The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cara1999
Hey guys! I just got my results for GCSE and was wondering if they would be good enough for Vet Med as I have had my heart set on it for years. I have the minimum but I'm just scared as others have much higher grades than me. I am taking physics as a GCSE during my A levels which will be Chem, Bio and Maths
Chemistry- A
biology- A
Maths- A
English lit- A
English lang- B
Drama- A
German- B
R.s- A*
Art- C
Any feedback would be appreciated so much! Thank you

Those will be fine yes! Well done with your results from yesterday, and good luck in your a levels
Original post by cara1999
Hey guys! I just got my results for GCSE and was wondering if they would be good enough for Vet Med as I have had my heart set on it for years.

Hey, well done on those grades, they're really good! As you say you've met the requirements; vet applications are so multifaceted that I wouldn't worry at all about the fact that other people might have higher grades. Your personal statement, work experience and predicted A level grades are of more value when applying, you could stand a good chance if you can nail those :smile:

Best of luck for the start of sixth form :smile:
Hey there :smile:

I'm applying to RVC this year for the graduate accelerated program so thought I'd join the group! I am just about to graduate from a 2-year Master program in arctic animal physiology here in Arctic Norway but am British and completed my BSc(Hons) in Zoology at St Andrews in 2015....so I'm a bit of a late starter to the vet world! Do you think it makes sense to apply for the graduate accelerated and the regular degree at RVC? Just to increase my chances? And am I correct in thinking that the BMAT is no longer required for RVC (as of 2016 I believe, despite what UCAS states)?

Cheers and best of luck to everyone!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by harrii_walker
As an Irish student you pay €19000 a year?? Thank you very much, I've got bits and pieces of wildlife and 'different' experience, but I need to update it all

another option is to go the graduate entry route into the normal 5 year course and you would be eligible to pay the undergraduate fees of 9K a year rather than the 19.5K a year for the 4 year course. I know its a year longer but would save a hell of a lot of money would cost you around 50k instead of 80K+ just to do the extra year.
Cost of living around Dublin and especially around UCD is very expensive so another factor to add in. Having that said the cost of living is probably much the same as it would be in Liverpool/Nottingham and would be cheaper than London id imagine.
Original post by podgey
another option is to go the graduate entry route into the normal 5 year course and you would be eligible to pay the undergraduate fees of 9K a year rather than the 19.5K a year for the 4 year course. I know its a year longer but would save a hell of a lot of money would cost you around 50k instead of 80K+ just to do the extra year.
Cost of living around Dublin and especially around UCD is very expensive so another factor to add in. Having that said the cost of living is probably much the same as it would be in Liverpool/Nottingham and would be cheaper than London id imagine.

Are you talking about UCD? I'm afraid the five year course as a graduate entry is still the same price overall 80 k, you just pay around 15.5 k a year instead of 20 k but it works out the exact same cost wise. It's never been 9 k a year? As long as you have an undergraduate degree already there's no subsidies or anything, you have to pay the full shabang.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate2013.html
Scroll down to the very bottom of that page for the graduate entry fees
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by spacelumps
Are you talking about UCD? I'm afraid the five year course as a graduate entry is still the same price overall 80 k, you just pay around 15.5 k a year instead of 20 k but it works out the exact same cost wise. It's never been 9 k a year? As long as you have an undergraduate degree already there's no subsidies or anything, you have to pay the full shabang.

Well I was actually in contact with UCD a couple of weeks ago and asked this exact question to them, I was asking them as a graduate if I was to get a place on the 5 year course would I have to still pay the 19.5k a year since I was a graduate or would I only be eligible to pay the normal fees for the 5 year course that undergrads would have to pay and they told me "All applicants who accept an offer in DN300 Vet Medicine(5 year) are liable for the fees for that programme for the duration of the programme, regardless of whether or not the student is a graduate"

The fees for the DN300 programme (5 year) is 9,997 per annum is what I was told. So what the woman told me was that regardless of whether you are a graduate or you are only liable for the fees that the course commands which in the case of the normal 5 year programme is 9,997 pa and in the case of the 4 year graduate programme is 19,516 pa.
Anyway she did say the fees for the coming year were not released/decided yet at the time I was talking to her and there was a possible change to the fees for veterinary so maybe that has changed since I was talking to them last so I dont know if that is right or wrong but thats just what I was told anyway.
Anyway you are doing the grad entry I see so you definitely would be more in the know than I am but that's what UCD had said to me anyway earlier this year.
Reply 26

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate2013.html
Scroll down to the very bottom of that page for the graduate entry fees

sorry only seeing your link now. I seem to have been told the extremely wrong thing so. When I had rang them thats what they had told me anyway so apologies about that I have it very wrong but was just going by what I had been told.
Original post by podgey
sorry only seeing your link now. I seem to have been told the extremely wrong thing so. When I had rang them thats what they had told me anyway so apologies about that I have it very wrong but was just going by what I had been told.

No worries, I wish that was the case. Likely who you were talking to was in the fees dept rather than vet and probably got confused since there are two 5 year courses, undergrad which is 5 year and 9 k for EU as you say, and 5 year grad entry which is 15 k :frown:. The 5 year grad entry is for graduates of a non biological science degree. I'm not sure how it works for non irish applicants but once we have a degree already we still have to pay the full fees regardless unfortunately. The fees are so high they even brought it up in my interview how I was expecting to pay them! I think they have problems with people accepting offers and then not showing after not being able to pay :frown:
Reply 28
No worries, I wish that was the case. Likely who you were talking to was in the fees dept rather than vet and probably got confused since there are two 5 year courses, undergrad which is 5 year and 9 k for EU as you say, and 5 year grad entry which is 15 k :frown:. The 5 year grad entry is for graduates of a non biological science degree. I'm not sure how it works for non irish applicants but once we have a degree already we still have to pay the full fees regardless unfortunately. The fees are so high they even brought it up in my interview how I was expecting to pay them! I think they have problems with people accepting offers and then not showing after not being able to pay :frown:

Yeah I had kind of thought to myself it sounds a bit too good to be true but had no reason to doubt the fees office. Yep should have definitely called the vet department to make sure, I had meant to but when the fees office had told me that I just presumed it was correct. yeah seems like they got confused somewhere alright. The fees are very high alright and actually just checked the updated fees there now and they seem to have gone up about another grand. oh really? how did you find the interview?

How did you find the gamsat also? I actually just finished my degree this year and decided not to do the gamsat in march as I just didnt have time to set aside to study properly for it and felt it would be a waste to do it having not prepared properly but I see you only started studying for it the week before so maybe I should have just went for it! anyway!
Original post by podgey
Yeah I had kind of thought to myself it sounds a bit too good to be true but had no reason to doubt the fees office. Yep should have definitely called the vet department to make sure, I had meant to but when the fees office had told me that I just presumed it was correct. yeah seems like they got confused somewhere alright. The fees are very high alright and actually just checked the updated fees there now and they seem to have gone up about another grand. oh really? how did you find the interview?

How did you find the gamsat also? I actually just finished my degree this year and decided not to do the gamsat in march as I just didnt have time to set aside to study properly for it and felt it would be a waste to do it having not prepared properly but I see you only started studying for it the week before so maybe I should have just went for it! anyway!

The interview was fine, very informal and the interviewers were super nice. It's not an interview like the UK schools do it - they don't ask you stuff on your specific knowledge of vet issues but it's more an exercise in seeing if you are prepared to undertake a vet degree.

The GAMSAT is an awful exam for sure, but they don't require as much as human medicine requires. I got in off a gamsat score of 54 if I remember correctly. UCD are good about looking at your ap as a whole, your gamsat score, your degree grade, your interview, your experience, your personal statement - they take all of it in to account so if you score a bit poorly on one part you can make up for it on another. I'd definitely recommend anyone doubting whether to take it just to take it especially if its already paid for, you never know you might get lucky. I just spent a week or two doing practice tests over and over, it's really like a test of stamina if nothing else. I didn't practice for the english part at all though. To be honest I'm probably not the best person to take advice from on the gamsat, I feel I got very lucky and also because I was already quite strong on the english/writing bits that it brought up my poorly studied science section haha.
Yes because it's graduate entry. You don't get any free fees for a second degree

Do you mind me asking how were you able to pay the fees? Were you able to get a loan from a bank or something? :smile:
Original post by MeganMacA
Do you mind me asking how were you able to pay the fees? Were you able to get a loan from a bank or something? :smile:

No unfortunately there is no bank (at least in Ireland) that will give that money just to a student. You can get it with a co signed loan with a parent. It sucks because if your family don't have the means you're pretty much stuck. I don't know of anyone who was able to pay their own way entirely with UCDs fees. I'm just lucky to have family that has been willing to make sacrifices to get me where I've always wanted to be.
This is why there are only five places for Irish in the grad entry since it's unlikely we can pay the fees (I am guessing that's why) and roughly 35-40 places for North Americans on the grad entry, because they have access to full student loans.
(edited 6 years ago)
No unfortunately there is no bank (at least in Ireland) that will give that money just to a student. You can get it with a co signed loan with a parent. It sucks because if your family don't have the means you're pretty much stuck. I don't know of anyone who was able to pay their own way entirely with UCDs fees. I'm just lucky to have family that has been willing to make sacrifices to get me where I've always wanted to be.
This is why there are only five places for Irish in the grad entry since it's unlikely we can pay the fees (I am guessing that's why) and roughly 35-40 places for North Americans on the grad entry, because they have access to full student loans.

I had a feeling that was the case, I'm Irish too and just trying to figure out funding assistance but yeah looks like I'll be going for the co signed loan which is pretty crappy but sure! What made you decide to go to UCD rather than the cheaper UK/other EU options?
[QUOTE=MeganMacA;72794154]I had a feeling that was the case, I'm Irish too and just trying to figure out funding assistance but yeah looks like I'll be going for the co signed loan which is pretty crappy but sure! What made you decide to go to UCD rather than the cheaper UK/other EU options?

I did apply to both Budapest and Kosice and was accepted but decided to ultimately stay here for personal reasons. My partner lives and works here in Ireland and I wouldn't be able to bring my dog who has a long term illness with me. Also the whole Brexit thing which happened when I was applying put me off. Im not one of those people who think the European schools are any lesser but I definitely want to practice in the UK at some stage and there was uncertainty as to whether that would be possible when I was applying to the European schools, Kosice at the time had lost its EAEVE accreditation (which it now has back) while UCD had both EAEVE and AVMA accred so if I could stay at home I wanted to.

Oh and as far as UK schools the only cheaper option is RVC really and the competition is pretty stiff so didn't think it likely for me (also I was too late applying as I'm just that organised :biggrin:)
(edited 6 years ago)
I did apply to both Budapest and Kosice and was accepted but decided to ultimately stay here for personal reasons. My partner lives and works here in Ireland and I wouldn't be able to bring my dog who has a long term illness with me. Also the whole Brexit thing which happened when I was applying put me off. Im not one of those people who think the European schools are any lesser but I definitely want to practice in the UK at some stage and there was uncertainty as to whether that would be possible when I was applying to the European schools, Kosice at the time had lost its EAEVE accreditation (which it now has back) while UCD had both EAEVE and AVMA accred so if I could stay at home I wanted to.

Oh and as far as UK schools the only cheaper option is RVC really and the competition is pretty stiff so didn't think it likely for me (also I was too late applying as I'm just that organised :biggrin:)

Fair enough thanks so much for replying! :smile: It really is a daunting process trying to gather all the info on where is possible, cheap(ish) and also accredited! Do nottingham/cambridge/bristol/liverpool not all offer vet med or were you purely looking at courses that offer the shorter grad programme? Can't believe ucas applications need to be in by Oct, that requires some serious organisation!
Original post by MeganMacA
Fair enough thanks so much for replying! :smile: It really is a daunting process trying to gather all the info on where is possible, cheap(ish) and also accredited! Do nottingham/cambridge/bristol/liverpool not all offer vet med or were you purely looking at courses that offer the shorter grad programme? Can't believe ucas applications need to be in by Oct, that requires some serious organisation!

I think RVC and Edinburgh (and maybe one other? I can't remember) are the only ones to offer a 4 year course which was what I was looking for. Ediburgh fees are just as bad, RVC is the only one to offer a slightly cheaper 4 year course afaik. To be honest I didn't do a whole lot of research on the UK schools and by the time I did I realised I was too late to apply, and I didn't want to lose another year as I'm already a bit older as a grad applicant anyway. That was a serious ''woopsie'' on my part haha. Another Irish girl from my year did apply to RVC and got it but chose UCD in the end although I'm not sure her reasons.
Hi there :smile:

Quick question: Is there anyone here applying for RVC grad accelerated this year that doesn't have A-level chemistry? I have it to AS and on their website they say that there are no specific A-level requirements for the grad accelerated programs. However, I'm considering taking it this year so that I can apply to another couple of places, probably Surrey and Liverpool, though I will have a full time job this year. Does anyone have experience taking / or plan to take, and extra A-level this year whilst working?

Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Soph_ellen
Hi there :smile:

Quick question: Is there anyone here applying for RVC grad accelerated this year that doesn't have A-level chemistry? I have it to AS and on their website they say that there are no specific A-level requirements for the grad accelerated programs. However, I'm considering taking it this year so that I can apply to another couple of places, probably Surrey and Liverpool, though I will have a full time job this year. Does anyone have experience taking / or plan to take, and extra A-level this year whilst working?

Cheers :biggrin:

Hey :smile:
I'm starting the grad entry course at RVC in Sept and I retook Chem A level last year (I already had chemistry A2 grade C which I wanted to bump up to an A).
I did it online through Pembrokeshire College in Wales - I mostly self taught through the textbooks although they are available online for support. I did my written exams at my local secondary school as an independent candidate, the biggest issue with taking science A levels as an adult is you have to be assessed on the practical elements and most secondary schools assess their pupils throughout the year. Pembrokeshire college run a 2-3 day workshop in Feb half term to assess your practicals for the exam board. It's not especially cheap but if you work it's not so bad (a few hundred plus fees for written exams) I actually only got a B in the end but still got a few vet med interviews so all was not lost!

Let me know if you have any particular questions!
Original post by Popsicle_pirate
Hey :smile:
I'm starting the grad entry course at RVC in Sept and I retook Chem A level last year (I already had chemistry A2 grade C which I wanted to bump up to an A).
I did it online through Pembrokeshire College in Wales - I mostly self taught through the textbooks although they are available online for support. I did my written exams at my local secondary school as an independent candidate, the biggest issue with taking science A levels as an adult is you have to be assessed on the practical elements and most secondary schools assess their pupils throughout the year. Pembrokeshire college run a 2-3 day workshop in Feb half term to assess your practicals for the exam board. It's not especially cheap but if you work it's not so bad (a few hundred plus fees for written exams) I actually only got a B in the end but still got a few vet med interviews so all was not lost!

Let me know if you have any particular questions!

Hey! Thanks so much for your reply :smile: Yeah I'm thinking of just getting the chemistry books and self-teaching to be honest. I'm finding that most of the online courses only offer the 2 year program, whereas I only need year 2...seems strange....and I don't really want to pay for AS and A2 when I already have AS. I have spoken to a couple of universities that have said that I can get away without the practical aspect since I have a master's with analytical chemistry in it, but I will need a referee to confirm my practical skills. Think I'll just go for it and hope that it all comes flooding back 6 years on! Thanks again :smile:
Reply 39
I am a Biovet graduate, applying this year with only Biology Psychology and Spanish A levels. After speaking with admissions at RVC is seems as though A Levels are not a concern for them. So got everything crossed that they will focus on my experience and degree transcripts!

Latest

Trending

Trending