The Student Room Group

Lease a car or finance?

Hello which is a better option and why? Lease a car or finance a car?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stack__

Moved to Cars and Motoring

I am going to tag our Car expert @IWMTom
Original post by stack__

It depends on the offer .. do the arithmetic for both options on cars you are interested in.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
It depends on the offer .. do the arithmetic for both options on cars you are interested in.

Ok let's say you earn about 25k a year and u pay £1000 mortgage do you think it's a smart idea to lease or finance ?
Original post by stack__
Ok let's say you earn about 25k a year and u pay £1000 mortgage do you think it's a smart idea to lease or finance ?

It depends - a colleague has a 0% finance deal on her Citigo car. She worked out that was cheaper than a lease.

You need to look at the car you want and go and get quotes - it depends on the car and the deals out there.
It's too simplistic a question. They are both forms of finance. You get a car and they get payments from you over time. Which is better depends on the terms of the respective agreements.
Reply 6
Original post by Sternumator
It's too simplistic a question. They are both forms of finance. You get a car and they get payments from you over time. Which is better depends on the terms of the respective agreements.

But finance you keep and lease you change every couple years and get a newer one but I guess it just depends on the person and their salary id personally go for leasing
Original post by stack__
But finance you keep and lease you change every couple years and get a newer one but I guess it just depends on the person and their salary id personally go for leasing

What is better, renting a house or buying one with a mortgage? It depends.
Reply 8
Original post by Sternumator
What is better, renting a house or buying one with a mortgage? It depends.

House is a whole differing thing lol keep houses out of this
Reply 9
As I'm sure @WoodyMKC will tell you, leasing is generally much more cost effective as the maintenance is all thrown in, unlike generic financing.
Original post by stack__

PCP finance means you pay off a final sum or trade in for another car.
It's a third option -

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-finance/personal-contract-purchase
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
As I'm sure @WoodyMKC will tell you, leasing is generally much more cost effective as the maintenance is all thrown in, unlike generic financing.

Well said, as usual!
Original post by stack__

Save up and buy a car you can afford. Get one at least 3 to 4 years old because the largest chunk of devaluation has already happened otherwise with finance you will be in negative equity until the very end of the term and you''ll be better off not having those monthly payments hanging over you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Steljoy
Well said, as usual!

Love you :love:
Original post by Aidan.reed
Save up and buy a car you can afford. Get one at least 3/4 years old because the largest chunk of devaluation has already happened otherwise with finance you will be in negative equity until the very end of the term and you''ll be better off not having those monthly payments hanging over you.

A car that's 3/4 years old will be so expensive
Original post by cherryred90s

Hence 'That you can afford' that was the minimum age. The monthly payments are what are expensive and when it comes to the end of your term or you trade up half way through they take the negative equity across to a new loan at that point you're in the cycle. What can you afford to buy out right and what cars are you looking at on finance?
Reply 16

I'm going to hazard a guess the poster meant 3 to 4 years, not three quarters of a year.
Original post by IWMTom
I'm going to hazard a guess the poster meant 3 to 4 years, not three quarters of a year.

Yeah I know, but wouldn't that still be expensive? Like a 2013 car ?
Reply 18
Yeah I know, but wouldn't that still be expensive? Like a 2013 car ?

In comparison to a brand new car, no, definitely not. Mileage dependant, it'd be affordable for the vast majority of people - expense is subjective towards your financial situation, though.
Original post by IWMTom

Yes I apologise for the confusion I will edit it now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending