The Student Room Group

Is it too late to improve sprinting speed in your 30's?

Is 34 (and being female) too old to improve sprinting speed? By improving I mean knocking 1 or 2 seconds off the 100m time and just being a decent athletic club runner?
Original post by Anonymous
Is 34 (and being female) too old to improve sprinting speed? By improving I mean knocking 1 or 2 seconds off the 100m time and just being a decent athletic club runner?

There's exceptions to everything but generally 34 is knocking on a bit. Depending on your talent/local athletic club you might have a chance. You've nothing to lose by trying!! Good luck!
Of course not, you're never too old to improve!
Its slow at tje moment something like 14.8 but im going to lose some weight. Id just like to get under 14 seconds. I know in competitions people are getting 12 and 13 seconds but id like to be able to keep up with the ones at the back rather than being left right behind. I also train abit for 5k distance but ive no stamina naturally ive always had a little more power/speed than endurance. Ive devised a training schedule consisting if weight training, plyometric and sprints. One of the coaches thinks my best event is 100m hurdles he said i have a fast leg turnover but i secretly think he's abit loopy.
Reply 4
Its slow at tje moment something like 14.8 but im going to lose some weight. Id just like to get under 14 seconds. I know in competitions people are getting 12 and 13 seconds but id like to be able to keep up with the ones at the back rather than being left right behind. I also train abit for 5k distance but ive no stamina naturally ive always had a little more power/speed than endurance. Ive devised a training schedule consisting if weight training, plyometric and sprints. One of the coaches thinks my best event is 100m hurdles he said i have a fast leg turnover but i secretly think he's abit loopy.

Since your current time is not that amazing I think you could easily improve it by training more :smile:
Original post by lulno
Since your current time is not that amazing I think you could easily improve it by training more :smile:

2 years ago i got a pb of 14.4 lol with a bit of training id joined a sprint group (i do t bother with blocks though)but imnot sure how much i could improve by if i got 3.9 id be happy.
Hi Anon - I am a long-time member of an athletics club and trained every day for years before starting uni. It's dropped off a bit since, and my background was distance rather than sprinting, but I am still a huge track nerd and am qualified to answer your question.It depends on what you mean by
Original post by smavillage
Hi Anon - I am a long-time member of an athletics club and trained every day for years before starting uni. It's dropped off a bit since, and my background was distance rather than sprinting, but I am still a huge track nerd and am qualified to answer your question.It depends on what you mean by

Oh for the love of *******s the goddamn forum just sliced off a really long post for the love of god Jesus Christ
Reply 8

Oh for the love of *******s the goddamn forum just sliced off a really long post for the love of god Jesus Christ

You got to the finish line too quickly...

Ha, its ok, thanks for replying. Maybe to save you typing it all out again maybe you could just briefly summarise what you said in bullet points. Dont worry about it though, get some sleep its nearly midnight!
Reply 10
2 years ago i got a pb of 14.4 lol with a bit of training id joined a sprint group (i do t bother with blocks though)but imnot sure how much i could improve by if i got 3.9 id be happy.

I don't know you so I have no idea what your physique is like, but I would assume just gaining muscle would go a long way.
Reply 11
The world record for a 35yo woman is 10.74secs, so yup there's room for improvement :wink:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_masters_athletics

(Merlene Ottey seems to be owning the masters age group records....)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending