The Student Room Group

New course finance help!

Hello

In 2008-2010 I started a degree, did two years and left. I couldn't hack it. I've always struggled with mental health problems, and have for the last few years been on medication.

I have got a place on my dream course. Graphic design, three years degree with one year placement.

I applied for student finance, and have been told I qualify for three years full funding. As my course is four years but one year is a placement year (no tuition fees, I'll get a paid placement) so I don't need any funding for my third year. However student finance are refusing to give me tuition fee loan for my first year. When I've rang up they've answered like robots 'you can't pick and choose what years you get money'... but I won't need a loan for the third year?!

It's stressing me out so much. I've sent a therapists statement to SLC but didn't start having therapy til years after I dropped out, so not sure it will suffice.

Any ideas what I should do? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Shefhelp88
Hello

In 2008-2010 I started a degree, did two years and left. I couldn't hack it. I've always struggled with mental health problems, and have for the last few years been on medication.

I have got a place on my dream course. Graphic design, three years degree with one year placement.

I applied for student finance, and have been told I qualify for three years full funding. As my course is four years but one year is a placement year (no tuition fees, I'll get a paid placement) so I don't need any funding for my third year. However student finance are refusing to give me tuition fee loan for my first year. When I've rang up they've answered like robots 'you can't pick and choose what years you get money'... but I won't need a loan for the third year?!

It's stressing me out so much. I've sent a therapists statement to SLC but didn't start having therapy til years after I dropped out, so not sure it will suffice.

Any ideas what I should do? Thanks.

SLC are correct. You're entitled to a loan for the new course length + 1 year - previous study. So for you that's 4+1-2 = 3. If you want to argue that you don't need a loan for 3rd year the calculation would become 3+1-2=2 and you're still not eligible for loans for the whole of the new course.

They do work backwards, and fund the end of the course first. This is because you've already had the maximum amount of funding for the start of the course, and they also want to see some commitment - they can't keep funding your first year for you to drop out again, as then you could argue you still had 2 years left and have another 2 attempts at first year.

If you are eligible for additional funding through your Compelling Personal Reasons, this would give you funding for first year. You have to prove that your mental health issues caused you to drop out, so your therapist letter from years later is unlikely to be sufficient evidence.

If you don't get CPR, you'll have to fund your first year yourself. You may be able to study part time (eg through the Open University) as you can then work part time whilst studying. You might want to take a few years out to save up for the fees. You might be able to find a company that would employ you and pay the course fees - although I don't know of any that would for your subject.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
SLC are correct. You're entitled to a loan for the new course length + 1 year - previous study. So for you that's 4+1-2 = 3. If you want to argue that you don't need a loan for 3rd year the calculation would become 3+1-2=2 and you're still not eligible for loans for the whole of the new course.

They do work backwards, and fund the end of the course first. This is because you've already had the maximum amount of funding for the start of the course, and they also want to see some commitment - they can't keep funding your first year for you to drop out again, as then you could argue you still had 2 years left and have another 2 attempts at first year.

If you are eligible for additional funding through your Compelling Personal Reasons, this would give you funding for first year. You have to prove that your mental health issues caused you to drop out, so your therapist letter from years later is unlikely to be sufficient evidence.

If you don't get CPR, you'll have to fund your first year yourself. You may be able to study part time (eg through the Open University) as you can then work part time whilst studying. You might want to take a few years out to save up for the fees. You might be able to find a company that would employ you and pay the course fees - although I don't know of any that would for your subject.

Thanks for your response, I was worried that was the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending