The Student Room Group

Resitting GCSE's

I've just finished year 11. If I don't pass, can I resit English Language & Maths in November whilst doing my A Levels this year ? Would I have to go to a centre if my sixth form doesn't do resits ? I plan in taking bio,chem and history for A Level
Original post by sarahyi
I've just finished year 11. If I don't pass, can I resit English Language & Maths in November whilst doing my A Levels this year ? Would I have to go to a centre if my sixth form doesn't do resits ? I plan in taking bio,chem and history for A Level

Apart from the fact I really couldn't see a sixth form letting you do chemistry if you fail maths, or letting you do history if you fail English then yes you can resit them in November.
However, you only actually have to pass English Language or Literature to not have to retake English, so if you pass Literature then you would not have to retake language.
Yes, if your sixth form does not do resits then you would have to find an alternative centre, but if a sixth form is teaching the course then it is extremely unlikely they would not offer the exam at their centre rather than the hassle of having to ensure the students found a suitable centre when they are ready.
HTH
Reply 2
Original post by sarahyi

It does depend if you can do it at school or not. You can re-sit them whilst you are doing A-Levels but schools can count a re-sit as one of your options so you may have to sit them privately. Otherwise yes, you can do that.
Reply 3
Original post by Lemur14
Apart from the fact I really couldn't see a sixth form letting you do chemistry if you fail maths, or letting you do history if you fail English then yes you can resit them in November.
However, you only actually have to pass English Language or Literature to not have to retake English, so if you pass Literature then you would not have to retake language.
Yes, if your sixth form does not do resits then you would have to find an alternative centre, but if a sixth form is teaching the course then it is extremely unlikely they would not offer the exam at their centre rather than the hassle of having to ensure the students found a suitable centre when they are ready.
HTH

I was about to say, for Chemistry don't school/colleges require a minimum of grade 6 in maths?
Original post by S2M
I was about to say, for Chemistry don't school/colleges require a minimum of grade 6 in maths?

Yes most do, although you will get the occasional school who is desperate for people who will waver this requirement if they got an ok grade in chemistry. Usually going to those schools is not good though.
Reply 5
Original post by Lemur14
Yes most do, although you will get the occasional school who is desperate for people who will waver this requirement if they got an ok grade in chemistry. Usually going to those schools is not good though.

Yeah lol, the school that I used to go to. It's more of a exception when it's their own students. When you've been there for years, then they may be lenient, but not for external students.
Original post by S2M
Yeah lol, the school that I used to go to. It's more of a exception when it's their own students. When you've been there for years, then they may be lenient, but not for external students.

Yes that's a good point. Also the uncertainty with the new maths GCSE this year may make things slightly more lenient than usual
Reply 7
Original post by Lemur14
HTH

I do history and I'm pretty sure I'm getting an A or B in it so wouldn't they focus on that more rather than English language
Original post by sarahyi
I do history and I'm pretty sure I'm getting an A or B in it so wouldn't they focus on that more rather than English language

Most sixth forms will want both. For example, my sixth form offers 2 history courses. The first requires a 6 in English Lang, a 4 in maths (I have no clue why lol), and if possible a B in history. The second requires a 5 in English Lang, a 4 in maths and if possible a B in history. Hence, they clearly feel English Language is quite important for A level history (and I would agree tbh having taken GCSE)
Reply 9
Original post by Lemur14
Yes that's a good point. Also the uncertainty with the new maths GCSE this year may make things slightly more lenient than usual

Yeah true, since they're harder than now.
Reply 10
Original post by Lemur14
Most sixth forms will want both. For example, my sixth form offers 2 history courses. The first requires a 6 in English Lang, a 4 in maths (I have no clue why lol), and if possible a B in history. The second requires a 5 in English Lang, a 4 in maths and if possible a B in history. Hence, they clearly feel English Language is quite important for A level history (and I would agree tbh having taken GCSE)

Thank you i think I need to go your school lol
Original post by sarahyi
Thank you i think I need to go your school lol

no problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest