The Student Room Group

Russel group unis with 'soft subjects'

These are my alevel choices
Psychology,
Philosophy and ethics,
And sociology.
I was wondering if this will prevent Russell group universities from accepting me. (I would like to study psychology or something similar so I've picked my subjects based of relevance).I am just worried that although I don't have specific requirements to meet I will be rejected due to my 'soft subject' combination.
Any opinions or advice?

Scroll to see replies

First of all, the Russell Group refers to the unviersities research output, and is largely irrelevant as a metric for undergraduate courses.

Beyond that, most would consider you. You may find it more difficult at e.g. Oxbridge, or possibly LSE (although this would be more likely due to lack of breadth as those subjects are all tagged as "preferred" subejcts) to get an interview/offer but it's unlikely to make a signifcant effect on your application. In fact the specific course combination might be more relevant for e.g. PPL at Oxford or possibly HSPS at Cambridge depending which direction you plan to go. Of course, you would need to actually excel on those courses and demonstrate a genuine interest in the subject(s) in your personal statement - and be ready to think about problems in novel ways in the interview.

If you're still choosing your options, I would probably recommend switching Sociology. It doesn't really add that much if you're interested in Psychology compared to e.g. Biology (or Philosophy which you're already taking), and it's probably the "weak link" if there was one in that combination. If you've already picked those, they are fine on the whole even with the above aside - less relevant is not the same as "bad" :tongue:
If you wish to study psychology at university, I'd say the most relevant A levels would be psychology, biology and maths.

Your choices may make you a weaker candidate as you only have one A level that would be considered a science for entry requirements. Look at entry requirements for specific universities you are interested in to give you an idea.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
First of all, the Russell Group refers to the unviersities research output, and is largely irrelevant as a metric for undergraduate courses.

Beyond that, most would consider you. You may find it more difficult at e.g. Oxbridge, or possibly LSE (although this would be more likely due to lack of breadth as those subjects are all tagged as "preferred" subejcts) to get an interview/offer but it's unlikely to make a signifcant effect on your application. In fact the specific course combination might be more relevant for e.g. PPL at Oxford or possibly HSPS at Cambridge depending which direction you plan to go. Of course, you would need to actually excel on those courses and demonstrate a genuine interest in the subject(s) in your personal statement - and be ready to think about problems in novel ways in the interview.

If you're still choosing your options, I would probably recommend switching Sociology. It doesn't really add that much if you're interested in Psychology compared to e.g. Biology (or Philosophy which you're already taking), and it's probably the "weak link" if there was one in that combination. If you've already picked those, they are fine on the whole even with the above aside - less relevant is not the same as "bad" :tongue:

I've taken a look at biology and I feel like although it was one of the sciences I was most likely to pick it is not something I can imagine myself do- any other options? I know some people might suggest economics but my college doesn't do that subject
Yes, most probably won't care. Which universities are you thinking about? Contact them if that would put your mind at ease

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Quantex
If you wish to study psychology at university, I'd say the most relevant A levels would be psychology, biology and maths.

Your choices may make you a weaker candidate as you only have one A level that would be considered a science for entry requirements. Look at entry requirements for specific universities you are interested in to give you an idea.

All the entry requirements say you need one science (including psychology) although two would be preferred- do you have any other a level subjects other than the sciences you would recommend?
Reply 6
Original post by YaliaV
Yes, most probably won't care. Which universities are you thinking about? Contact them if that would put your mind at ease

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leeds university
Birmingham university
York university and a couple of others.
Yeah I'm considering it thanks for the advice.
Original post by H4leem3
Leeds university
Birmingham university
York university and a couple of others.
Yeah I'm considering it thanks for the advice.

Which York university? York St John or Uni of York?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by CrossedHammers6
Which York university? York St John or Uni of York?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The university of York
Original post by H4leem3
I've taken a look at biology and I feel like although it was one of the sciences I was most likely to pick it is not something I can imagine myself do- any other options? I know some people might suggest economics but my college doesn't do that subject

As someone else noted Maths is not a bad choice, although a lot of the content isn't as relevant for psychology unless you into e.g. computational neurobiology/linguistics - which are major research areas, to be sure.

It's worth noting you'll cover at least some of the content from A-level Biology in the course of an accredited Psychology degree anyway, and what content you do cover will be done much more quickly, and with less individual instruction than at school. To this end I'd probably still recommend considering this option further, and at least discussing it with your teachers at school and talking about why you have reservations about taking it. They may be able to assuage these and you'll feel freshly inspired to take it, or they may confirm your suspicions and you'll be confident in not following that route. Either way, those are both good outcomes for you.

If you do end up not deciding to pursue biology or maths, then if you don't want to take e.g. english (lit and/or lang - the latter being relevant to psychology as linguistics has a close relationship with the field, although either lit or the combined lit/lang course is preferred by universities somewhat) history or geography, then sociology is certainly a fine choice and as previously mentioned, isn't likely to be an outright reason to reject an applicant.
Original post by H4leem3
The university of York

One of my flatmates studied exactly the courses you mentioned and she got onto the Psychology course at Uni of York without any problems! Just as an example :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
One of my flatmates studied exactly the courses you mentioned and she got onto the Psychology course at Uni of York without any problems! Just as an example :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's actually very nice to hear I was so worried about my choices especially because I don't find any of the facilitating subjects interesting but thanks this has been helpful :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by artful_lounger
As someone else noted Maths is not a bad choice, although a lot of the content isn't as relevant for psychology unless you into e.g. computational neurobiology/linguistics - which are major research areas, to be sure.

It's worth noting you'll cover at least some of the content from A-level Biology in the course of an accredited Psychology degree anyway, and what content you do cover will be done much more quickly, and with less individual instruction than at school. To this end I'd probably still recommend considering this option further, and at least discussing it with your teachers at school and talking about why you have reservations about taking it. They may be able to assuage these and you'll feel freshly inspired to take it, or they may confirm your suspicions and you'll be confident in not following that route. Either way, those are both good outcomes for you.

If you do end up not deciding to pursue biology or maths, then if you don't want to take e.g. english (lit and/or lang - the latter being relevant to psychology as linguistics has a close relationship with the field, although either lit or the combined lit/lang course is preferred by universities somewhat) history or geography, then sociology is certainly a fine choice and as previously mentioned, isn't likely to be an outright reason to reject an applicant.

Thanks for tojr advise I will take this into consideration and my taster day is coming up soon so I'll check these subjects out!:smile:
Original post by H4leem3
That's actually very nice to hear I was so worried about my choices especially because I don't find any of the facilitating subjects interesting but thanks this has been helpful :smile:

Subject choices can be a very daunting process! You're welcome, good luck and I hope you choose to become a Yorkie like me! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Subject choices can be a very daunting process! You're welcome, good luck and I hope you choose to become a Yorkie like me! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! You too, good luck with university I've really been looking into that university so I'm excited to apply πŸ˜…
Original post by H4leem3
Thanks! You too, good luck with university I've really been looking into that university so I'm excited to apply πŸ˜…

I've finished my 3 years and staying on to do a masters here, I'd highly recommend haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I've finished my 3 years and staying on to do a masters here, I'd highly recommend haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great!What subject are you doing? :biggrin:
Original post by H4leem3
That's great!What subject are you doing? :biggrin:

Environmental Geography! Advanced colouring in basically lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Environmental Geography! Advanced colouring in basically lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Advanced colouring wins πŸ˜­πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ hahaha
I study psychology at uni (just finished first year) my a levels were similar to yours (psych, sociology, philosophy and ethics and then politics) and I'm sure you'll be accepted! I was accepted into York but chose to go to Manchester instead
I'm rubbish at maths and the statistics hasn't been too terrible considering I haven't done maths since year 11 ☺️

Quick Reply