The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by looloo2134
i have the injection ever 3 months and i never have periods it great ask sexual health worker about it

The pills works for me. And because my periods give me migraine, (why I'm on it in the first place) they probably have to be careful what they give me.
I don't think so because if that was the case I wish I was excused from my PE classes, which clearly is not the case. It teaches us to be more tolerant to the pain.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I don't think so because if that was the case I wish I was excused from my PE classes, which clearly is not the case. It teaches us to be more tolerant to the pain.

Ah "I manage so should everyone else". Mine used to make me sick and unable to walk. I'm lucky that this only lasted throughout my teenage years and they've only just started causing problems again.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Ah "I manage so should everyone else". Mine used to make me sick and unable to walk. I'm lucky that this only lasted throughout my teenage years and they've only just started causing problems again.

Then you can take a day off, if you don't feel well, but when I get serious cramps I don't take anything even though it hurts bad.
I'm a girl and this is stupid, sorry but really? First: periods don't last one day, usually about 3-5 or 5-7 days depending on the person so what is one day going to do? Also we've had periods since we were young, I'm sure we are mature enough to get through it and even if the pain gets to much- Which i totally get! Well, then take a day of sick- periods are basically sore tummies or urine infections but with tons of blood- it's not an excuse to cost your business/company/employer a day of work that you're behind on...plus, this won't really help the wage gap will it? Bit harsh but it's the truth and I'm not being sexist- periods are periods- they're also personal and aren't exactly workplace discussions so they shouldn't interfere with your profession at all
Original post by stressed&blessed
I'm a girl and this is stupid, sorry but really? First: periods don't last one day, usually about 3-5 or 5-7 days depending on the person so what is one day going to do? Also we've had periods since we were young, I'm sure we are mature enough to get through it and even if the pain gets to much- Which i totally get! Well, then take a day of sick- periods are basically sore tummies or urine infections but with tons of blood- it's not an excuse to cost your business/company/employer a day of work that you're behind on...plus, this won't really help the wage gap will it? Bit harsh but it's the truth and I'm not being sexist- periods are periods- they're also personal and aren't exactly workplace discussions so they shouldn't interfere with your profession at all

I wish they were just sore tummies. Mine sometimes give me kidney pain.

Do some people not realise periods are different for every women or something?
I wish they were just sore tummies. Mine sometimes give me kidney pain.

I do sympathise, I do- I have horrible periods pains myself, which is why I'm probably so harsh about it but my argument there would be that those who suffer far greater than others, for you specifically as I heavily sympathise with you, then you'd be much like that of someone on a health plan, honestly I'm not sure how these thing work and I'll be honest with you there but I don't think EVERY woman should have their leave simply because a lot of the time, it is very manageable or at least for the majority of woman but because it is isn't as usual and you'd be a minority as your periods are a lot greater than others that therefore it is a medical issue where perhaps a doctor's email to your business would make an agreement for you much like any other who has a greater medical concern that you'd be permitted leave due to this and paid leave, more so but then again like I said, I'm not aware of how these things work and I understand that my opinion is rather naive
No, if you're unwell then take sick leave. Not all women suffer debilitating pain during their period, some have jobs that are less physical than others, and others might have a greater work ethic so willing to struggle through more.

Clearly, or else we'd not have 742 votes for all women getting a day off.
they probably have to be careful what they give me.

Because of migraines? Doesn't sound right to me, go ask to try something new.
(edited 6 years ago)

Period pain doesn't usually last the entire cycle, it's usually a day or two
Sure, but be willing to take a paycut equal to 12 days of work every year. If you want equal pay for equal work it would seem that's only fair
Original post by cherryred90s
Period pain doesn't usually last the entire cycle, it's usually a day or two

Sadly not for everyone though but I do get what you mean
Sadly not for everyone though but I do get what you mean

That's why I said usually
Original post by cherryred90s
That's why I said usually

ah sorry
Original post by discobish
So in Zambia women are allowed to take a day off for their period once a month, also known as 'Mother's Day'. :borat:

This day doesn't have to be taken on 'day one' - it can be taken at any time of the month when ladies feel their menstrual cycle is interrupting their work (e.g. stomach cramps/back aches leading up to etc). (Read it in full here)

Unsurprisingly, this has stirred up a lot of criticism from both males and females!

As much as it sounds like a good idea... what if 10 female employees all decide to take their 'Mother's Day' on the same day?! Workplaces could crumble :zomg:

Do you think this law is something that should be practiced in England/other countries? :hmmmm:

Or maybe you're completely against the idea?! :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

lolno you think your entittled or sumthig:hmm:hmm:
Yes, but definetly ban maternity leave for unmarried mothers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending