The Student Room Group

Really scared please help!!!!!!!!!

Please hear me out!!! I've always been predicted an a* in math but I think I have made some mistakes this time .I did edexcel igcse math b exam and I think that I just got enough marks to scrape an a*.Can past gcse students tell me stories of their math exam going bad but still you being ended up with good grades.

Scroll to see replies

I seriously wouldn't worry about the difference between an A and A* in your GCSE, unless you're targetted for A*'s in EVERY SINGLE subject and expecting to get into Oxford, it won't have hardly any relevance to your future. :smile:
Original post by arizonaidiot
Please hear me out!!! I've always been predicted an a* in math but I think I have made some mistakes this time .I did edexcel igcse math b exam and I think that I just got enough marks to scrape an a*.Can past gcse students tell me stories of their math exam going bad but still you being ended up with good grades.

In my t6 paper people kept telling me I got the wrong answer for questions and they were right etc etc...I got full marks, hope that helps!
Original post by loooopppyyy
I seriously wouldn't worry about the difference between an A and A* in your GCSE, unless you're targetted for A*'s in EVERY SINGLE subject and expecting to get into Oxford, it won't have hardly any relevance to your future. :smile:

You are right about that but still my teacher really has high hopes for me.
Original post by cait1239
In my t6 paper people kept telling me I got the wrong answer for questions and they were right etc etc...I got full marks, hope that helps!

Whoa! Hope that happens to me too. Thanks for commenting.
Just remember you don't need to get full marks on the exam to get full UMS. Sometimes the UMS score for an A* can be something like 97/120 which means you can afford to drop a few marks (I'm just giving that score as an example!). If you're used to being perfect at a subject then you might be more conscious of dropping the odd mark than the normal person, so you can still have done extremely well!

I know it's natural to stress, but you can't do anything about it now so you might as well try and relax and deal with results when you get to it.
I thought I did poorly in my GCSE maths exam.... I forgot to divide the area of a stupid triangle by 2.
I got an A* anyway, now I am doing A level maths and predicted an A.
Everyone makes a stupid mistake every so often, but don't let it get to you. Good luck for your results!
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Just remember you don't need to get full marks on the exam to get full UMS. Sometimes the UMS score for an A* can be something like 97/120 which means you can afford to drop a few marks (I'm just giving that score as an example!). If you're used to being perfect at a subject then you might be more conscious of dropping the odd mark than the normal person, so you can still have done extremely well!

I know it's natural to stress, but you can't do anything about it now so you might as well try and relax and deal with results when you get to it.

Yeah you'r right about that but the grade boundaries for edexcel igcse maths b are usually 79%-84% for a* and i usually get like 89%-92% so i am really desperate for that a*:colone: but coming out of that exam,i think i got 79% and this has really taken a toll on my confidence:frown:.Thank you for replying tho,appreciate it:smile:.
Original post by OwlOfFire
I thought I did poorly in my GCSE maths exam.... I forgot to divide the area of a stupid triangle by 2.
I got an A* anyway, now I am doing A level maths and predicted an A.
Everyone makes a stupid mistake every so often, but don't let it get to you. Good luck for your results!

Thanks for commenting.What I'm most worried about is the vector question.The entire question was divided into 5 parts(a,b,c,d,e) and the last part carried 6 marks.Problem is that I did the part before that question wrong (which was worth 1 mark) so i ended up using the wrong values in the last part which resulted in the answer being wrong.How many marks would i lose.
I know its hard when you feel like your whole life rides on these exams. - I have been there too.
However I would say you just need to think positive. You will know in a few weeks what you got.
Getting an A*, A or B would not really make much difference to your chances for A levels, College, Uni or the future - all three grades are excellent!!!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by janeesmith
I know its hard when you feel like your whole life rides on these exams. - I have been there too.
However I would say you just need to think positive. You will know in a few weeks what you got.
Getting an A*, A or B would not really make much difference to your chances for A levels, College, Uni or the future - all three grades are excellent!!!

Good luck :smile:

What I'm most worried about is the vector question.The entire question was divided into 5 parts(a,b,c,d,e) and the last part carried 6 marks.Problem is that I did the part before that question wrong (which was worth 1 mark) so i ended up using the wrong values in the last part which resulted in the answer being wrong.How many marks would i lose.

Please please please don't panic, i'm sure you'll be fine. GCSEs aren't the end of the world, and if you've been predicted an a* and get an a or a b, your teachers will be able to help you. The NUMBER ONE rule out of exams, is DON'T COMMUNICATE TO OTHERS AFTERWARDS!! Everyone gets different answers, so DO NOT PANIC, you will get follow through marks! Please avoid that, it will only stress you out.
Original post by pessim
Please please please don't panic, i'm sure you'll be fine. GCSEs aren't the end of the world, and if you've been predicted an a* and get an a or a b, your teachers will be able to help you. The NUMBER ONE rule out of exams, is DON'T COMMUNICATE TO OTHERS AFTERWARDS!! Everyone gets different answers, so DO NOT PANIC, you will get follow through marks! Please avoid that, it will only stress you out.

Thank you it means alot ,also how many marks will i lose
Thanks for commenting.What I'm most worried about is the vector question.The entire question was divided into 5 parts(a,b,c,d,e) and the last part carried 6 marks.Problem is that I did the part before that question wrong (which was worth 1 mark) so i ended up using the wrong values in the last part which resulted in the answer being wrong.How many marks would i lose.

You will get "carry forward marks" which means you will not loose all 6 marks. If you got the right answer for your value from the previous question, then you will only drop one accuracy mark. So you may get 5/6.
Thank you it means alot ,also how many marks will i lose

I don't know, just put the paper behind you until you get your results back, focus on fun activities in the meanwhile, it'll go away shortly.
Original post by OwlOfFire
You will get "carry forward marks" which means you will not loose all 6 marks. If you got the right answer for your value from the previous question, then you will only drop one accuracy mark. So you may get 5/6.

that's a relief,good to hear that:smile:
Original post by pessim
I don't know, just put the paper behind you until you get your results back, focus on fun activities in the meanwhile, it'll go away shortly.

yeah i'll try to do that thanks for your suggestion:wink:
that's a relief,good to hear that:smile:

Did your teacher not tell you about that? If you get the working out correct but make a silly mistake half way through you will get a lot of marks for the question.
Original post by pessim
Did your teacher not tell you about that? If you get the working out correct but make a silly mistake half way through you will get a lot of marks for the question.

Nope,they always told me i would lose all the marks if i got the answer wrong,regardless of the working.
oh yeah one more thing,how did you do in your exams,what were your feelings coming out of the exam hall and what grades did you end up getting

Quick Reply

Latest