The Student Room Group

Should i include this in my personal statement? (Grad school)

Greetings to you all. First, i would like to wish everyone of you the absolute best of luck in your attempts to go to your dream schools.
I have many reasons to believe that i have been discriminated against by my university. I graduated from a private university in a third world country. Throughout my 4 years of college, i was my college's go-to guy, i was always the one who taught everyone before the exams, and in more than one instance i knew that i did extremely well in my tests only to find the grades to be extremely underrepresented.
My studying partner was the class topper with a Gpa of 3.9. We would study together and go into the exam with absolute confidence of our understanding of the material, and we would revise our answers together after each exam to find, as it was almost always the case, our solutions to be nearly the same. He would mostly go on to get an A, whereas i would get a B- or a B+
I don't want to sound like an ignorant or a paranoid person. But i believe this is all because i did badly in my first year of college, and my Gpa was 2.5+, i tried so hard to improve it since i decided on my second year that i'd wish to pursue a masters degree one day. The reasons i believe in this discrimination is
1) i always noticed how the school always maintained a normal distribution pattern, where there are very few people on the very top/bottom, and the bulk of the people in the middle. I tried so hard with all my might to reach that "top" tier, but they wouldn't let me
2) Second, and much more importantly, was the fact that my school offers a 15% discount to anyone with a GPA of above 3.3. I do believe that this is the center piece of the whole issue, given that my grades were always engineered so that my final GPA wouldn't surpass this mark. 4 semesters in which i had done so well, my grades were manipulated so that my final grade would be 3.29. I only passed this mark one time only to find that my grades plundered next semester to an unprecedented low. This was the semester before the last one, and my final Cumulative GPA? 3.29

Just a couple of quick remarks. I observed this EXACT same phenomenon happening with some of my friends, where we all graduated with this 3.29 GPA. Also, i have even some more evidence that i didn't share given that i have already written way too much.

Anyway, i apologize for having taken so much out of your time. It is just extremely depressing and frustrating to have the dream of your life compromised just because a "Company" only cares about making money more than anything else. So, should i elude to this in my statement?
I am truly thankful for your time
May be worth a mention if you have the space
Hi! Firstly, thank you so much for the well wishes! I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and you definitely deserved to see better of all the work you've put in. I would also contact any of the universities you are applying to and maybe asking if you can submit an Extenuating Circumstances form alongside your application where you are able to explain what's happened.
Is this for a UK uni? Uni rules/expectations in other countries may well be different. In general though for UK unis, it's best that any negative things are written about in your reference
Reply 4
Thank you so much for the very compassionate reply :smile: It was heartwarming to read.
I am very thankful for the information you have provided. I didn't know that i can ask to submit extra documents to the uni. To be honest, i also suffer from a severe form of mental illness and would have surely loved to explain to the adcom how extremely difficult it is to accomplish as much as i have while suffering from a mental afflection. And it was bothering me so much considering that i wanted to mention this in my personal statement but was so worried if i will have the appropriate space to explain this misfortune of mine.
Anyway, again, thank you so much, and i wish you all the luck in this world with your endeavor.

Original post by ashaxo99
Hi! Firstly, thank you so much for the well wishes! I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and you definitely deserved to see better of all the work you've put in. I would also contact any of the universities you are applying to and maybe asking if you can submit an Extenuating Circumstances form alongside your application where you are able to explain what's happened.
Reply 5
Yes it is for a UK university. Sir, by reference, do you mean the recommendation letters? I am sorry, but the word "reference" doesn't conjure any other meaning in my head. Please, correct me if i had mistaken

Original post by *Interrobang*
Is this for a UK uni? Uni rules/expectations in other countries may well be different. In general though for UK unis, it's best that any negative things are written about in your reference
Original post by Rock3r
Yes it is for a UK university. Sir, by reference, do you mean the recommendation letters? I am sorry, but the word "reference" doesn't conjure any other meaning in my head. Please, correct me if i had mistaken

The reference is written by a teacher usually. It's not quite a recommendation letter, but talks about you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending