The Student Room Group

Getting diagnosed with autism at 18?

Ive been told my mood problems have probably been caused by autism. I've been through most of the process and have basically been told by several psychologists that they think I have it. I'm scared of telling people though, in case they treat me differently or baby me when I don't need it. Will I be treated differently if i get a diagnosis and tell people?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
That's relieving to hear, I hope most people are like you, thank you!
Reply 2
I agree ^ I think you'll be just fine :heart:
Reply 3
Original post by Luluroo
I agree ^ I think you'll be just fine :heart:

Thank you so much! <3
A good friend of mine has Autism (been best pals since pre-school through to uni) and he is perfectly normal. I had no idea he actually had it until recently. Nobody has ever treated him differently, and he is likely going to end up in Oxbridge. Autism is a very common condition nowadays, it doesn't make you and different to anyone else
Reply 5
Original post by cait1239
Ive been told my mood problems have probably been caused by autism. I've been through most of the process and have basically been told by several psychologists that they think I have it. I'm scared of telling people though, in case they treat me differently or baby me when I don't need it. Will I be treated differently if i get a diagnosis and tell people?

I'd like to believe most people would treat you more or less the same - especially those that already knew you before the diagnosis.
That being said there will always be people that mock and insult others for whatever reasons.

At the end of the day you don't HAVE to tell anyone you don't want to as far as I know. Good luck bud. :-)
Original post by cait1239

Moved to health

Only had one person treat me different. But that's been for my benefit. (And so he doesn't end up being equally frustrated)
Reply 7
Original post by Tantic
I'd like to believe most people would treat you more or less the same - especially those that already knew you before the diagnosis.
That being said there will always be people that mock and insult others for whatever reasons.

At the end of the day you don't HAVE to tell anyone you don't want to as far as I know. Good luck bud. :-)

That's true I don't, I don't want to be ashamed either though, I'm sure I can find a medium :smile: yeah I'm worried about the people who insult others because my peers use autistic as an insult a lot! But my closer friends would be fine
Reply 8
Original post by Tiger Rag
Moved to health

Only had one person treat me different. But that's been for my benefit. (And so he doesn't end up being equally frustrated)

Thanks for the move!! :smile: oh that's good then! If it's positive changes then it's good I guess, especially if it benefits you both! Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by Piña colada
A good friend of mine has Autism (been best pals since pre-school through to uni) and he is perfectly normal. I had no idea he actually had it until recently. Nobody has ever treated him differently, and he is likely going to end up in Oxbridge. Autism is a very common condition nowadays, it doesn't make you and different to anyone else

Oh that's cool hearing other people's stories, tell him good luck! Thank you so much, I don't want to be considered different, thank you!
If they treat you in a negative way, it says more about them than you and probably not worth bothering with tbh.
Reply 11
I got told when i was 17, nearly 20 now, struggled with it and my self confidence most of the time since then, saw myself as broken, now i dont as much but i dont like it, but people especially my close friends and family havent treated me any differently
Reply 12
Original post by Tiger Rag
If they treat you in a negative way, it says more about them than you and probably not worth bothering with tbh.

Yeah that's true, it says more about them than myself
Reply 13
Original post by Jory
I got told when i was 17, nearly 20 now, struggled with it and my self confidence most of the time since then, saw myself as broken, now i dont as much but i dont like it, but people especially my close friends and family havent treated me any differently

I felt quite the same when I was told it was a possibility, I hope you do come to like it as I'm sure everyone else wouldn't want you differently. That's good at least

Quick Reply

Latest