The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mygirl63
Snap!! My daughter got 41 needed 43! Because of open days last Thursday Friday she could not speak to anyone on the phone (it took her ages to build up the courage to try). She was advised by the head of 6th form to write an email - which she did. The advice we have had is that they like to hear from the student directly rather than the school. However I think the school will follow up after she has made contact. Good luck - such a shame especially when you convert their points into UCAS tariff points by which both of our daughters have exceeded their offers in some respects. The best we are hoping for is that we may have to wait until A level results come out. My daughters status has not yet changed on UCAS track so she remains a little hopeful. Unlike a lot of other universities Cambridge do not offer a massive amount of places above their availability, I think for our course the statistics are something like 1.2 offers per place ( a lot of universities will offer in excess of 5 offers per place). Wishing you all the very best, celebrate the 40 points it puts your daughter in the top 5% of the world!!!

Very helpful to hear from someone in a similar position! My daughter has been in email contact with her college, partly because she is having some of her papers remarked. Is your daughter considering remarks at all? I believe Track won't update while "near misses" are being considered. Can I ask where you found the offers/availability stats please? Might take a look. Meantime her insurance has confirmed her place, but no chance of applying for accommodation (deadline 31 July if accom is to be guaranteed) unless she firms it. Is your daughter ok for insurance?

You are quite right, in any other circumstances 40 IB points would be reason to open the champagne! (But it's prosecco for now....)

Fingers crossed for both our girls 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3681
Original post by Magnificat7
Can I ask where you found the offers/availability stats please? Might take a look.

"Which? University" has offer rate stats for most courses at most universities.

Universities themselves often state the number of applicants per place.

Combining that will give you Offers per Place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3682
Hi again everyone...
When you applied for Tuition Fee Loan, what did you write under "university/college name and address"? Only "University of Cambridge"? Or must I add the college too? And also the address should be the college's, riiiight?
Original post by zpx
Hi again everyone...
When you applied for Tuition Fee Loan, what did you write under "university/college name and address"? Only "University of Cambridge"? Or must I add the college too? And also the address should be the college's, riiiight?

You have to put the college I believe, I am 99% sure I had to for queens

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
"Which? University" has offer rate stats for most courses at most universities.

Universities themselves often state the number of applicants per place.

Combining that will give you Offers per Place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you - found what I was looking for on Cambridge stats pages.

Are you able to outline the process that kicks in on 17 August for those who have just missed their IB offer conditions but who have been told they will still be considered once the A level results are out? If places are still available once those meeting their conditions have been taken into consideration, how are those on the "waiting list" prioritised? Is it purely by results (how close to meeting offer conditions) or are applications considered holistically?

Thank you!
Reply 3685
Original post by Magnificat7
Thank you - found what I was looking for on Cambridge stats pages.

Are you able to outline the process that kicks in on 17 August for those who have just missed their IB offer conditions but who have been told they will still be considered once the A level results are out? If places are still available once those meeting their conditions have been taken into consideration, how are those on the "waiting list" prioritised? Is it purely by results (how close to meeting offer conditions) or are applications considered holistically?

Thank you!

(Oh, I thought you were talking about other universities stats! Doh!)

As with all things at Cambridge it's holistically :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
As with all things at Cambridge it's holistically :smile:

PRSOM
In the Financial Undertaking Form, I encounter this multiple choice question.

form.jpg

I know I am eligible for the bursary, so I ticked that.
I am also utilising the Maintenance Grant to pay for living costs, so I will also tick this.
But what does the "Student Loan Company" option even mean? The Maintenance Grant comes FROM the SLC, so should I tick that too? But then what's the point in having that option anyway?

Can anyone help with this? Thanks
Reply 3688
Original post by Inister
In the Financial Undertaking Form, I encounter this multiple choice question.

form.jpg

I know I am eligible for the bursary, so I ticked that.
I am also utilising the Maintenance Grant to pay for living costs, so I will also tick this.
But what does the "Student Loan Company" option even mean? The Maintenance Grant comes FROM the SLC, so should I tick that too? But then what's the point in having that option anyway?

Can anyone help with this? Thanks

Are you in England? There's no maintenance grant anymore. Just a maintenance loan, so that's the SLC option at the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you in England? There's no maintenance grant anymore. Just a maintenance loan, so that's the SLC option at the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, thanks - didn't see that difference in wording :u:
Original post by Inister
Ah, thanks - didn't see that difference in wording :u:

May I ask, what form is this that you're filling out? Is it from your college?
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
May I ask, what form is this that you're filling out? Is it from your college?

Yes - it may be called something different between colleges, but for me this document is called the "Financial Undertaking Form" - I have to return it by the 1st of August. It asks me to tick a few boxes saying how i'm paying for university costs, and I also have to attach a piece of evidence (my "Payment Advice" letter from the Student Loans Company) to show how much I'm getting paid in maintenance loan.
Reply 3692
Includes Rosie Cates, a TrinMo offer holder:

Two girls make rare addition to UK maths Olympiad squad
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/jul/14/rosie-cates-international-mathematical-olympiad-uk-team?CMP=share_btn_tw

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello I am unconditional offer holder from hong kong. Please does anyone know if there will be a pre term meeting in hk for offer holders? Since I have not been informed to participate in any events but I heard from my Cambridge friend that some sort of society does invite offer holders to a pre term meeting.
Original post by Nold_1702
Hello I am unconditional offer holder from hong kong. Please does anyone know if there will be a pre term meeting in hk for offer holders? Since I have not been informed to participate in any events but I heard from my Cambridge friend that some sort of society does invite offer holders to a pre term meeting.

Not sure if there's one for HK offer holders (the only one I know for sure that's held every year is London one) but if there's one the organiser (CUSU, in case of london) will get in touch AFTER A-levels result day in August and everyone's status is confirmed. No point in contacting all offer holders until then. :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nold_1702

there is a pre-freshers Hong Kong meetup/camp thing i've heard of. I think it was later in the summer last year
If we all get to Cambridge we should all meet up somewhere when we start

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is probably a random question but could science practicals and supervisions be at weekends? Because I've just been reminded of a commitment I have in London on sat 7th October that I'd committed to in October last year, when I didn't even think I'd get an interview... It's the first weekend after lectures start on the Thursday and I can't get out of my commitment... Feeling really worried about starting if I get the grades now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98
If we all get to Cambridge we should all meet up somewhere when we start

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good. Any suggestions, or is this better left until closer to October?
Original post by rayofsunshine98
This is probably a random question but could science practicals and supervisions be at weekends? Because I've just been reminded of a commitment I have in London on sat 7th October that I'd committed to in October last year, when I didn't even think I'd get an interview... It's the first weekend after lectures start on the Thursday and I can't get out of my commitment... Feeling really worried about starting if I get the grades now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Supervisions yes, practicals no AFAIK. But you can easily arrange them around other things, that isn't a problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending