The Student Room Group

Does anyone know about pull ups?

Im only really good at one thing in life and thats pull ups lol. Ive tried athletics/running and other events im not good. I tried pole vault but i wasnt brave enough to progress in it. im ok at climbing/bouldering but my short height lets me down (im 5ft) Yet when i do pull ups people for some reason think its awesome. I didnt know that most people struggle to do 1. I can do about 7 full ones untrained and with a bit of training get to 14. Im ok at rope climbing too i canclimb a rope without using my feet. Rather thsn comming last all the time at sprinting/running i thought i might as well train in and compete in what im better at but its not really a sport or event is it lol. Do they have pull up or rope climbing competitions or similar?
Reply 1
Original post by inthedark1
Im only really good at one thing in life and thats pull ups lol. Ive tried athletics/running and other events im not good. I tried pole vault but i wasnt brave enough to progress in it. im ok at climbing/bouldering but my short height lets me down (im 5ft) Yet when i do pull ups people for some reason think its awesome. I didnt know that most people struggle to do 1. I can do about 7 full ones untrained and with a bit of training get to 14. Im ok at rope climbing too i canclimb a rope without using my feet. Rather thsn comming last all the time at sprinting/running i thought i might as well train in and compete in what im better at but its not really a sport or event is it lol. Do they have pull up or rope climbing competitions or similar?

Gymnastics was invented for people like you :smile:
Reply 2
My two-year-old is just going into them.

What do you need to know?
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Gymnastics was invented for people like you :smile:

well i rang to join a gymnastics group 7 years ago when i was 21 or something and they said i was too old. So i'l be too old now. Plus i have no flexibility.
Reply 4
Original post by inthedark1
well i rang to join a gymnastics group 7 years ago when i was 21 or something and they said i was too old. So i'l be too old now. Plus i have no flexibility.

There are adult gym sessions at many clubs, and your flexibility can be improved with training/practice.

Check out:
https://www.british-gymnastics.org/discover/adult-gymnastics
People who are short but strong do well in weightlifting. Short limbs are a significant advantage in lifting weights. And being short your body weight is probably low which means calisthenics are easier for you.

How old are you? I would expect most young adults who exercise regularly and go to the gym to manage 7-10 pulls ups with a little training TBH.
Reply 6
The majority if people under 80kg in gyms can probably do about 10 pullups... They get much easier the less you weigh. If you've got a light frame then go for gymnastics... Or calisthenics. You could also try weightlifting as mentioned above - Not bodybuilding as such but more powerlifting. A lot of professional powerlifters are short simply because the weight has less distance to travel and so is natural for them. All depends on what type of body you want.
If these are legit - full ROM pull ups then 14 is a decent number, but not particularly amazing number. I can do 20 at 95ish kg bw, I have a friend who weighs around 70kg who can do 40 with limited effort

Quick Reply

Latest