The Student Room Group

So the 13th Doctor was revealed as.....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Glassapple
If there was a female incarnation, you'd think it would have been mentioned at least once since 1963 when the show started. This is incredibly forced and badly done, just to please the political correctness gang.

think it was mentioned in that hand of fear that time lords could change gender js
Original post by QuantumSnowy
think it was mentioned in that hand of fear that time lords could change gender js

Time Lords are gender-benders?
Original post by uberteknik
Time Lords are gender-benders?

damn straight, or not

Spoiler

Has anyone in the BBC not thought that now the Doctor is a woman, she cannot be called a Time Lord and must now be referred to as a Time Lady?

Somehow doesn't have the same chutzpah.

Whatever next - GayLord?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uw0tm9
I didn't say it's sexist against men mate but you'll read what you want to so never mind. Don't bring the 1/13 argument because that just shows that the character is supposed to be male even if it's never outright said out loud. The alien argument is also bulls**t because we know some traits of the character as preserved after he regenerates and so far being a man is one of them.

The fact remains that the character wasn't changed to a woman because the story needed it to be. It's because they're trying to score brownie points and trying make themselves look super progressive and the whole "yeah, go women in media" thing which is very fake and disingenuous. I'm all for female characters but if you want a female character, write a new story and make a new show. Simply changing male character to female is p**sing on people's intelligence and taking a massive dump on the fans.

There's been a trend in recent years of just flicking a switch and changing male characters to female which is bs. Like I said, if you want female characters then write quite stories for them and I'm sure no one has anything against original female characters e.g. wonder woman.

the fact that its one in thirteen does not in anyway mean the character has to be male, some bits of the doctor's personality stay the same, true enough, but what bits of that personality are in any way exclusively male, and why does sex have to be kept a constant?

Its been in doctor who canon since as early (i can't remember earlier, though there might be) as tom baker's time, if anything canonwise, its weird that the doctor hasn't been a woman so far.

I'm worried too that they might treat the doctor's sex change as a novelty, to the disadvantage of the story, but the fact is that we don't know what it will be like till we watch it come next year. There's no point being negative from the outset, and there's certainly nothing wrong with the mere fact that the doctor is being played by a woman
Cybermen to be called cyberperson or people to avoid upsetting viewers? :lol:
Reply 86
Original post by uberteknik
Has anyone in the BBC not thought that now the Doctor is a woman, she cannot be called a Time Lord and must now be referred to as a Time Lady?

Somehow doesn't have the same chutzpah.

Whatever next - GayLord?

Theresa May is First Lord of the Treasury.

And there are female Lord Mayors.
I'm not too fussed about the new doctor being a woman, the people moaning about "political correctness" are just as bad as the radical feminists saying "about time" etc.

Gender shouldn't really matter at all, I will judge her on her performance in much the same way I would've done if a man had been cast.

Glad to see a Yorkshirewoman being cast though! Jodie was born really not that far from where I live.
Original post by Doonesbury
Theresa May is First Lord of the Treasury.

And there are female Lord Mayors.

Spoiler

Original post by VinnicombeDmv

Spoiler

I'm really excited to see them make their debut, how do you all feel about this announcement?

Big mistake.
I always thought The Doctor should be a man until recently, but I feel that being female will be refreshing. It's something a bit new and exciting, I want to see her take on it! I think this was the right time to refresh the character :smile:
Original post by QuantumSnowy

I never said they couldn't change gender, I said the fact The Doctor has been female has never, ever been referenced in the show. Time Lords can change gender but this specific Time Lord hasn't ever had it mentioned before, now suddenly here it is
This turned into the ''How dare things change, even for the better'' thread very quickly, didn't it?

She's seemed like a good actor in everything I've seen her in. I'm really looking forward to finding out if she can keep it up. And everybody always criticises the new doctor before they get to know them anyway.
Original post by Connor27
I'm not too fussed about the new doctor being a woman, the people moaning about "political correctness" are just as bad as the radical feminists saying "about time" etc.

Gender shouldn't really matter at all, I will judge her on her performance in much the same way I would've done if a man had been cast.

Glad to see a Yorkshirewoman being cast though! Jodie was born really not that far from where I live.

Hear hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gwilym101

Which characters do you think were Mary Sue's? Not saying you're wrong I'm just curious. That was always my problem with Clara.

You can say that again about Clara. She was no Amy. At least she improved a towards the end a bit.

As to Mary Sue in the latest season: Bill. I have no problem with LGBT characters, hell Jack was my favourite from the Davies era.

But when virtually every episode wastes 5 minutes on a scene where a guy asks her out, only for her to "break the news" that she isn't into guys...... Firstly, men aren't universally driven by a need to impress/woo/whatever a woman they've just met. Secondly, her ethnicity and sexuality became her overriding character attributes and failed to compensate for lack of personality, talent, intelligence or usefulness. I'm sure Pearl Mackie is a great actress, but she had no chance to demonstrate it when her dialogue and character arc were so atrociously written.

Maybe Mary Sue is the wrong term (my understanding of said terms is a little hazy, probably doesn't mean what I think it means lol). But unlike Martha, Mickey, Jack, River, all characters who were either ethnic minorities or LGBt who were likable, engaging and deep, Bill to me felt like a very loud case of minority-can-do-no-wrong. By the end she made my teeth itch with annoyance whenever she appeared on screen, which is a pity given the potential her character had at the start.
Not a fan of Doctor Who but fellow Trekkies accepted and embraced having a female Captain after years of only having male leads and it worked out well :smile: Give her a chance :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
The BBC social justice agenda strikes again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*Rolleyes* She was picked because she's a good actress. I think she'll be a good doctor, don't see why everyone's so concerned about the gender... Dr Who isn't even a human, so they were never actually a man to start with...
Original post by Spock's Socks
Not a fan of Doctor Who but fellow Trekkies accepted and embraced having a female Captain after years of only having male leads and it worked out well :smile: Give her a chance :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't realise that was supposed to be Kirk, oh it wasn't. Oops.

Original post by sek510i
This turned into the ''How dare things change, even for the better'' thread very quickly, didn't it?

She's seemed like a good actor in everything I've seen her in. I'm really looking forward to finding out if she can keep it up. And everybody always criticises the new doctor before they get to know them anyway.

"Even for the better" implying it is necessarily a good move.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else find it a little sad how they said "We always intended for the 13th Doctor to be female" and the new Doctor is a self proclaimed feminist?

Not entirely against it but it sounds as though there was some EXTREME gender bias in this decision, almost as though men were excluded from the decision purely because they are men...
Original post by Scienceisgood
Anyone else find it a little sad how they said "We always intended for the 13th Doctor to be female" and the new Doctor is a self proclaimed feminist?

Not entirely against it but it sounds as though there was some EXTREME gender bias in this decision, almost as though men were excluded from the decision purely because they are men...

Do you have a citation for that, if so I wonder if the "best for the role" crowd have anything to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest