The Student Room Group

UKCAT books

Hi,

I've bought Medify and am also using the question bank released by the medic portal to revise for the UKCAT. I didn't initially think I'd need the books as i thought i had enough resources, and i thought using online resources would be more helpful as it simulates the actual exam.

However, lots of people have told me they found the books most useful - should I buy them? Or is what i'm using enough (+ the actual ukcat website). My exam is in about 2 weeks.

Thanks!!
Original post by iamayesha
Hi,

I've bought Medify and am also using the question bank released by the medic portal to revise for the UKCAT. I didn't initially think I'd need the books as i thought i had enough resources, and i thought using online resources would be more helpful as it simulates the actual exam.

However, lots of people have told me they found the books most useful - should I buy them? Or is what i'm using enough (+ the actual ukcat website). My exam is in about 2 weeks.

Thanks!!

I would recommend using the books if you are still uncomfortable with certain techniques. Some of the books have good ''cheat'' tips. Just remember that what works for others may not work for you. With UKCAT it's all about practice, so the more questions you attempt the more likely you will get a higher score. I hope this helped x
Why practi
Hi,

Thanks!!

NO point practising under real life conditions until you understand the test properly and work out what techniques work best for you. Many people would use a book first such as the ISC 1250Q book, or Kaplan, before moving to online practice.

Online practice does not make it easy to work out your techniques in detail. Its main advantage is replication of conditions but that is what you do when you are ready.
Reply 3
Original post by games211
I would recommend using the books if you are still uncomfortable with certain techniques. Some of the books have good ''cheat'' tips. Just remember that what works for others may not work for you. With UKCAT it's all about practice, so the more questions you attempt the more likely you will get a higher score. I hope this helped x

what worked for you?
what worked for you?

If I can remember accurately- I used the 600+qs and Kaplan book, and medify for 2 weeks or so
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by UKCATrocks
Why practi

NO point practising under real life conditions until you understand the test properly and work out what techniques work best for you. Many people would use a book first such as the ISC 1250Q book, or Kaplan, before moving to online practice.

Online practice does not make it easy to work out your techniques in detail. Its main advantage is replication of conditions but that is what you do when you are ready.

What do you mean by it 'does not make it easy to work out techniques in detail'?
I'm not really doing it under timed conditions or anything atm, just using questions from online resources instead of books.
Would you still recommend the books 2 weeks before my exam, I feel like it's too close now...
Reply 6
If I can remember accurately- I used the 600+qs and Kaplan book, and medify for 2 weeks or so

Oh okay, do you mind me asking what you got?
Oh okay, do you mind me asking what you got?

Mid 700s
Reply 8
Mid 700s

That's really good! Did you have 2 weeks of preparation altogether or was that just how long you used medify for.
Sorry for so many questions
Thankss
That's really good! Did you have 2 weeks of preparation altogether or was that just how long you used medify for.
Sorry for so many questions
Thankss

Thanks :biggrin:. Ask me or anyone as many as you want, seriously it's more than fine. 2 weeks for medify and 3-4 weeks overall.
Reply 10
Thanks :biggrin:. Ask me or anyone as many as you want, seriously it's more than fine. 2 weeks for medify and 3-4 weeks overall.

haha thankyouu
Hi,

Thanks!!

Hi there,

I would recommend Medify as a great question bank. In terms of books, some are quite iffy and out of date, but certain ones are good.

I scored 900 in three sections, and have written my own 500 page book set on the UKCAT. Have a look at the Verbal Reasoning book (100% free) www.medicmind.co.uk/resources

Good luck!

Kunal
UCL Medicine
www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-mentoring
What do you mean by it 'does not make it easy to work out techniques in detail'?
I'm not really doing it under timed conditions or anything atm, just using questions from online resources instead of books.
Would you still recommend the books 2 weeks before my exam, I feel like it's too close now...

2 weeks is still lots of time, and using books will help you supplement the theory you already know. Just use the techniques you feel are useful, and don't force yourself to take on every technique if it is adding stress.

In these last few days work to consolidate your techniques. The day before, you need to get yourself into the right mindset for the test. For Verbal Reasoning, you will be nervous going into the test, so reading 3 passages before will help you settle down and be ready for the challenge. Do this in the car on the way there, or before you leave home. For Quantitative Reasoning you should learn the formulae required. For Abstract Reasoning re-read the patterns tables. For Situational Judgement re-read the GMC guidelines. For Decision Making skim read the different question types and rules.
Reply 13
Original post by Medic Mind
Hi there,

I would recommend Medify as a great question bank. In terms of books, some are quite iffy and out of date, but certain ones are good.

I scored 900 in three sections, and have written my own 500 page book set on the UKCAT. Have a look at the Verbal Reasoning book (100% free) www.medicmind.co.uk/resources

Good luck!

Kunal
UCL Medicine
www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-mentoring

Original post by Medic Mind
2 weeks is still lots of time, and using books will help you supplement the theory you already know. Just use the techniques you feel are useful, and don't force yourself to take on every technique if it is adding stress.

In these last few days work to consolidate your techniques. The day before, you need to get yourself into the right mindset for the test. For Verbal Reasoning, you will be nervous going into the test, so reading 3 passages before will help you settle down and be ready for the challenge. Do this in the car on the way there, or before you leave home. For Quantitative Reasoning you should learn the formulae required. For Abstract Reasoning re-read the patterns tables. For Situational Judgement re-read the GMC guidelines. For Decision Making skim read the different question types and rules.

Thanks, the advice for the last few days is really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending