The Student Room Group

English lit and Lang vs only Lang vs only lit

To be honest I'm excellent at both but I was wondering if it would be better to focus on only one. So either Language or Literature or both at A-Level.
Thoughts?
Am doing only lit.
Original post by Oneiropólos
To be honest I'm excellent at both but I was wondering if it would be better to focus on only one. So either Language or Literature or both at A-Level.
Thoughts?

I am doing the combined course (just finished year 12)
I did both English Language & English Literature as separate A-Levels as I seemed to excel in English at both GCSE & A-Level. While I feel I did very well in both and found both courses enjoyable. The amount of essay writing and lesson time spent solely in English was quite annoying at times, especially during exam season when everything was just exam practice. But non the less, both were good courses (I did AQA) and I'm glad I took them both. I'd honestly say if you love English and have an idea of a career/degree based off English I'd say go for both if you can stomach the workload. I'm sure the combined course is good though.
I'm doing both as separate courses. I think the biggest thing is that with Literature, the techniques and style of writing you use doesn't change much from GCSE, so initially it's easier than Language, With Language you have to learn A LOT of new definitions and adapt your writing style a bit. I guess it can be a bit strange/disheartening at first to suddenly almost throw away everything you learned at GCSE and almost start anew. However, you don't have the brand new four books to learn in less than a year which is of course a huge upside. I guess you have to think personally about where you want to be later on in life, and decide which will aid you more/be more appropriate in getting there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending