The Student Room Group

Is Film Studies worth doing as an AS level?

I'm interested in becoming a screenwriter when I'm older. I'm taking English Literature, Philosophy and Classics A levels but am considering taking Film Studies as an additional AS level for a year if it's offered. Is it worth doing or would it be a waste of time?
Original post by e2014
I'm interested in becoming a screenwriter when I'm older. I'm taking English Literature, Philosophy and Classics A levels but am considering taking Film Studies as an additional AS level for a year if it's offered. Is it worth doing or would it be a waste of time?

What matters with A levels are your grades.
Ive looked at various film and screenwriting degrees and there are no specific requirements although they seem to all have some sort of interview or expect a portfolio.

If it were me then I would establish whether I am comfy with getting the grades on my main 3.

I dont think it does you any harm if you can do the AS level, but not if it detracts from your other grades.

Identify the courses you are interested in.

It might be worth considering an EPQ and you could make it about screenwriting? That would give you a way in to show your interest and something to talk about for your interview?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What matters with A levels are your grades.
Ive looked at various film and screenwriting degrees and there are no specific requirements although they seem to all have some sort of interview or expect a portfolio.

If it were me then I would establish whether I am comfy with getting the grades on my main 3.

I dont think it does you any harm if you can do the AS level, but not if it detracts from your other grades.

Identify the courses you are interested in.

It might be worth considering an EPQ and you could make it about screenwriting? That would give you a way in to show your interest and something to talk about for your interview?

I'm interesting in studying English Literature at undergrad degree level and then pursuing a screenwriting postgrad degree later on. I thought that it might just be interesting to be able to learn about film in more depth now as it is something that I'm interested in. Alternatively, I could learn the specification and research film in my own time, so I gain the knowledge but don't risk a bad grade? An EPQ is a good idea! I just like the idea of being given a bit of direction in the A Level course.
Original post by e2014
I'm interesting in studying English Literature at undergrad degree level and then pursuing a screenwriting postgrad degree later on. I thought that it might just be interesting to be able to learn about film in more depth now as it is something that I'm interested in. Alternatively, I could learn the specification and research film in my own time, so I gain the knowledge but don't risk a bad grade? An EPQ is a good idea! I just like the idea of being given a bit of direction in the A Level course.

OK id have one the full screenwriting route, but there are masters in it as well.

If you dont need the qualification then I wouldnt let it detract from my three A levels and wouldnt do that nor an EPQ. It doesnt really strengthen either your first degree application or an MA.
What do you do in film studies if someone can explain the course? I love watching movies, am more of a critic.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
OK id have one the full screenwriting route, but there are masters in it as well.

If you dont need the qualification then I wouldnt let it detract from my three A levels and wouldnt do that nor an EPQ. It doesnt really strengthen either your first degree application or an MA.

Do you think an English Lit degree is a bad choice if I want to go into screenwriting in the future?
Original post by e2014
Do you think an English Lit degree is a bad choice if I want to go into screenwriting in the future?

I dont think so, especially if you are going to a good uni.
You can compare the courses though.

Look up possible paths i.e Eng Lit and what you would study + MA in screenwriting

v BA in screenwriting. + potentially an MA in something related?

See what interests you and what the differences are.

I expect the way in is just talent no matter what course you are on.
Reply 7
Original post by TheAlchemistress
What do you do in film studies if someone can explain the course? I love watching movies, am more of a critic.

Learn about different film theories, study a selection of films and analyse them, either write a screenplay or produce a 3-5 minute film, learn about films from different eras, methods of cinematography etc. I'm really interested in it but don't think it'll be particularly facilitating for my further education route. :frown:
Original post by e2014
Learn about different film theories, study a selection of films and analyse them, either write a screenplay or produce a 3-5 minute film, learn about films from different eras, methods of cinematography etc. I'm really interested in it but don't think it'll be particularly facilitating for my further education route. :frown:

If you are serious about screenwriting, then it would be a bad idea to get a mentor or at least know where screenwriters hang out.

I couldnt see a student membership (email to see if theres anything cheaper) but the writers guild has members forums.
https://writersguild.org.uk/join-renew/candidate-membership/

There was also this screenwriting site and hes flogging a book.

http://dannystack.com/
Original post by e2014

Sounds very interesting, my type of course, but I wouldn't pursue it in the future.
I've completed the full A level and can say that it's a really fun course and dead easy to get a high grade. You get to write your own screenplay at A2 ( although only 2000 words) so that will help you learn the conventions plus let you know how good you are/ if you want to do it in the future. Don't listen to this bs about it being seen as "soft" etc As long as you only have one "soft" subject out of the 3 at A2 unis don't care. Proof, I got 5 offers from Russel group unis. Also I did it with English lit and it complements it really well as it's basically the same but with films. Honestly if you have 2 strong subjects I suggest you take it as it's really fun and an easy high grade!

Edit: having just seen your other subjects I would swap philosophy for film and take it at A2. Complements classics and English lit much better and I've heard that philosophy is quite difficult and can be unpredictable in terms of the grade you achieve. I would definitely go with film as it's to do with something you want to do in future , easy, and won't hinder your application.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest