The Student Room Group

Do universities still care about AS grades?

I encountered this in Bath's 2018 prospectus:

To ensure fairness for all applicants while AS and A levels are changing across the UK, we will not take your performance in any AS levels into account in decision making.

So does this mean that someone who achieved an E in AS Maths but predicted an A - obviously this won't happen but I'm just giving an example - will have the same chance of receiving an offer as someone who achieved an A and is also predicted an A?

I spoke to their recruitment officer about this, and they explained that it's because they know you can retake your AS exams in Year 13 so you can basically start your A Levels again.

@Doonesbury what do you think? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Possibly, but how would would someone who got a B, let alone an E, get predicted an A? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by honour

To ensure fairness for all applicants while AS and A levels are changing across the UK, we will not take your performance in any AS levels into account in decision making.

So does this mean that someone who achieved an E in AS Maths but predicted an A - obviously this won't happen but I'm just giving an example - will have the same chance of receiving an offer as someone who achieved an A and is also predicted an A?

I spoke to their recruitment officer about this, and they explained that it's because they know you can retake your AS exams in Year 13 so you can basically start your A Levels again.

Predictions are based on AS grades, so while AS grades won't directly be taken into account, they will indirectly affect chances of admission greatly. Also, Bath is only one university: some others might still take AS grades into account.
Original post by Batgirl98
Possibly, but how would would someone who got a B, let alone an E, get predicted an A? :s-smilie:

I got a B in one of my AS subjects and was predicted an A. Entirely possible
Reply 4

My Maths teacher said if we're a few UMS off the next grade, 2 marks of an A for example, they will still predict us an A if we show strong evidence in class that we're capable, which could be consistently achieving As in class assessments but all of sudden getting a B in the real exam.
Original post by Sacred Ground
I got a B in one of my AS subjects and was predicted an A. Entirely possible

That's good to know, congrats btw :biggrin:
That's good to know, congrats btw :biggrin:

The sarcasm tho. I was merely disproving your point
The sarcasm tho. I was merely disproving your point

I see. Whose sarcasm were you referring to, then?
I see. Whose sarcasm were you referring to, then?

Idk maybe the person I quoted? You? Idk just a thought
Idk maybe the person I quoted? You? Idk just a thought

Lol that's ok, I genuinely meant it tho, didn't want it to come across as sarcasm sorry :colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by honour

@Doonesbury what do you think? :smile:

Yes. Bristol also ignore AS-levels already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending