The Student Room Group

What do you think about the HS2 plans

yes

Scroll to see replies

Not quite understood why they couldn't just build the line alongside existing tracks
Original post by shawn_o1
Not quite understood why they couldn't just build the line alongside existing tracks

Vastly more expensive because of the infrastructure developed around and over the existing railways since they were laid down during the early to middle of the 19th century.
Reply 3
Do you support it or not?
HS2 is a white elephant project that will swallow billions of our money and be delayed just so our politicians can boast about bringing the economy to the midlands. In fact it will only take yet more business to London and therefore put more pressure on housing etc.

And of course the chilterns and important countryside will be affected. We desperately need investment in infrastructure and railways so don't blow the budget on a harmful HS2.
Original post by james813
HS2 is a white elephant project that will swallow billions of our money and be delayed just so our politicians can boast about bringing the economy to the midlands. In fact it will only take yet more business to London and therefore put more pressure on housing etc.

And of course the chilterns and important countryside will be affected. We desperately need investment in infrastructure and railways so don't blow the budget on a harmful HS2.
You say that as if you can read into the future.

I say bs.

Every single modern railway infrastructure project ever built has brought prosperity to the regions where they run.
If you think about it, HS2 would bring intercity trains off three existing lines (west coast, Midland and east coast). It would free up paths to run more local services between Birmingham and Northampton. It would also enhance rail links to other parts of Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire.
I don't agree with it at all. I live in the south west and a few times, we've been cut off the rest of the country because of severe weather and issues with the tracks. Surely that needs to be sorted first, rather than just cutting someone's precious journey time?
I live in Yorkshire. Not too far from the area people are having their brand new houses flattened
Of all the places they can put the lines, it would appear that here st least they are determined to ruin as many small villages and communities as they can
They plan to run it perilously close to many of these.
Which will destroy house prices and leave people stuck with no buyer.
Not to mention as already said, it will be massively over time, over budget, not actually provide much benefit in the end , taking millions away from areas and projects that are much more deserving of the money
Rail infrastructure improvements are desperately needed and HS2 is the first stage of this. It will lighten the load on the existing network allowing parts to be closed and improvement works to be carried out as there would now be an alternate route around effected areas.

HS2 is the start of something long overdue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd scrap the whole thing and replace it with something else, or at the very least significantly change the route.

The HS2 route as it stands is going to destroy a lot of ancient woodlands and nature reserves. Ancient woodland covers only 2% of Britain's land, is completely irreplaceable and no amount of supposed economic benefit can justify destroying it. None whatsoever. This idea that valuable and irreplaceable wildlife habitats should be destroyed if the development makes enough money is a thoroughly sickening attitude to have.
Original post by uberteknik
You say that as if you can read into the future. I say bs. Every single modern railway infrastructure project ever built has brought prosperity to the regions where they run.

lol you say we can't know the future then tell us what will happen.

You are wrong, every single railway linking a region to the capital has brought prosperity away into the city. That's what we have to avoid when you look at the housing crisis.
Original post by uberteknik

Every single modern railway infrastructure project ever built has brought prosperity to the regions where they run.

I'm not sure. I note that the cost has already doubled since it was first mooted and being the fact that it is a government project I am sceptical if they can bring it in for less than £80 billion. For that sort of money, why not give everyone in the north Terrabyte internet access?
Original post by Meany Pie
Rail infrastructure improvements are desperately needed
Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the one I take umbridge from. Desperately? Really? Last time I headed down to London, the train was half empty. Punctuality on Virgin is 86% which isn't too shabby given the constraints.
I'd rather we invest in Hyperloop.
Original post by ByEeek
This is the one I take umbridge from. Desperately? Really? Last time I headed down to London, the train was half empty. Punctuality on Virgin is 86% which isn't too shabby given the constraints.

You should try being on a commuter train.
You should try being on a commuter train.

Yeah - I get that. But is £50 billion really going to make such a difference to so many people? They built the M6 relief road. Commuters on the old M6 still sit in traffic.
Original post by ByEeek
Yeah - I get that. But is £50 billion really going to make such a difference to so many people? They built the M6 relief road. Commuters on the old M6 still sit in traffic.

I think it will make a difference. Part of the reason is to reduce use on other parts of the network so they can do those repairs.

If you spend much time on trains you will see how bad the network is.
Reply 18
I support it but I suppose that is because of my interest in the railways

I think that if our population is bound to increase, we need the infrastructure to support it and it is much better than having thousands of vehicles, most of which would create pollution, on the roads. I don't see the sound as an issue as trains aren't particularly loud compared to road vehicles, at least they're not in my experiences

If you spend much time on trains you will see how bad the network is.

Perhaps in the internet age it might be worth considering if people actually need to spend so much of their time and money on the rail system. I can't help feeling that the remaining network will not be so much unchanged and all that will happen is that rich business folks use the super new trains and the rest plus more crowd onto the space they have vacated. Like the old M6, it will still be congested whilst those who can afford to pay a premium enjoy arriving 10 minutes early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending