The Student Room Group

Private candidate confusion regarding AS reforms...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S2M
Oh ok! So can you do AS and A2 separately? If A2 is 3 papers, then why do they even have AS?

There is no "A2" in the new specifications. You have AS and you have full A level..
There are 3 A level exams that test everything you have learned over the full, usually two year, maths A level course. You can optionally take an AS after the first year but you don't have to and the result you get won't count towards the final A level result. People might take the AS if they don't plan to take the full A level or are not sure if they might drop it. They may also take it if they or their school want them to take a public exam rather than an internal end of year progress test that gives them a verifiable, recognised qualification along with good revision and exam practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by S2M
They got straight to the point. :smile: If you check the really top universities, they all need them. This centre that you've found, do they let you do any science practicals?

Screw the elitist unis haha. I've found quite a few that accept practicals, you know. They're not hard to find. If you tell me your city I might be able to give you an even cheaper location because I've looked around A LOT so I'll save you the time :P. Only issue for us is we don't know if they do exams in 2018 because they haven't been updated and won't until Sept. So emailing works lol.
Reply 22
Original post by gdunne42
There is no "A2" in the new specifications. You have AS and you have full A level..
There are 3 A level exams that test everything you have learned over the full, usually two year, maths A level course. You can optionally take an AS after the first year but you don't have to and the result you get won't count towards the final A level result. People might take the AS if they don't plan to take the full A level or are not sure if they might drop it. They may also take it if they or their school want them to take a public exam rather than an internal end of year progress test that gives them a verifiable, recognised qualification along with good revision and exam practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok, thank you for telling me.
Reply 23
Original post by S2M
They got straight to the point. :smile: If you check the really top universities, they all need them. This centre that you've found, do they let you do any science practicals?

Which unis are you applying to? Cambridge (or oxford) and shiz? haha
Reply 24
Original post by august11
Screw the elitist unis haha. I've found quite a few that accept practicals, you know. They're not hard to find. If you tell me your city I might be able to give you an even cheaper location because I've looked around A LOT so I'll save you the time :P. Only issue for us is we don't know if they do exams in 2018 because they haven't been updated and won't until Sept. So emailing works lol.

I'm in Stamford, but I don't think there are any. :frown:
Reply 25
Which unis are you applying to? Cambridge (or oxford) and shiz? haha

No lol, I was just a saying that.
Reply 26
Original post by S2M
No lol, I was just a saying that.

So you're not a private candidate? Confused. I don't need to do practicals haha. If you are and you're not going to top Unis why do you want to do practicals?
Reply 27
So you're not a private candidate? Confused. I don't need to do practicals haha. If you are and you're not going to top Unis why do you want to do practicals?

I might apply to them in the future. Unis like Warwick, Bristol and UEA require them yet they're not the best universities if you get what I mean.
Reply 28
Original post by S2M
I might apply to them in the future. Unis like Warwick, Bristol and UEA require them yet they're not the best universities if you get what I mean.

Yeah I remember them stating that. Are you sure they don't mean you only need them if you've been registered for them like Exeter and Surrey? You should totally ask if private candidates are immune because sometimes they give us exceptions.
Reply 29
Yeah I remember them stating that. Are you sure they don't mean you only need them if you've been registered for them like Exeter and Surrey? You should totally ask if private candidates are immune because sometimes they give us exceptions.

Thanks, I'll ask. :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by S2M
Thanks, I'll ask. :smile:

By the way, I wasn't ignoring your question about schools that do practicals. I just don't want to annoy people by having 100000 messages in this thread. Can't seem to inbox you though? ;o
Reply 31
By the way, I wasn't ignoring your question about schools that do practicals. I just don't want to annoy people by having 100000 messages in this thread. Can't seem to inbox you though? ;o

It's fine, if you can't inbox me here then tell me in here please. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by S2M
It's fine, if you can't inbox me here then tell me in here please. :smile:

Okay so first question would be do you have a car? http://www.wsfc.ac.uk/options/option2/pdf/1/Private%20Candidate%20Information.pdf seems to be the cheapest I've found, but it's all the way in Worcester. I don't have a car so boohoo. Definitely ask them if they do practicals - they do email back as I emailed recently and they mention practical assessors in that pdf I linked lol. And also they are letting private candidates in 2018. The fee is 130 per series and 16.99 (whatever your exam board says your papers are) per exam :O. So cheap, the rest clearly rip us off it's disgusting.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 33
Okay so first question would be do you have a car? http://www.wsfc.ac.uk/options/option2/pdf/1/Private%20Candidate%20Information.pdf seems to be the cheapest I've found, but it's all the way in Worcester. I don't have a car so boohoo. Definitely ask them if they do practicals - they do email back as I emailed recently and they mention practical assessors in that pdf I linked lol. And also they are letting private candidates in. The fee is 130 per series and 16.99 (whatever edexcel says your papers are) per exam :O. So cheap, the rest clearly rip us off it's disgusting.

Thanks. :smile: I don't yet but a bus will do lol.
Reply 34
Original post by S2M
Thanks. :smile: I don't yet but a bus will do lol.

You're much closer than I am, you'll probably pull it off. I'd have to pay about 500 quid by the time I'm done haha.
Reply 35
You're much closer than I am, you'll probably pull it off. I'd have to pay about 500 quid by the time I'm done haha.

True, still pretty far though. There's one in Peterborough but it doesn't do Physics exams or practicals.

Quick Reply

Latest