The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EnglishMuon
there is a pre-freshers Hong Kong meetup/camp thing i've heard of. I think it was later in the summer last year

did you enjoy it ?
Original post by Zacken
Well, I'm not sure what bus you used to take - but the subsidised bus service from Homerton to the city has been discontinued.

Route U seems to go from Hills Road, through the city, and up to the maths site. It's £3 for a days travel or £10 for weekly travel in that zone - I'd class that as pretty good, as to get around my own town it costs more than that for both a daily and weekly ticket.
Original post by zippidee
Route U seems to go from Hills Road, through the city, and up to the maths site. It's £3 for a days travel or £10 for weekly travel in that zone - I'd class that as pretty good, as to get around my own town it costs more than that for both a daily and weekly ticket.

Looks good.
http://www.go-whippet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Route-U-map-December-2016.pdf
Reply 3723
Original post by zippidee

That bus goes from Addenbrookes to the city via the guided busway. It doesn't stop at Homerton.
Original post by alow
That bus goes from Addenbrookes to the city via the guided busway. It doesn't stop at Homerton.

But there're bus stops which is within easily walkable distance from homerton (see link in my post above). Better than walking 1hr to CMS.

Do you know anyone at homerton who are not cycling at all?
Reply 3725
Original post by vincrows
But there're bus stops which is within easily walkable distance from homerton (see link in my post above). Better than walking 1hr to CMS.

Do you know anyone at homerton who are not cycling at all?

Yeah true. If you're going to spend that much time walking to the bus stop and spend that much money on buses you may as well buy a bike in my opinion though, as you could definitely get one for less money if you know what you're looking for (college sells functional culled bikes for £30). Also Cambridge is by far the nicest city I've biked in, as car drivers are generally always expecting there to be bikes around so are quite cautious so as long as you can ride a bike it's not very stressful.

I know a couple, but not anyone who has lectures in West Cambridge.
Original post by alow
Yeah true. If you're going to spend that much time walking to the bus stop and spend that much money on buses you may as well buy a bike in my opinion though, as you could definitely get one for less money if you know what you're looking for (college sells functional culled bikes for £30). Also Cambridge is by far the nicest city I've biked in, as car drivers are generally always expecting there to be bikes around so are quite cautious so as long as you can ride a bike it's not very stressful.

I know a couple, but not anyone who has lectures in West Cambridge.

The thing is, no everyone can ride a bike.
I know a few who didn't bike there because they simply couldn't. (Including a certain member of my family, who came also swim.....)
But their lectures weren't that far from their accommodation and all the people I know who were at far-away colleges biked.......
Reply 3727
I know a few who didn't bike there because they couldn't.
But their lectures weren't that far from their accommodation and all the people I know who were at far-away colleges biked.......

The roads are pretty narrow in some places so I'm just concerned about getting clipped by cars
Reply 3728
I know a few who didn't bike there because they simply couldn't. (Including a certain member of my family, who came also swim.....)

Yeah I guess that could be an issue, if you literally can't ride a bike. It's gotten quite bad for disabled students here that used to have the convenience of a bus which stopped directly outside college...

Original post by 11234
The roads are pretty narrow in some places so I'm just concerned about getting clipped by cars

If the road is too narrow for a car to safely pass then you should take the lane. If that is the case though, it'll probably be a no passing zone anyway.
Original post by 11234

That's something you'll get used to.
As long as you can ride a bike reasonably, it's really worth cycling.
But please wear a helmet and use high-viz things (jacket, belt, whatever) when not very light and very good lights.

Time is luxury at Cambridge. And riding rather than walking (or taking a bus) saves you a lot of time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3730
That's something you'll get used to.
As long as you can ride a bike reasonably, it's really worth cycling.
But please wear a helmet and use high-viz things (jacket, belt, whatever) when not very light and very good lights.

Time is luxury at Cambridge. And riding rather than walking (or taking a bus) saves you a lot of time.

Yea I'll probably bike anyway but probably through the quieter roads I dont like riding through busy roads and junctions
Reply 3731
Are clubs college specific or does it run through the university so you meet up with people from other colleges
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 11234
Are clubs college specific or does it run through the university so you meet up with people from other colleges

Both.
All colleges have clubs/societies that's only open to college members and there're also many clubs/society that's for all university students.
Also, there're some societies/groups that's collaborately run by a few colleges for their college members, most commonly music-related.

You can usually find what sort of clubs/societies your college has on their website or their JCR's alternative prospectus.
And university-wide clubs/societies are on CUSU website.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by matthewdjones
did you enjoy it ?

yea, its not too far from Almaty tbh. just catch the trans siberian rail, stop off at babushkas house in novokuznetsk (still havent fixed its wiki page smh) then pop on down to good ol' hk from there. fist bump bobby on the way for increased energy +100 +5 charm (but -5 steven george skill).

all in all it was pretty lit
Seen my post above?
You'll probably be ok in the first (and second?) year as lectures are in the town centre, but when you start having lectures in CMS, that's a quite long way to walk.....
Never walked that way, but I know it takes good 10 min+ by car.

Maybe @physicsmaths knows some mathmos at homerton without a bike .............???

Yeh there were a few at the atart of the year but hey all gave in and started cycling except for one.
Walking to First/second yr lectures(lecture theatres are practically on the same road downing street and mill lane) is like just under 30 minutes if ur walking at a good pace.
Cycling is usually 10 minutes or sometimes slightly quicker even.
Cycling is a lot quicker and not that much hassle once u get past the hill lol. Plus its good exercise and wakes u up so u can pay attention in those fun lectures
Original post by 11234
Yea I'll probably bike anyway but probably through the quieter roads I dont like riding through busy roads and junctions

There isn't really a route through quiter roads I believe unless u wana go all the way around And i really don't recommend that haha.
Just come out of homerton go straight and ur there.
Dw ill show u guys in ur pre sessional course dw
Reply 3736
Original post by physicsmaths
There isn't really a route through quiter roads I believe unless u wana go all the way around And i really don't recommend that haha.

Are you going over year 2 stuff this summer? Do you recommend going over olympiad stuff or course materials over the summer to get ahead
Reply 3737
Original post by physicsmaths

How many people in homerton do maths
Reply 3738
How often are formal dinners and what do you have to wear? Are you expected to drink alcohol?
Original post by 11234
How often are formal dinners and what do you have to wear? Are you expected to drink alcohol?

Depends on the college and depends on the college. No.