your bothered.I found with GCSEs that I relaxed most of the year and started revising a few weeks before exams. With a-levels i realised I had to understand the content as I went through the year because doing it the night before the exams wasn't going to get me good grades. So as I was learning the topics in class I would make sure that each topic was understood and practiced questions for each topic. This made it easier when it came to the exams at the end of the year. Btw I got 5A* 5As at gcse and AAAA in AS in maths Chem bio and eco and got A*A*A at a level. Good luck with results day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Boredom101
Biology and Chemistry will probably be AQA . YOU NEED to know how to apply knowledge use the mark scheme and um there are a few revision things and guides on getrevising.com i recommend you use this. AS can be difficult at first but once you put the work in you'll be fine dw

Ahh thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by d.ecay
none..just have fun and relax! i didn't do anything and still got good grades so honestly it wont make much of a difference if you work hard during the actual school year :smile:

Hmm okay thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by shawnmendesfan
Hi, Ive actually just finished my first year of college and do exactly the same subjects that youre about to delve into. One word of advice, dont spend this summer trying to 'work' or get a headstart on A Levels. This is the only summer you will get in a long time where you're actually able to have a little freedom without worrying about stressing over exams so make the most of it, binge watch tv shows, find work experience if you want to have a job that requires it. Sure you can look at the AQA specifications but chances are, you wont understand a thing. I remember being in your position last year, really keen on getting a head start with revision but i think its best to wait until college starts as no one can teach you new content better than the teachers themselves. Theres no point making notes now because youre going to have to make loads of notes in AS and your notes right now might be inaccurate. The best thing to do is to look at specifications and think about future careers, and most importantly, enjoy your summer! Do NCS, build volunteering opportunities to help with your personal statement....hope this helps!

Yes that's very true!! And yes I'll just have a read of the specification probably. Thank you very much !
Reply 9
Original post by Nadim123456
Hey the best thing you can do now is enjoy your summer. Maybe look at future careers if your bothered.I found with GCSEs that I relaxed most of the year and started revising a few weeks before exams. With a-levels i realised I had to understand the content as I went through the year because doing it the night before the exams wasn't going to get me good grades. So as I was learning the topics in class I would make sure that each topic was understood and practiced questions for each topic. This made it easier when it came to the exams at the end of the year. Btw I got 5A* 5As at gcse and AAAA in AS in maths Chem bio and eco and got A*A*A at a level. Good luck with results day!
Posted TSR Mobile

Omg that's so amazing, well done!! Thank you for the tips, means a lot!! What are you doing now that you've done your a levels?
Original post by Sophief2000
Omg that's so amazing, well done!! Thank you for the tips, means a lot!! What are you doing now that you've done your a levels?

thanks im studying economics at UCL

Quick Reply

Latest