The Student Room Group

Problems with bus

So I went on to the bus today and asked for a ticket to the services (costs £0.90), I handed over £10 and received £8.10 back. I did not realize that I was given less that I should've got until I was at the top of the bus. I waited until the journey (about 5 minutes) had finished and then went to go off the bus but talked to the bus driver about receiving less money than I should've. He insisted that he gave me the £9.10 even though he definitely didn't. He used the excuse that I must've forgotten taking the money and he implied that I was lying. I said that I was not, showed him my wallet which BTW had no change in before so it had £8.10 in however he still insisted that he gave it to me and that I was lying. I then left the bus.
How is this fair that the bus driver can scam me and get away with it, this has happened before as well, something similar happened last week where I got scammed £2. This is wrong and how is it allowed? What do you suggest I do?
Not much you can do really. Check your change before moving from the driver
Or preferably make sure you have the correct fare when you get on
Original post by ybco124
What do you suggest I do?

I suggest you carry the right change for the bus, even a £5 note would have been better. If you're going to expect such a large amount of change back then at least count it before you sit down. For all the bus diver knew, you put a pound coin in your pocket and wanted a free pound.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sammylou40
Not much you can do really. Check your change before moving from the driver
Or preferably make sure you have the correct fare when you get on

The problem is though I have sorted this out multiple times with the bus drivers however every now and again I accidentally forget and as soon as that happens I get money taken from me. This is getting really frustrating. See this has happened multiple times, for example they charge me a £2.10 ticket when it is only £0.90 and demand that it is the correct fair.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's not but there's nothing you can do about it. You should have checked when he gave you the change.

He probably did think he gave you the correct amount of change, and obviously has to be careful himself (people could lie for a free ride).

Only things you can do is check your change next time
Original post by ybco124
every now and again I accidentally forget and as soon as that happens I get money taken from me.

What part of this is the bus driver's fault? If you forget to count the change then don't give such a large amount of money over at the start, get £5 notes from your bank (some cash machines dispense them as well), or always carry a pound coin with you as it's only 90p.
Reply 6
Original post by Glassapple
What part of this is the bus driver's fault? I.

I see what you are saying but the fact that you think it is not the bus drivers fault is stupid. How is it not his fault if he did not give me the correct change? I know about me not realizing and I will be careful in the future and all but think of it this way. He takes a £1 every hour from an unsuspecting customer, puts it in to his pocket and he gains money. Surly this is his fault??
Original post by ybco124
I see what you are saying but the fact that you think it is not the bus drivers fault is stupid. How is it not his fault if he did not give me the correct change? I know about me not realizing and I will be careful in the future and all but think of it this way. He takes a £1 every hour from an unsuspecting customer, puts it in to his pocket and he gains money. Surly this is his fault??

Moved to travel

It was more than likely a genuine error.
Reply 8
Original post by ybco124
So I went on to the bus today and asked for a ticket to the services (costs £0.90), I handed over £10 and received £8.10 back. I did not realize that I was given less that I should've got until I was at the top of the bus. I waited until the journey (about 5 minutes) had finished and then went to go off the bus but talked to the bus driver about receiving less money than I should've. He insisted that he gave me the £9.10 even though he definitely didn't. He used the excuse that I must've forgotten taking the money and he implied that I was lying. I said that I was not, showed him my wallet which BTW had no change in before so it had £8.10 in however he still insisted that he gave it to me and that I was lying. I then left the bus.
How is this fair that the bus driver can scam me and get away with it, this has happened before as well, something similar happened last week where I got scammed £2. This is wrong and how is it allowed? What do you suggest I do?

Either the drivers are making honest mistakes, or they're deliberately shortchanging people and pocketing the extra. Neither of these should happen, but if you're suspecting it is the latter (even the former, since you're down a pound either way) then you need to check your change when they give it to you otherwise they can claim you've made an error or lost it somewhere. Sure, you only have £8.10 in your wallet, but you could have the extra £1 in your pocket, or lost it in the air vent, or hiding it under your tongue, or have an accomplice you gave it to - all sorts of things.
It's too hard to prove if he did it on purpose or it was a genuine error. I would think its most probably the latter. Either way, the only way you can avoid it in future is to carry the correct fare or, like everyone else has said above, use a smaller note in future so that any errors are easier to spot at the time!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest