The Student Room Group

I don't have any UCAS points. Is there anyway to do a foundation year?

Hello all.

So I am interested in applying for Computer Games Design at Teeside University in Middlebrough as a good friend of mine went there to study Computer Games Art and felt as though I should probably start doing something with my life now that I can see as a career.

I have a big problem though, even if I were to apply for the Foundation Year I would need a minimum of 54 Tariff/UCAS points, which sadly, I don't think I have any at all.

I spent 2 years at college studying Catering and Hospitality and received a Level 1 in Catering, a Level 2 in Bakery, a Basics in Cake Decorating and a Basics in Sugar Craft. As you can probably tell, none of those qualifications would mean a thing since they are a completely different subject to what it is I would like to get into now and as a result I feel a little daunted by the thought that there is nothing I can do.

Does anyone have any idea as to what it is I could do, is there a way to me to get UCAS points in order to apply? Anybody have any tips or tricks?

Thank you for reading
Hello. I think you might be better off doing an adult Access course. They are equivalent to 5 GCSE's and 3 A Levels and would allow you to go to University afterwards. Lots of colleges offer these courses.
Original post by BonkersTA
Hello all.

So I am interested in applying for Computer Games Design at Teeside University in Middlebrough as a good friend of mine went there to study Computer Games Art and felt as though I should probably start doing something with my life now that I can see as a career.

I have a big problem though, even if I were to apply for the Foundation Year I would need a minimum of 54 Tariff/UCAS points, which sadly, I don't think I have any at all.

I spent 2 years at college studying Catering and Hospitality and received a Level 1 in Catering, a Level 2 in Bakery, a Basics in Cake Decorating and a Basics in Sugar Craft. As you can probably tell, none of those qualifications would mean a thing since they are a completely different subject to what it is I would like to get into now and as a result I feel a little daunted by the thought that there is nothing I can do.

Does anyone have any idea as to what it is I could do, is there a way to me to get UCAS points in order to apply? Anybody have any tips or tricks?

Thank you for reading

Foundation years are really for people who got lower grades than expected or did different subjects than the one required @ BTEC or A level. As markova suggested an Access course is probably best for you.

The advantage of the access course is that if you complete it successfully then you have the money written off whereas a foundation year will set you back a years worth of student funding.

Alternatively you could do a BTEC Extended diploma or even diploma and that would get you straight onto the main degree as well. You could also try and apply for computer games design courses all over the country depending on your results.

Theres a BTEC in creative digital media production and also one in computing.

They are mostly coursework so you have to work consistently hard to keep your grades up.

Alternatively the access course is in computing or theres one in Games design at Middlesborough college.

You need GCSE English and Maths.

On p19 and 20
http://www.mbro.ac.uk/home/index/publications/coursebrochures/accesstoHE.aspx

No need to feel daunted. I think the foundation is not an option but the above is assuming you have the English and Maths. If you do not then that needs to be your objective.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Foundation years are really for people who got lower grades than expected or did different subjects than the one required @ BTEC or A level. As markova suggested an Access course is probably best for you.

The advantage of the access course is that if you complete it successfully then you have the money written off whereas a foundation year will set you back a years worth of student funding.

Alternatively you could do a BTEC Extended diploma or even diploma and that would get you straight onto the main degree as well. You could also try and apply for computer games design courses all over the country depending on your results.

Theres a BTEC in creative digital media production and also one in computing.

They are mostly coursework so you have to work consistently hard to keep your grades up.

Alternatively the access course is in computing or theres one in Games design at Middlesborough college.

You need GCSE English and Maths.

On p19 and 20
http://www.mbro.ac.uk/home/index/publications/coursebrochures/accesstoHE.aspx

No need to feel daunted. I think the foundation is not an option but the above is assuming you have the English and Maths. If you do not then that needs to be your objective.

Thanks for bringing this up. It's a bit challenging as I have been out of college for about 4 - 5 years now (I'm 22) so I'm not entirely sure I will be able to get any student funding sadly. I also live in Surrey, the only reason I thought about Teeside was again purely because it was where my friend went to do her course and I thought it must be one of the best since she got a First just recently.

No need to worry about GCSE Maths and English as yes I do have those (I did them in College during my time in Catering).

There is an Access to Higher Education course in Brooklands College which is much closer to me and is only part time, but that claims to only be for Social and Health Care.
http://www.brooklands.ac.uk/course-area/access-to-higher-education

I'm not so sure. What do you think.
Reply 4
Thanks for bringing this up. It's a bit challenging as I have been out of college for about 4 - 5 years now (I'm 22) so I'm not entirely sure I will be able to get any student funding sadly. I also live in Surrey, the only reason I thought about Teeside was again purely because it was where my friend went to do her course and I thought it must be one of the best since she got a First just recently.

No need to worry about GCSE Maths and English as yes I do have those (I did them in College during my time in Catering).

There is an Access to Higher Education course in Brooklands College which is much closer to me and is only part time, but that claims to only be for Social and Health Care.

Nescot (in Epsom) has a science Access HE.
http://www.nescot.ac.uk/adults-and-part-time/access-to-higher-education/

And then Farnham has a Computer Games degree (although pretty much any university will accept an Access HE but specific courses may require a suitable Access HE, and some fussier ones might want an A-level too, but that would generally be for Computer Science rather than Computer Games Dev)
http://www.uca.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-computer-games-arts/

Edit: and RHUL has a list of local colleges offering Access to HE courses. You will need to check the appropriateness of each course for the degree course you want to study.
https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studyhere/undergraduate/maturestudents/accesscourses.aspx

Access HE funding is covered by the Advanced Learners Loan. This doesn't affect student funding for subsequent degree courses.
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/overview
(edited 6 years ago)

Its no good for what you want., unless you intend to get a nursing or social work degree.

You will need to check with the advanced learner loan people as to what funding might be available.

As I pointed out Middlesborough had the appropriate access course ideal for what you wish to do, but thats become a bit irrelevant now. You will just have to find one more local to you that meets your needs. I dont believe you have enough qualifications to do a foundation year. Self teaching a few A levels is about the cheapest way.

If they wont give you the money then you will have to self fund or get a job. You can try a career development loan, but they are commercial loans.
You may be able to apply as a mature student and cite your life experiences. You don't say how old you are though.(EDIT: just seen 22)

I received a conditional offer from Leeds for a science foundation year and I only had Maths and English GCSEs. I'm currently working through their summer courses to satisfy that conditional offer. They took previous work and life experience on board when I applied. I have this year taken physics and chemistry GCSEs but of course don't have the results yet. Never done any formal A level study at all.

I did consider an access course but you cannot claim any maintenance loan from SFE which I needed 100%.
There are a couple of guys on my course that have already done an access course and are starting the foundation year as well.
I don't really understand that I was under the impression that an access course got you onto year 1 of a degree. Otherwise what's the point?

Then again I don't understand the UCAS points system at all, so what do I know? :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Darwinion
There are a couple of guys on my course that have already done an access course and are starting the foundation year as well.
I don't really understand that I was under the impression that an access course got you onto year 1 of a degree. Otherwise what's the point?

Then again I don't understand the UCAS points system at all, so what do I know? :tongue:

Perhaps they did an "unsuitable" Access for the degree course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look at The Open University Access course they are free and you don't have to worry about getting yourself into debt either.
Its no good for what you want., unless you intend to get a nursing or social work degree.

You will need to check with the advanced learner loan people as to what funding might be available.

As I pointed out Middlesborough had the appropriate access course ideal for what you wish to do, but thats become a bit irrelevant now. You will just have to find one more local to you that meets your needs. I dont believe you have enough qualifications to do a foundatjion year. Self teaching a few A levels is about the cheapest way.

If they wont give you the money then you will have to self fund or get a job. You can try a career development loan, but they are commercial loans.

Yeah you do the research The Open University Access course is free Y-032
Original post by WiggleBiggle
Look at The Open University Access course they are free and you don't have to worry about getting yourself into debt either.

If you do the normal Access course and complete it then you get the money written off.
OU Access modules arent universally accepted.
If you do the normal Access course and complete it then you get the money written off.
OU Access modules arent universally accepted.

How is that I heard good things about the open University when it comes to Nursing?

So why are not access deplomas via open reach not unacceptable? Please I am begging you tell me more?
How is that I heard good things about the open University when it comes to Nursing?

So why are not access deplomas via open reach not unacceptable? Please I am begging you tell me more?

All universities have their own admission requirements and preferences. You should check beforehand that you are studying a qualification that the unis you intend to apply to will accept what you are studying.
Reply 13
Yeah you do the research The Open University Access course is free Y-032

OP will qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan anyway.
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

That specific Access course may not be considered appropriate for a Computer Games course. The material it covers isn't relevant...

The OP would need to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
That specific Access course may not be considered appropriate for a Computer Games course. The material it covers isn't relevant...

The OP would need to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for sharing your experiences on this forum it I am delighted to learn from you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending