The Student Room Group

Not liking new job ?

Ive started and im on my third week, and im not enjoying it. I talk to my collegues but we dont get on well ie have that friendship. The work in itself it a bit boring just about basic law etc.

I know its a good job, it a police officer role but im not liking it, I did a year as a special which wasnt bad. Not only that im the only asian person out of a group of 20.

How long do you take to settle in roughly ?
Reply 1
Friendships take time to build, 3 weeks isn't going to magically make a friendship appear.

I'm currently about to start my third week of my internship at the Scottish Government, and even I still feel funny going in. The work can be a bit tedious as it's quiet (recess). But it's great experience and at the end of the day it is worth it.

Stick it out a bit more. 3 weeks simply isn't enough to know.
Original post by Anonymous

At least 6 months, probably a year. It's a job, not summer camp and you need an entire annual cycle to see what the role entails and to understand the organisation well enough to make career decisions.

Off course it's 'boring', it's an organisation where your colleagues have 10, 20, 30+ years of experience and you have 3 weeks, did you expect to be solving bank robberies in week 1?
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
At least 6 months, probably a year. It's a job, not summer camp and you need an entire annual cycle to see what the role entails and to understand the organisation well enough to make career decisions.

Off course it's 'boring', it's an organisation where your colleagues have 10, 20, 30+ years of experience and you have 3 weeks, did you expect to be solving bank robberies in week 1?

I understand but my main concern is with my colleagues, we dont really get on and there is like 20 of us. Lunch times are quite and I sometimes stay quite as it feels better to as they be caught up in their own 'banter'.

What do you mean my colleagues have 20+ years experience, not many do they come from different job routes, me and a few other were specials the rest were not.
Original post by Anonymous
I understand but my main concern is with my colleagues, we dont really get on and there is like 20 of us. Lunch times are quite and I sometimes stay quite as it feels better to as they be caught up in their own 'banter'.

What do you mean my colleagues have 20+ years experience, not many do they come from different job routes, me and a few other were specials the rest were not.

So actually, you aren't even in the job yet, you are on initial training? in which case, it's no reflection of the job at all. Just focus on getting yourself through training as well as you personally can. It isn't about making friends and being popular, it's about getting yourself the best professional foundation to your career.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
So actually, you aren't even in the job yet, you are on initial training? in which case, it's no reflection of the job at all. Just focus on getting yourself through training as well as you personally can. It isn't about making friends and being popular, it's about getting yourself the best professional foundation to your career.

True, it a lot of petty things that we are doing, I know how it can be relevant however with most training a lot will go out of the window and you develop your own skills. Its awkward at times. I was even thinking to apply for BTP.

Quick Reply

Latest