The Student Room Group

are rape jokes acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Not really. I think rape is one of those areas. Care to give me some rape jokes you find amusing? Context as well?

Would you still fin them funny if your mum, you or sister had been raped?

Sure, the comedian Jim Jefferies made quite a funny rape joke. Not like it would translate well over text anyway but the general gist of the story (which is apparently true) it was that a woman offered to pick Jim up in her car and offered him a lift to where he wanted to go. Just before driving off though she phoned her mother to let her know that she would hope to be home in about an hour but to know "she was picking up a stranger, just in case she were to get raped or anything". After she hung up the call there was a brief silence before Jim jokes... "wow you just made this rape really awkward"...

Now I'm not interested in whether you find it funny or not, as I said the delivery from the man himself in his Australian accent makes it funnier, which the audiences attest to as well.

I also refuse you recognize your idiotic argument of "would you still find them funny if your mum, you or sister had been raped". A pathetic attempt at shaming others.

Would you find banana peel jokes funny if your mum slipped on one and broke her neck? Comedy doesn't work like that unless you're a moron, or you're a hypocrite who thinks only a few certain subjects should never be joked about.
Reply 41
No.
I find it hard to be amused by rape jokes, regardless of the context...
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Sure, the comedian Jim Jefferies made quite a funny rape joke. Not like it would translate well over text anyway but the general gist of the story (which is apparently true) it was that a woman offered to pick Jim up in her car and offered him a lift to where he wanted to go. Just before driving off though she phoned her mother to let her know that she would hope to be home in about an hour but to know "she was picking up a stranger, just in case she were to get raped or anything". After she hung up the call there was a brief silence before Jim jokes... "wow you just made this rape really awkward"...

Now I'm not interested in whether you find it funny or not, as I said the delivery from the man himself in his Australian accent makes it funnier, which the audiences attest to as well.

I also refuse you recognize your idiotic argument of "would you still find them funny if your mum, you or sister had been raped". A pathetic attempt at shaming others.

Would you find banana peel jokes funny if your mum slipped on one and broke her neck? Comedy doesn't work like that unless you're a moron, or you're a hypocrite who thinks only a few certain subjects should never be joked about.

I just find it a bit strange you would validate it in that way.
Most other crimes I think you can get away with bit theres something thats just a bit too repulsive about rape, especially if you had any idea or experience of it that people are going to find it unacceptable

Its not an idiotic argument it was a genuine question. Its idiotic to think you wouldnt have a different perspective if youd been a rape victim or someone in your family had been. presumably youd still find it funny., which again is a bit strange.

Most people dont die for the rare occasions that someone actually slips one banana peel. Rape is a bit more common and a bit more serious even if you cant see it. Other areas I can see and dont have an issue with, just find rape jokes pretty sad. You are right it doesnt come across well in text. Anyway enjoy.

I'd suspect its just the boys that find it a funny subject, but the OP made it conveniently anonymous. Be interesting to see if any females think its a funny subject..
(edited 6 years ago)
Wut. No.
I like when people declare things 'unacceptable', as though they have any say over what jokes other people make and/or find funny.

(edited 6 years ago)
Yes. There is no line in comedy. Just don't be a dick about it
Original post by cherryred90s
What's an example of a rape joke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7kXtg1X-6A

Skip to 2:40. It's about 30 seconds long.
Most other crimes I think you can get away with bit theres something thats just a bit too repulsive about rape, especially if you had any idea or experience of it that people are going to find it unacceptable

Its not an idiotic argument it was a genuine question. Its idiotic to think you wouldnt have a different perspective if youd been a rape victim or someone in your family had been. presumably youd still find it funny., which again is a bit strange.

Most people dont die for the rare occasions that someone actually slips one banana peel. Rape is a bit more common and a bit more serious even if you cant see it. Other areas I can see and dont have an issue with, just find rape jokes pretty sad. You are right it doesnt come across well in text. Anyway enjoy.

I'd suspect its just the boys that find it a funny subject, but the OP made it conveniently anonymous. Be interesting to see if any females think its a funny subject..

As an example:

If I, a Christian, found jokes about Jesus equally offensive as you do with jokes about rape, would you agree to never laugh at a Jesus joke if I agreed to never laugh at a rape joke?

Not actually a Christian btw. Replace "Jesus" with any other type of joke which you may find very funny but which others find highly offensive.
They are not funny whatsoever, and I will never ever accept any reasoning that tries to convince me they are. Even to a non-victim, it's disgusting, insensitive and just a *****y thing to say and even think. Why anyone would even consider making a joke about such a sensitive and life-changing issue is completely beyond me, those that do are just class A scum.

Context means nothing - there's no difference, I don't think, in the level of offensiveness of a rape joke dependent on whether they're told to a victim or not. They are equally offensive and the fact that I've read people say here that they're funny so long as you only say them to non-victims is just absurd. I would be completely disgusted if someone ever mentioned rape to me in the context of a joke. It's not a joke, and shouldn't be made into the subject of one, ever.

So in short, no they are absolutely not acceptable in any circumstance. This isn't just me being "sensitive" or whatever - it's a serious act that leaves many people emotionally scarred (or worse) for long periods of time. Sue me for thinking it's not okay to be joked about.
I don't think there should be any limit to what can and can't be joked about.
Original post by Protostar
They are not funny whatsoever, and I will never ever accept any reasoning that tries to convince me they are. Even to a non-victim, it's disgusting, insensitive and just a *****y thing to say and even think. Why anyone would even consider making a joke about such a sensitive and life-changing issue is completely beyond me, those that do are just class A scum.

Context means nothing - there's no difference, I don't think, in the level of offensiveness of a rape joke dependent on whether they're told to a victim or not. They are equally offensive and the fact that I've read people say here that they're funny so long as you only say them to non-victims is just absurd. I would be completely disgusted if someone ever mentioned rape to me in the context of a joke. It's not a joke, and shouldn't be made into the subject of one, ever.

So in short, no they are absolutely not acceptable in any circumstance. This isn't just me being "sensitive" or whatever - it's a serious act that leaves many people emotionally scarred (or worse) for long periods of time. Sue me for thinking it's not okay to be joked about.

My thoughts exactly.
Original post by angelike1
As an example:

If I, a Christian, found jokes about Jesus equally offensive as you do with jokes about rape, would you agree to never laugh at a Jesus joke if I agreed to never laugh at a rape joke?

Not actually a Christian btw. Replace "Jesus" with any other type of joke which you may find very funny but which others find highly offensive.

Nope just rape. I dont think they are interchangeable.
I dont think we have a problem with banana skins or people making religious jokes.
Society does have a problem with rape. I accept if you find it funny thats your choice I just find it odd and if youd had any experience of it personally or knew of people who had, then you might not find it so hilarious.
At nearly 70 years old, I was raped when I was in care. I was just a child and it remains indelibly printed on my mind even now. I fail to see how anyone can joke or laugh at jokes about rape.

Just proved how much of a hypocrite you are numerous times in that post, well done.

Again, causing someone offence isn't an argument. The fact you're seriously saying rape should never be joked about but confirming you don't have an issue with other areas says it all. It's totally contradictory. And the banana peel was an example. Replace it with whatever you want: murder, theft, disease, kidnapping, car crashed, workplace accidents, you name it. Someone, somewhere is bound to be offended or upset by it. So what do we do, leave those alone, or ban jokes on everything along with rape?
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Just proved how much of a hypocrite you are numerous times in that post, well done.

Again, causing someone offence isn't an argument. The fact you're seriously saying rape should never be joked about but confirming you don't have an issue with other areas says it all. It's totally contradictory. And the banana peel was an example. Replace it with whatever you want: murder, theft, disease, kidnapping, car crashed, workplace accidents, you name it. Someone, somewhere is bound to be offended or upset by it. So what do we do, leave those alone, or ban jokes on everything along with rape?

The OP asked if they are acceptable.

Some things will be and others will not. Thats the whole point in making a judgement call. You think its a hilarious subject and I dont. I just said I think its pretty sad. You frothed all the rest. Its what you do.
Nope just rape. I dont think they are interchangeable.
I dont think we have a problem with banana skins or people making religious jokes.
Society does have a problem with rape. I accept if you find it funny thats your choice I just find it odd and if youd had any experience of it personally or knew of people who had, then you might not find it so hilarious.

So jokes which you find offensive are unacceptable but not jokes which I find offensive?
The OP asked if they are acceptable.

Some things will be and others will not. Thats the whole point in making a judgement call. You think its a hilarious subject and I dont. I just said I think its pretty sad. You frothed all the rest. Its what you do.

Never said that. Nothing more I need to say though, you've summed up my point perfectly.
Reply 58
Of course they can be. Why are so many people here acting as though the humour in rape jokes is always "rape is a hilarious thing to happen"? More often the humour simply comes from the unexpectedness of the punchline.
Reply 59
Original post by Protostar

Thoughts on the following joke?

"My wife was gang raped by a troupe of mime artists.

They performed unspeakable acts on her."

The humour here is nothing more than linguistic, a play on words. The joke itself even confirms that rape is a terrible thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending