The Student Room Group

Here is the BBC's complaints address.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jack22031994
No thats not what I meant. I was just pointing out its a weak argument.

Where does it say the Doctor is male btw? If you cant tell me this, why are you moaning? Other than 'its always been this way?'

Maybe 50 years of the doctor being male? You're argument is saying the history of the character doesn't matter whereas I disagree, it is very important.

It's not a weak argument for a tv character that is why you had to resort to slavery, when you have no true argument resort to terrible things and try to make them the same
(edited 6 years ago)
It's depressing that there are people who are genuinely pissed off enough about this to whine to the BBC about it.
Original post by Profesh
Roll on the distaff Doctor Who and the black James Bond; I really don't give a ****.

ur avatar blinks lol
Original post by Tony Manero
Nobody is saying that. This is a discussion about feminism and political correctness.

What's the problem with having a woman be a Doctor? It's only a set of genitalia for goodness sake
Original post by joecphillips
Maybe 50 years of the doctor being male? You're argument is saying the history of the character doesn't matter whereas I disagree, it is very important.

It's not a weak argument for a tv character that is why you had to resort to slavery, when you have no true argument resort to terrible things and try to make them the same

*sigh* - tbh if you're this outraged about a TV show casting a character with someone who has a vagina instead of a penis, I think you need to reevaluate your priorities Im afraid.
And the doctor has always been male, changing a characters gender is not a small regeneration it is a big change, would you oppose a male black widow?

And why is it a big change? Are women inferior to men? I wouldn't care about the gender of Black Widow.
It's a show about a regenerating time traveller with two hearts and the fact that this one has ovaries is impossible?
Reply 67
*sigh* - tbh if you're this outraged about a TV show casting a character with someone who has a vagina instead of a penis, I think you need to reevaluate your priorities Im afraid.

Can I be annoyed that people are changing things that I have grew up with to pander to a crowd?

What's wrong with that?
[video="youtube;_HJNAv-2GFI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJNAv-2GFI[/video]
Original post by seawaif
It's a show about a regenerating time traveller with two hearts and the fact that this one has ovaries is impossible?

Apparently so :confused:

Can I be annoyed that people are changing things that I have grew up with to pander to a crowd?

What's wrong with that?

They're not really changing anything though are they? The Dr is still a Time Lord, still has the Tardis etc

It could be the best season of Dr Who ever but you'd still hate it, as the Dr is a woman, not a man, right?
Reply 70
Original post by Goldfish4343
And why is it a big change? Are women inferior to men? I wouldn't care about the gender of Black Widow.

Is that a serious question? If you were forced to change gender would you be happy? (If you are trans say you were forced to stay as your original gender)

I have not said that, it is a weak argument I am arguing that characters should stay the same gender not be changed to pander to a crowd.

I would it is a female character and changing that goes against the character.
Is this about Dr Who :colonhash:?
Reply 72
Apparently so :confused:

They're not really changing anything though are they? The Dr is still a Time Lord, still has the Tardis etc

It could be the best season of Dr Who ever but you'd still hate it, as the Dr is a woman, not a man, right?

I will hate the fact that they have changed the character yes.

Do you think gender is some small thing? Do you think you would be ok if you became the opposite gender tomorrow?

Would you accept James corden playing president xi?
(edited 6 years ago)
This is ****ing hilarious
Is that a serious question? If you were forced to change gender would you be happy? (If you are trans say you were forced to stay as your original gender)

I have not said that, it is a weak argument I am arguing that characters should stay the same gender not be changed to pander to a crowd.

I would it is a female character and changing that goes against the character.

I really don't care about genders. Apart from the body differences, it is basically just a bunch of social stereotypes. If a woman plays the role of the Doctor well, why can't she? Oh, that's right, she is a woman (who for some reason are unable to play a role that does have the opportunity to be diverse, well in your opinion anyway).
I will hate the fact that they have changed the character yes.

Do you think gender is some small thing? Do you think you would be ok if you became the opposite gender tomorrow?

Would you accept James corden playing president xi?

Difference is I am male. The Dr is still a fictional alien with two hearts, who can regenerate into different human forms. Nowhere has it ever said, that human form can never be female.

What has President Xi got to do with anything? :lol:
Difference is I am male. The Dr is still a fictional alien with two hearts, who can regenerate into different human forms. Nowhere has it ever said, that human form can never be female.

What has President Xi got to do with anything? :lol:

The Doctor doesn't have to be human. He could have 2 heads or be green. Why not go down that route. Because of the character history that's why. The audience identifies with Doctor who is male. Changing it is to change what the show is about. It bascially gonna be a shite spin off.
As somebody who stopped watching DW a long time ago because it boring after Christopher Ecclescake, can somebody who's angry about this give me any examples of the character of the Doctor being dictated or defined by his gender? It might help people appreciate your point if you could explain why the change in its adopted gender is going to diminish the character.
Original post by Guru Jason
The Doctor doesn't have to be human. He could have 2 heads or be green. Why not go down that route. Because of the character history that's why. The audience identifies with Doctor who is male. Changing it is to change what the show is about. It bascially gonna be a shite spin off.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean white male? The other user said he would also be outraged of the Doctor was a black man.

Again, it could be the best season ever, but youre still going to hate it (and already do) because the Doctor is played by a woman, when gender is never specified anywhere :lol: :rofl: :facepalm:
This would be helpful. Not just the "its always been like this" argument though please

Quick Reply

Latest