The Student Room Group

I'm a guy who wears a hairpiece, AMA :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hope this helps. I chose 75% density so it looks convincing. Many go with 100% in desperation to get a 16 y/o hairline, but it just looks wiggy, especially on older guys.

Attachment not found

Looks great, where did you get it from OP?
I went through every possible treatment option, including hair transplants. If you're balding at a young age, it means that within a few years any improvement from a transplant will be undone by further recession, leaving little plugs of hair at the front and a massive scar on the back of your head. Not to mention the extortionate cost!

I also tried finasteride, but the side effects were just too much to cope with.

When push comes to shove, hairpieces have come a long way since the days of grandpa Joe's toupee which looks like a dead rat and flies off with a gust of wind. Despite the (unjust and hypocritical) stigma, a hairpiece is the only way you can get a full head of hair, with no side effects whatsoever. It is also very economical when you buy from the right place and avoid the high-street salons like the plague.
Looks great, where did you get it from OP?

Ordered it from hairpiecewarehouse in the US and got it cut, styled and attached in a hair salon. After that I just do all the maintenance myself until the piece wears out (usually lasts 8-12 months when looked after properly).
Original post by kibi.coco
Disappointed. I was expecting you to say you wear a glittery fabulous hair accessory. Feeling pretty stupid. XD

:biggrin:
Original post by Friffinghell
Are you never tempted to just go skinheady?

I can totally dig a Bruce Willis/Dwayne Johnson/Dominic Purcell/Wentworth Miller.

Also Dom Purcell and Wentworth Miller both still have their hairlines. So when they shave their heads, their faces are still framed by their hair shadow.
Also Dom Purcell and Wentworth Miller both still have their hairlines. So when they shave their heads, their faces are still framed by their hair shadow.

Dom P has a receding hairline and WM is thinning on top hence the crop.

They're both dudes working with what they've got and looking great.
Dom P has a receding hairline and WM is thinning on top hence the crop.

They're both dudes working with what they've got and looking great.

I can't see any recession in any photos of DP. And I can't find any pictures of WM thinning either.

Anyway, some people feel confident embracing their baldness, whilst others don't. It's a personal choice at the end of the day.
I can't see any recession in any photos of DP. And I can't find any pictures of WM thinning either.

Anyway, some people feel confident embracing their baldness, whilst others don't. It's a personal choice at the end of the day.

It totally is personal choice. But it's sad if people are unhappy in their own skin.

They're both experiencing hair loss in different (but normal) ways. Purcell is losing hair at the temples and Miller on top. No big deal.

purcell.jpg
Just so I can imagine this better... you got a full lace wig and gel the entire thing to your scalp?
Original post by Another
Just so I can imagine this better... you got a full lace wig and gel the entire thing to your scalp?

I have a partial to cover the bald areas and then yes I use adhesive to bond it to my scalp.
Have you not noticed that as guys get older they look more distinguished and manly? 100% more attractive. True story.

Also I don't want to look distinguished. I want to look 'cute' and blend in with the crowd. Being 22 and bald is not socially acceptable.
Anonymous please because there are people on here who know who I am and I don't want them to know.

What Norwood are you?
What Norwood are you?

4, but I just shave my remaining real hair off clean and attach the hairpiece.
4, but I just shave my remaining real hair off clean and attach the hairpiece.

Where did you get it from? How much? How often do you have to replace it? Did you have to get someone else to attach it the first few times?
I'm in the same situation and I'm 19 I am losing my hair but I can probably still have hair without it looking so odd where I need to shave it off which I'll be about 21 maybe idk I've tried the exact same thing as you and no one notices but it's to expensive and effort where when time comes to shave my head I hope I feel happy about it. Going in to uni and hopefully no one cares.
Anonymous please because there are people on here who know who I am and I don't want them to know.
So why haven't you embraced your identity as a baldie? When I did that people respected me for it and a lot of people have said I look better for it. It goes the same for a lot of guys.
Original post by Tootles
So why haven't you embraced your identity as a baldie? When I did that people respected me for it and a lot of people have said I look better for it. It goes the same for a lot of guys.

Because he doesn't want to? His hairpiece/hair looks good.

I'd do the same.
Original post by tehforum
Because he doesn't want to? His hairpiece/hair looks good.

I'd do the same.
Good, good, revel in the insecurity, good for you.
Original post by Tootles
Good, good, revel in the insecurity, good for you.

If the insecurity forces security then all the power to that person.
Original post by tehforum
If the insecurity forces security then all the power to that person.
It's not forcing security, it's hiding.

Quick Reply

Latest