The Student Room Group

Refused alcohol

I was wondering if any one can help me out

I went into a supermarket with my pregnant girlfriend went to buy some alcohol but they refused because my girlfriend didn't have any id which was fair enough.
So I took my girlfriend home and returned about 40 minutes later to then buy the alcohol they then again refused because I was in there earlier but at this point I was on my own and they then tried to say I could be buying it for her to take home and give it to her saying she was underage
Can the store do this ??
Original post by Curwen8

I went into a supermarket with my pregnant girlfriend went to buy some alcohol but they refused because my girlfriend didn't have any id which was fair enough.
So I took my girlfriend home and returned about 40 minutes later to then buy the alcohol they then again refused because I was in there earlier but at this point I was on my own and they then tried to say I could be buying it for her to take home and give it to her saying she was underage
Can the store do this ??

Yes, the store has the right to withhold selling alcohol if they believe the buyer will give it to someone underage. If the store is caught doing this, then it can be fined thousands of pounds, so it is not in their interest, and employees can lose their jobs over it too.
Original post by Curwen8

Can the store do this ??

Yes, there is nothing compelling them to serve you. Go to a different shop.
Reply 3
0/10.
Why did you not try a different shop?
Reply 5
Original post by Curwen8

Can the store do this ??

Yes.

If you look under 25 they are entitled to insist on ID. And if they suspect you are buying for a minor then they can also refuse. Your gf didn't show ID to establish she isn't a minor.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/buying-alcohol/
(edited 6 years ago)
You should of gone back again with her id as well just to show them up :biggrin:.
Reply 7
Original post by I am a Stick
You should of gone back again with her id as well just to show them up :biggrin:.

Although why a pregnant woman wants alcohol is a whole different problem.
Original post by Doonesbury

I assumed the alcohol was just for the boyfriend and the supermarket just refused to sell them alcohol because he was with someone who looked underage. If it was for the girlfriend then yeah, there is a problem.

Edit: Then again there are some people that think that a small amount of alcohol isn't a problem and is even beneficial because it reduces stress. I don't know if it is true or not. If the drink was for her then I don't really know enough about what stage of pregnancy and how much she was going to have to have a good opinion on it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury

The alcohol wasn't for her it was for me she hasn't touched a drop off alcohol since we found out she was
Reply 10
Original post by I am a Stick

She didn't want to come back she was tired otherwise would off
Reply 11
Original post by Curwen8
The alcohol wasn't for her it was for me she hasn't touched a drop off alcohol since we found out she was

Ok that's cool. Go to a different shop...
Reply 12
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Why did you not try a different shop?

The alcohol I wanted was on sale in that shop which was cheaper than anywhere else
Original post by Curwen8
She didn't want to come back she was tired otherwise would off

Since the shop remembered her, you could of brought her ID without her coming if she's ok with it.
Reply 14
Original post by Curwen8
The alcohol I wanted was on sale in that shop which was cheaper than anywhere else

How much did it cost to travel home, and then return to the same shop and return empty-handed? Versus the cost of going to a different shop...

Anyway, the bottomline line is yes the shop can serve who it wants and certainly for alcohol was correct in its decision making.

And you may find you'll have problems buying from there in the future unless you return with your gf and her ID.

So for the meantime you will need to use a different shop anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending