The Student Room Group

A2 Sociology Quick Question- Crime Paper

Hi, is Merton an example of a subcultural theory or just a strain theory??
Just strain. Cloward and Ohlin and Cohen were subcultural strain.
Reply 2
Original post by exams 17
Hi, is Merton an example of a subcultural theory or just a strain theory??

Merton's theory is an example of how different types of strain forms subcultures, so therefore as long as you referred to the type of subculture in the answer for the 10 marker e.g. conformist, innovator, etc you will achieve the marks.
Reply 3
Yeah I used Cohen and Merton. I talked about conformists, innovators, retreatists, ritualism and rebellion. Thank you so much!
Reply 4
Yeah I used Cohen and Merton. I talked about conformists, innovators, retreatists, ritualism and rebellion. Thank you so much!

you're welcome-how did you find the exam. It was a lot better than i expected
Reply 5
I thought the 3 papers were good! Wbu? I was so worried incase state crime or green crime came up. I was really happy with the 30 marker on crime prevention and control. How did you find it?
Reply 6
I thought the 3 papers were good! Wbu? I was so worried incase state crime or green crime came up. I was really happy with the 30 marker on crime prevention and control. How did you find it?

Found it super easy tbh despite revising on the day for each exam-maybe not the best of ideas but still worked as it's sociolohy haha:smile:. Here's the breakdown of what i reckon i got on each question for each paper

education with theory and methods
q1) 4/4
q2)5/6
q3)8/10
q4)22/30
q3)18/20
q5)3/10-documents question threw me

total=60/80

topics in society

q1)10/10
q2)5/10-didn't have time to finish
q3)18/20
q4)10/10
q5)8/10
q6)12/20-didn't have much time to finish but managed to throw in a conclusion
total=63/80

crime and deviance

q1)4/4
q2)5/6
q3)8/10
q4)24/30
q5)4/10-misread question
q6)15/20
total= 60/80

overall i reckon i've got about 183 out of 240. I was so happy with the 30 marker for crime as well as I could also use crime prevention strategies learnt in A level law such as retributive justice, general detterance, community/custodial sentences etc and link this to theories
Reply 7
That's brilliant! I'm sure you did great! Sorry to be a melt but see for the 20 marker on families I gave Functionalism in depth and touched on the key ideas for Marxism, Feminism and the New Right. Did you give all the theories in depth or just the Functionalists in detail?
Reply 8
That's brilliant! I'm sure you did great! Sorry to be a melt but see for the 20 marker on families I gave Functionalism in depth and touched on the key ideas for Marxism, Feminism and the New Right. Did you give all the theories in depth or just the Functionalists in detail?

You have done this right as its a functionalism question you need to right about functionalism in depth but then the other theories will serve as evaluations. I went that in depth for functionalism that I even explained how the nuclear family replaced the extended family commonly found in the middle ages.
Reply 9
Ok thank you! So we didn't need the other theories in depth? also see the 20 marker for beliefs I talked about the influence of both science and religion and both are still important is that okay?
Reply 10
Ok thank you! So we didn't need the other theories in depth? also see the 20 marker for beliefs I talked about the influence of both science and religion and both are still important is that okay?

Sorry about the late reply. We did not need the other teachers theories in depth. Your answer for the beliefs question sounds correct. I also linked science to the development of medication and contrasted this with spiritual beliefs in healing and how the curriculum focuses on science as a core subject whereas religion isn't compulsory in all schools deadening the impact of religions influence on a more modern society. Hope this helps
Reply 11
You are going to kill me lol but can you just check if I was on the right lines. For the 20 marker for beliefs- I did the influence of science in eradicating diseases, tranforming how we live, learn and communicate etc. I also talked about how science has brought 'manufactured risks' such as global warming, pollution, war, genocide, environmental destruction etc. I started with secularisation- I addressed the influence of science- Weber-rationalisation, Bruce-technological worldview, Berger- Religious diversity. I then said how religion is still important- religion is not declining it is simply changing- Davie-believing without belonging, spiritual health service/vicarious religion, Lyon-postmodern religion, Stark and Bainbridge-religious market theory. I then addressed how science is an open belief system according to Popper- open to scrutiny, criticism and testing by others while religion is closed. I then addressed how both science amd religion are influential in our lives today. Is that correct?? How did you approach it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending