The Student Room Group

Contract or buy a high end phone outright?

Scroll to see replies

I've recently bought a phone outright and I'm not looking back. You can have the phone you want, and if you want to sell it and get something else, you won't still be paying off the cost of the phone for 2 years. Contracts are generally speaking very expensive over the course of the 2 years.

Last contract I had, the phone broke after a year and I was still paying my £40/month for the 3 months that Carphone Warehouse were trying to fix it, until I got a replacement phone. Whereas if you have a SIM only contract then you can still use the SIM in something else at no extra cost.

Also, SIM contracts are generally 12 months as opposed to 24, so you can change to a cheaper or better contract sooner than you can with a phone contract.

If you have the money I'd say it is worth it. Would hate to sign up to 24 payments of £50 and then realise I didn't like the phone and wanted rid of it. If you own the phone you can sell it and get some money back. With a contract you'd still be paying off the phone if you did that.
It depends.

The best idea is to do the maths. Work out the total cost of the contract minus the worth of the phone. Then divide by the contract length (usually 24). If that still looks like a good phone deal go for it. If you can get a SIM only plus the phone for less, go with that.

ALWAYS shop around being signing a contract. Check:

https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/
https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/
https://www.mobiles.co.uk/
https://www.buymobiles.net/
Original post by IWMTom
And yet, SIM only is a category of contract...

Yep, one that you can end with minimal financial setback.
if you have any second hand phone shops around, DEFINITELY look there. i got my iPhone someone had only used for like one day for essentially £150-200 cheaper, and it doesn't cost much to unlock if from then onwards if you've found a great contract sim you'd like to use. i initially thought i'd get a contract after buying my phone outright, although honestly, it's been just fine using credit seeing as i don't use data unless for emergencies and texting is relatively cheap anyway, plus i don't usually spend a lot of time making calls.
Reply 44
Original post by Edo123
Yep, one that you can end with minimal financial setback.

Well no, you're still going to have to pay off the contract...
Original post by 3mmz
How long do you keep your phones though? Like when do you upgrade?

I've cycled through 9 phones in the last 12 months. But then, 3-4 are kept at anyone time.
Reply 46
Original post by iainvg
I've cycled through 9 phones in the last 12 months. But then, 3-4 are kept at anyone time.

You can't be serious can you?
Original post by iainvg

you sure you arent a drug dealer? :colonhash:
Original post by 3mmz
You can't be serious can you?

Completely serious, trying a phone out in a shop for 5 minutes is pointless, if a device doesn't meet my needs after a few weeks/months I replace it.

Original post by sachinisgod
you sure you arent a drug dealer? :colonhash:

I just like shiny things, and have the money to buy the shiny things :tongue:
Original post by iainvg
I just like shiny things, and have the money to buy the shiny things :tongue:

so do drug dealers :tongue:
Original post by IWMTom
Well no, you're still going to have to pay off the contract...

Even if its a month to month sim only?
Reply 51
Original post by Edo123
Even if its a month to month sim only?

They're generally pretty bad deals, but you'd still have to give 30 days notice.
Reply 52
Original post by IWMTom
They're generally pretty bad deals, but you'd still have to give 30 days notice.

What's a bad deal?
Reply 53
Original post by 3mmz
What's a bad deal?

Rolling contracts. The best deals come from 12 month contracts.
Reply 54
Original post by IWMTom
Rolling contracts. The best deals come from 12 month contracts.

Oh I agree

Vodafone or EE
What's the better network?
Reply 55
Original post by 3mmz
Oh I agree

Vodafone or EE
What's the better network?

From experience, EE has better everything other than price - you'll pay a premium there.
Reply 56
Original post by IWMTom
From experience, EE has better everything other than price - you'll pay a premium there.

True EE are expensive but Unidays will
Give 20% discount

Do you recommend any phone besides the Samsung? Have you tried the HTC U11?
Reply 57
Original post by 3mmz
True EE are expensive but Unidays will
Give 20% discount

Do you recommend any phone besides the Samsung? Have you tried the HTC U11?

Not personally. I gave up on HTC after my M9 suffered a spontaneous eMMC failure and they wanted £200 to fix it, despite it being under warranty.
Original post by 3mmz
I have the money saved already tbh but spending it on a phone sounds insane loll

Yeah, it's quite depressing watching your account balance drop by £700 lol.
Reply 59
Original post by BTAnonymous
Yeah, it's quite depressing watching your account balance drop by £700 lol.

Haha I'm going to do it though

I think it's the way to go as your not tied. Hopefully Vodafone give me a really good deal with a sim only

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending