The Student Room Group

I wish i was graduating or have left uni. I'm JEALOUS and BITTER

Yes title says it all really

I'm having an anxiety attack looking at people graduating on twitter and facebook. I feel so upset and i'm not sure if i myself can continue in university for two more pathetic painful antisocial years.

I started the uni game really late so people my age have already graduated. The age thing is the main factor why i have not had a good uni experiences. Also it's quite hard trying to spend an extended four year course in university with no friends or irreverence because of social anxiety and the fact that i have been hiding since freshers 2015. I've already wasted two years by doing first year 'twice' and averaging a low 2:2 at the end. I'm not sure my heart can continue two more years. It's upsetting to be graduating in your mid 20s and with no friends.

I know it feels like i'm a sociopath, i don't hate people success, i just hate that they are ****ing younger than me :cry2::cry2::cry2:. Does anyone feel like this? or should i seek help? I was meant to graduate next year, not dragging it to ****ing 2019.
Reply 1
What i mean is that i am well into my 20s whilst a 21 year old graduate would excel in a career by the time they are my age whereas i would have wasted my early-mid 20s hiding in an university, living a recluse life people telling me 'i need to relax, you look confused' and avoiding every single lecture abeit passing with low grades.

I just can't cope, what do i need to cope through two more years of university hell?
Original post by Anonymous

I'm having an anxiety attack looking at people graduating on twitter and facebook. I feel so upset and i'm not sure if i myself can continue in university for two more pathetic painful antisocial years.

I started the uni game really late so people my age have already graduated. The age thing is the main factor why i have not had a good uni experiences. Also it's quite hard trying to spend an extended four year course in university with no friends or irreverence because of social anxiety and the fact that i have been hiding since freshers 2015. I've already wasted two years by doing first year 'twice' and averaging a low 2:2 at the end. I'm not sure my heart can continue two more years. It's upsetting to be graduating in your mid 20s and with no friends.

I know it feels like i'm a sociopath, i don't hate people success, i just hate that they are ****ing younger than me :cry2::cry2::cry2:. Does anyone feel like this? or should i seek help? I was meant to graduate next year, not dragging it to ****ing 2019.

Studies show social media has caused effects that you are experiencing right now, I advise you to delete (or disable) your accounts and go ask for some help at your uni. I deleted all social media and I am much happier without it.
Reply 3
It will be your turn soon so there's no need to be jealous. If anything that should push you to work harder and get better marks.

You just need to do your best for the next 2 years, you can also join some societies at your uni to make some friends, maybe that's why you're focusing more on the friends who have graduated.
Reply 4
Original post by John10101
Studies show social media has caused effects that you are experiencing right now, I advise you to delete (or disable) your accounts and go ask for some help at your uni. I deleted all social media and I am much happier without it.

I think this is the best thing i can do.

Social media has partially made me feel upset for the past 7 years on life, i'll admit that
Reply 5
I will be starting my first grad job in 6 week time at the age of 28, which will give me roughly 40 years of potential work in that industry.

I think you might be over thinking this slightly. Being a year or two older than other graduates really isn't an issue.
Reply 6
Don't worry to much about age, everyone progresses at their own pace. I graduated this year with a low 2:2 a year later than all my friends because I delayed going to uni in the first place. I was disappointed with my grade but I've working and had very little social life whilst I've been at university. However, even with a lower honours I've got a place on an additional law conversion starting this September. As long as you walk out with the degree your qualified enough, with experience, to go out and do what you want to do. The world is your oyster, you just have to look in the right places. Besides that, my boyfriend is starting university this year - he's 27 this September. It's never to late to pursue what you want to do. Don't let other people's success get in the way of your own.
I really struggled through my 3 years at uni. If I had the chance to do it again I'd make the most of the counselling and career advice the university have on offer. I neglected all of this and was left feeling very lonely. Please take the opportunity to talk to someone if you are struggling.
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
You just need to do your best for the next 2 years, you can also join some societies at your uni to make some friends

Thank you, unfortunately the anxiety has manifested and me appearing in societies or whatever just won't work for me. I actually have no plan on how to cope on my second of my third year in the uni as if this was really my last year, it would look wack on people thinking like: 'this guy has never had friends, in his whole two years on here'

I mean i went societies in first year but this all didn't go down well, and so for my second year (well first year again) i became a recluse by first by smoking weed or drinking everyday so i have also lost my sense as well. perhaps it's why i can't take my mind of my failings and people succeeding at young age than me :frown:

...Wait how old will you be when you graduate?
Reply 9
Original post by josh_v
I will be starting my first grad job in 6 week time at the age of 28, which will give me roughly 40 years of potential work in that industry.

I think you might be over thinking this slightly. Being a year or two older than other graduates really isn't an issue.

Well it has made me a bit better. I would be 2/3 years younger than you if i graduate (or bother to if i don't drop out). I feel i just don't understand 18-20 year olds in uni, even in my workplace in the summer where's there's even 16 year olds, i just don't understand them and that shows something that i am too old or that i am too wack.

If i had had severe depression when i was 16, i would have graduated before i had chose to decide to go uni

age shouldn't hold you back in life
what is 1 or 2 year difference gonna do? don't be silly lol. I haven't started uni yet and I will be taking a gap year . correct me if im wrong but people come in all ages at uni. you are deffo not the eldest but not the youngest. you would graduate when your 22/23 but that's still young. it's not like your gonna be an old granny by the time you come out of uni. just focus on developing yourself and being happy and getting the best grade possible. your best years are yet to come so make the most out of it xx
Reply 11

Hi, there. I hope that you're okay, sorry to hear about your experiences at University. The first thing I'll say is that it's completely normal to start university a bit late because of gap years, redoing first year of A Levels etc. so there should be a few who have been through what you've been through. In terms of your social anxiety, I can understand the nerves of meeting new people but do try your best to meet others and make friends because otherwise, you'll just end up being quite depressed - friends should be there to support you. Even if you don't happen to make friends just yet, finding someone to talk to about anything you want will definitely help improve your Univerisity experience and your mental health (not saying you have mental health issues but I hope you get what I mean). In terms of getting a 2:2, that can always be improved upon if you work hard but I think the ultimate problem is your social life, you feel like you have no one there for you etc. and that's potentially why it's affecting your academic life. :/

If you want to have further conversations, I'm usually online around the forum, so feel free to tag me and I'll try to respond asap. Also, you can find other TSR Support Team members and those who are responsible for running the "Life and Style" sub-forum, they'll be more than happy to help. All the best. :smile:
I'm Drunk and bitter.

Annoying now to see a former bully graduating and a girl i fancied (who i hate with passion) back back back in year 10. I'm mentally ****ed. I should hae started in 2013 not 2015! I couldn't hold my breath off facebook.

Cal me mad all u like tsr. this is hurting :frown:. all because i fziled my gcses and my incurable diagnosis at the time

Quick Reply

Latest