The Student Room Group

Shadowing is very awkward

I feel like they dont care im there (fairs) and always have to ask to go in to the rooms to watch n ****. Worse thing is ive pretty muched asked everything and i still have to go for another 3 days ... all day as well for it to count..... so boring.... adn awkward
Error: Context not found
Reply 2
in a dentist and all i do is sit there and watch them hardly speak or do much
Reply 3
Original post by cbreef
Error: Context not found

Work experience. He's shadowing a dentist.
Reply 4
Original post by FaZe Clan
in a dentist and all i do is sit there and watch them hardly speak or do much

That's kind of what it is.

I only shadowed a doctor for one day.
I would definatley say you will get a few dentists who will pretend that you are not there, and there are some that will show you stuff and let you get involved helping the nurse. its a shame that your experience is going like that. I would recommened you the nurse if you can help with what they are doing and read up about certain procedures and ask dentist questions. even help out on reception its all experience its up to you what you nake of it!
Think you have to take what you can get but get chatting and ask questions. If you show you are interested then they will have more time for you normally
Reply 7
I feel like they dont care im there (fairs) and always have to ask to go in to the rooms to watch n ****. Worse thing is ive pretty muched asked everything and i still have to go for another 3 days ... all day as well for it to count..... so boring.... adn awkward

Be grateful that you have some work experience. Being a dentist is a stressful job made more stressful when you have extra people observing. You don't seem like you enjoy it that much and you've made several threads which make it clear that Dentistry is more of a means to an end for you. If you find it boring now and you are mainly interested in it for the money then you're going to find 5 years of one of the toughest undergraduate courses very boring and awkward. Have you considered a different career option?
(edited 6 years ago)

What did you expect? they have a job to do and living to earn.

Just dont get in the way , observe and be polite. Its up to you to ask anything interesting about their job and what they do. Its a balancing act. If you find it boring then perhaps dentistry isnt for you. Be careful you arent looking noticeably bored or they will ask you to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest