The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3740
Original post by Zacken
Depends on the college and depends on the college. No.

Are subject dinners college specific?
Reply 3741
Original post by Zacken
Depends on the college and depends on the college. No.

How was your tripos
Original post by 11234
How often are formal dinners and what do you have to wear? Are you expected to drink alcohol?

There are two compulsory formal dinners in your uni life, matriculation dinner at the start and graduation dinner at the end. (Unless you go to Gonville and Caius where you have a certain number of slightly less formal formal dinners per term.) Different colleges offer formals at different rates, from every day to once a week. Most people probably go a few times a term at most.

In the majority of colleges you have to wear a jacket and tie (for males) or equivalent (for females) as well as your gown.

Some colleges offer tickets including wine (usually at a slightly higher price) and most others allow wine to be brought along. Drinking alcohol is never compulsory and water is also provided.
Original post by 11234

Think so, it seems to be more of a DoS thing than anything else. We haven't had any at King's but I know the DoSes at Homerton organise them every so often for Maths.
Reply 3744
Original post by Saracen's Fez
There are two compulsory formal dinners in your uni life, matriculation dinner at the start and graduation dinner at the end. (Unless you go to Gonville and Caius where you have a certain number of slightly less formal formal dinners per term.) Different colleges offer formals at different rates, from every day to once a week. Most people probably go a few times a term at most.

In the majority of colleges you have to wear a jacket and tie (for males) or equivalent (for females) as well as your gown.

Some colleges offer tickets including wine (usually at a slightly higher price) and most others allow wine to be brought along. Drinking alcohol is never compulsory and water is also provided.

pepsi?
Original post by 11234
pepsi?

There aren't soft drinks offered at all/most(?) colleges formals but at some colleges you can bring in drinks purchased at the college bar, including pepsi if you wish. (at least you can do so at King's)
Reply 3746
Original post by Zacken
There aren't soft drinks offered at all/most(?) colleges formals but at some colleges you can bring in drinks purchased at the college bar, including pepsi if you wish. (at least you can do so at King's)

does anyone do it?
Reply 3747
Original post by 11234
does anyone do it?

There is usually elderflower fizzy stuff on the tables at Homerton formals.
Reply 3748
Original post by alow
There is usually elderflower fizzy stuff on the tables at Homerton formals.

urrgh...sounds horrible
Reply 3749
Original post by 11234
does anyone do it?

Does anyone bring in soft drinks? Why wouldn't they if they want to? There are many people who don't drink alcohol for religious or other reasons. It's no biggy.

PS. You can ask multiple questions in a single post :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11234
pepsi?

I've never known it happen personally. I'm not sure how colleges would feel about it though personally as a teetotaller I would favour a more open policy on soft drinks coming into formals.
Original post by 11234

can be both.
Many departments organizw a formal or two (one of them usually Christmas one) a year for their students, too, though places are usually limited so not all the students can attend.
Original post by 11234
does anyone do it?

Yeah dw my friend bought in Shloer once and it was fine
Original post by Doonesbury
You can ask multiple questions in a single post :wink:

PRSOM
Reply 3754
Original post by 11234
urrgh...sounds horrible

It's great.
Reply 3755
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I've never known it happen personally. I'm not sure how colleges would feel about it though personally as a teetotaller I would favour a more open policy on soft drinks coming into formals.

I don't like wine and I've brought those little squeezy Robinsons squash things into formal before.
Original post by 11234
pepsi?

There're many who cannot/do not drink alcohol for various reasons, so nobody put pressure on you to drink it if you don't want to, and many colleges offer soft drinks at formal for them. What they serve depends on a college.
Reply 3757
Original post by alow
I don't like wine and I've brought those little squeezy Robinsons squash things into formal before.

yes wine tastes like pisss i just hate its taste. Robinsons squash lol
Reply 3758
Original post by Zacken
PRSOM

what does that mean i see people post it but cant work out what it means
Reply 3759
Original post by 11234
yes wine tastes like pisss i just hate its taste. Robinsons squash lol

It's a good shout. Easy to slip into a jacket pocket or small bag.

Latest

Trending

Trending