The Student Room Group

Could I do AS/A2 Level FM?

This September, I could do Edexcel Further Maths to either AS or A2 level.

I'm doing Maths and Physics, hoping to get an 8 and A* in them, come August.

Having looked at the spec, half of the qualification is Mechanics,so as I'd do that in Physics anyway at AS, how hard would the Pure Paper 1 Maths actually be? I don't think i'm naturally gifted at Maths, I just put in the effort and enjoy it.

I wasn't originally sure how well I could cope with it, but if I take the mechanics papers, would it be a viable option?

The specification is here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FSpecification-and-sample-assessments
Original post by bjt1882
This September, I could do Edexcel Further Maths to either AS or A2 level.

I'm doing Maths and Physics, hoping to get an 8 and A* in them, come August.

Having looked at the spec, half of the qualification is Mechanics,so as I'd do that in Physics anyway at AS, how hard would the Pure Paper 1 Maths actually be? I don't think i'm naturally gifted at Maths, I just put in the effort and enjoy it.

I wasn't originally sure how well I could cope with it, but if I take the mechanics papers, would it be a viable option?

The specification is here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FSpecification-and-sample-assessments

I don't know how well you would cope with A level further maths but based on what I've seen with previous specifications, the mechanics covered in A level physics really isn't much help in maths outside of some of the basic mechanics topics covered in the normal A level maths.
FP1 easy but time consuming and pointless

FP2 interesting but really hard to get 90UMS, depends on luck due to super-high grade boundaries also, you can be amazing at maths but depends on exam
Reply 3
Original post by Teenage Hype
FP1 easy but time consuming and pointless

FP2 interesting but really hard to get 90UMS, depends on luck due to super-high grade boundaries also, you can be amazing at maths but depends on exam

There is a new specification.
Original post by S2M
There is a new specification.

RIP Maths/Further Maths students gg
Reply 5
RIP Maths/Further Maths students gg

:laugh: Why?
Original post by S2M
:laugh: Why?

Ehh idk about the new spec but Maths/FM was really easy to revise for assuming you had a good foundation.

So many past papers, you can literally prepare for 100% (or close to it)

New spec you can't really to the same extent

edit: I was **** at fp2 and I found the real exam a piece of cake due to just doing all the past papers available
Reply 7
Ehh idk about the new spec but Maths/FM was really easy to revise for assuming you had a good foundation.

So many past papers, you can literally prepare for 100% (or close to it)

New spec you can't really to the same extent

edit: I was **** at fp2 and I found the real exam a piece of cake due to just doing all the past papers available

Ah I see but in this one there is no AS or A2 you only have 3 exams after 2 years.
Original post by S2M
Ah I see but in this one there is no AS or A2 you only have 3 exams after 2 years.

hahahahaha that sounds terrible sorry if i'm being a insensitive but that sucks :frown:
Reply 9
hahahahaha that sounds terrible sorry if i'm being a insensitive but that sucks :frown:

Don't worry lol it's fine. To be honest I'd rather have less exams.

Quick Reply

Latest