The Student Room Group

Did graduating feel surreal to you?

I recently graduated from Staffordshire Uni this past week, and it was such a blur! Especially when I got up on stage to shake hands with the Dean and Vice Chancellor. One second I was ready to walk, the next I'm sat back down in my chair, applauding the rest of my course mates. Apparently my parents stood up and shouted well done, but I was so overloaded with sensory info that I couldn't hear them 🙈

Now that it's all over, I still can't believe it happened. It feels like a dream or something. Anybody else feeling like this too??

Scroll to see replies

Imo the final half of the year people are working on what to do afterwards and their final exams. I think graduation is more for your parents.
Original post by 999tigger
Imo the final half of the year people are working on what to do afterwards and their final exams. I think graduation is more for your parents.

I'm not gonna lie, I kind of got that feeling too, that it was more for my family than for me. But then I enjoyed myself too, it just went by so quickly and it felt like such a weird thing to experience. I dunno 🙈
Not graduating this year but anyway, I cba to actually go to my graduation - it's more my parents who care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Not graduating this year but anyway, I cba to actually go to my graduation - it's more my parents who care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear that, because I know really enjoyed myself at my graduation, seeing all my coursemates for the last time. Can I ask why you don't want to go?
My favourite bit of graduation was when it ended.
I won't be graduating for another year, but there is part of me that doesn't want to go. I have no friends on my course, not even in my school. All my friends are in other schools, so I would feel odd clapping for people strangers the entire ceremony.
Original post by StaffsUniDrew
I'm sorry to hear that, because I know really enjoyed myself at my graduation, seeing all my coursemates for the last time. Can I ask why you don't want to go?

I study in London and many of my friend will stick around so it won't be last time I see them. It's incredibly overpriced (though I probably won't pay for it), and as I'll (hopefully) be studying a second degree after, it won't really feel like the end. I understand why people go but at this point it would just be to satisfy my parents.
Original post by Moonstruck16
I study in London and many of my friend will stick around so it won't be last time I see them. It's incredibly overpriced (though I probably won't pay for it), and as I'll (hopefully) be studying a second degree after, it won't really feel like the end. I understand why people go but at this point it would just be to satisfy my parents.

Yeah I can understand that. I'm off to do a Masters in September, and will obviously be planning on graduating again at the end of that, so I don't think it quite had the big impact as it did for others who were finished with education. I suppose it's down to you at the end of the day if you want to go. I did go into it thinking that this was for my parents, and then my graduation next year is for me, but then I'm always happy to celebrate. I think I also wanted to go to see friends graduate and make sure they had a special moment too, cheering them on and everything 😊
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
I won't be graduating for another year, but there is part of me that doesn't want to go. I have no friends on my course, not even in my school. All my friends are in other schools, so I would feel odd clapping for people strangers the entire ceremony.

Honestly, most of the people at my ceremony were strangers to me. Granted I had gotten quite close to a few people on my course, but most people were either faces I recognised from the lecture halls, or people on other courses I had never seen before in my life, so I was pretty much clapping for strangers at my ceremony too. But then I didn't mind so much. It was just nice seeing people in the same position as me achieving. I'm sorry to hear that you feel like you don't have any friends on your course or school.
I've had three graduations thus far and all three of them felt very bizarre because I don't remember doing my degrees :erm: So I was graduating from/for something I couldn't remember doing :s-smilie: Didn't help that two of the three ceremonies were in Latin either, haha :tongue:

I'm hoping if I finish my PhD and graduate from it, that I'll remember doing it/have a sense of having done it, so that I can really own the day :smartass:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I've had three graduations thus far and all three of them felt very bizarre because I don't remember doing my degrees :erm: So I was graduating from/for something I couldn't remember doing :s-smilie: Didn't help that two of the three ceremonies were in Latin either, haha :tongue:

I'm hoping if I finish my PhD and graduate from it, that I'll remember doing it/have a sense of having done it, so that I can really own the day :smartass:

3 graduations?! Well congratulations on achieving all those degrees! 😊

See I remember doing my degree, quite vividly for a lot of the stressful parts, but the actual day of my graduation itself was quite the blur. I feel like I might be alone on this, haha. Good luck with the rest of your PhD! What is your thesis on?
Original post by StaffsUniDrew
3 graduations?! Well congratulations on achieving all those degrees! 😊

See I remember doing my degree, quite vividly for a lot of the stressful parts, but the actual day of my graduation itself was quite the blur. I feel like I might be alone on this, haha. Good luck with the rest of your PhD! What is your thesis on?

One of them is a fake degree, haha (Oxford MA) so it's not quite as impressive as it sounds :tongue:

Thanks! My thesis is a study of ABBA fans! :danceboy:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
One of them is a fake degree, haha (Oxford MA) so it's not quite as impressive as it sounds :tongue:

Thanks! My thesis is a study of ABBA fans! :danceboy:

On ABBA fans? That sounds so cool! Love me a bit of disco, haha! Well good luck 😊
Mine was pretty intense last year. Especially as it was the day after Brexit and we got a Dumbledore-esque speech about being stronger united and cheesey stuff like that. We also have a pretty unusual ceremony at St Andrews where you have to kneel and get bopped on the head :P

I think I almost cried. For the first time I was actually really proud of going to my uni, not that it wasn't awesome I'm just not a very sentimental person. My parents were really happy as well. The family pride from the audience was pretty palpable!

I think when a big group of people come together with a single emotion it's quite overwhelming. I felt similarly at the first wedding I went to. I'm looking forward to my second graduation, mostly because I get to wear a velvet bonnet which is the real reason I applied for a PhD :biggrin:
My undergraduate graduation was surreal. Mainly because it was exactly 1 month and 9 days before my mum died of terminal cancer. So a couple of days before graduation, the hospice nurse and my mum asked which I would prefer: for my mum to start an aggressive chemotherapy and likely be unable to attend my graduation, or to attend my graduation (knowing she would miss on out all future events of my life) but delay the chemotherapy for a few days. I obviously chose the first option, to start chemotherapy immediately.

In the end, we went up to my uni city in the morning on graduation day. Changed into robes, took graduation photos and had a meal out in the city. And then, when the other students went in to begin the ceremony, I handed my robes back and we went home. I have social anxiety anyway, wouldn't have enjoyed the ceremony and didn't speak to anyone at all on my course. But I was just worried that my mum would be unwell sitting through it for hours. She would have done it. But I didn't want to. She slept all afternoon and evening so I made the right choice. And I went sparring instead.

So yes. Graduating was surreal.

Masters graduation...was a year later than majority (lol there were about 9 of us altogether) on my course, but nicely ended up with one of my closest coursemates still anyway, as he broke his shoulder and graduated a year late too. I had anorexia and was IP for 5 months of my MSc, so late graduation, but the proudest moment of my life, having got through admission, gone back and completed my course, made progress with the social anxiety and walked across the stage in front of everyone (I started my MSc being terrified of going into the room our seminars were in). So surreal in a much nicer way!

My uni experiences were...not the typical uni life. :s-smilie:
I'm reading your guys' stories about graduation and it's quite motivating :biggrin: I've still got until 2019 so bit of time to go...
Original post by monkyvirus
Mine was pretty intense last year. Especially as it was the day after Brexit and we got a Dumbledore-esque speech about being stronger united and cheesey stuff like that. We also have a pretty unusual ceremony at St Andrews where you have to kneel and get bopped on the head :P

I think I almost cried. For the first time I was actually really proud of going to my uni, not that it wasn't awesome I'm just not a very sentimental person. My parents were really happy as well. The family pride from the audience was pretty palpable!

I think when a big group of people come together with a single emotion it's quite overwhelming. I felt similarly at the first wedding I went to. I'm looking forward to my second graduation, mostly because I get to wear a velvet bonnet which is the real reason I applied for a PhD :biggrin:

Yeah our Vice Chancellor gave us one of those 'better together' kind of speeches at my ceremony, and honestly it was kinda inspiring 🙈 Yeah I think emotions were running high for everyone, and there was definitely this atmosphere of pride and excitement at my graduation. Also, I am totally with you there with the PhD grad wear. Literally was saying to my friend on the day that I was jealous of their poofy hats, haha
Original post by Liv1204
My undergraduate graduation was surreal. Mainly because it was exactly 1 month and 9 days before my mum died of terminal cancer. So a couple of days before graduation, the hospice nurse and my mum asked which I would prefer: for my mum to start an aggressive chemotherapy and likely be unable to attend my graduation, or to attend my graduation (knowing she would miss on out all future events of my life) but delay the chemotherapy for a few days. I obviously chose the first option, to start chemotherapy immediately.

In the end, we went up to my uni city in the morning on graduation day. Changed into robes, took graduation photos and had a meal out in the city. And then, when the other students went in to begin the ceremony, I handed my robes back and we went home. I have social anxiety anyway, wouldn't have enjoyed the ceremony and didn't speak to anyone at all on my course. But I was just worried that my mum would be unwell sitting through it for hours. She would have done it. But I didn't want to. She slept all afternoon and evening so I made the right choice. And I went sparring instead.

So yes. Graduating was surreal.

Masters graduation...was a year later than majority (lol there were about 9 of us altogether) on my course, but nicely ended up with one of my closest coursemates still anyway, as he broke his shoulder and graduated a year late too. I had anorexia and was IP for 5 months of my MSc, so late graduation, but the proudest moment of my life, having got through admission, gone back and completed my course, made progress with the social anxiety and walked across the stage in front of everyone (I started my MSc being terrified of going into the room our seminars were in). So surreal in a much nicer way!

My uni experiences were...not the typical uni life. :s-smilie:

I'm sorry to hear about your mum, and I can only imagine how difficult it was for you. I imagine she was very proud of you though, and happy to see you having made it to graduation, even if you didn't stay for the entire thing.

In any case, I don't really know you but I am so happy that you have overcome the struggles you have faced in life, to reach your goals and achieve your two degrees! Like you said, not the 'typical' uni experience, but you still did it. I've had problems with my depression and anxiety, and while I have a better management of them now, it did make things at uni a little difficult at times. I am definitely of the mindset though that you shouldn't let things like that hold you back, and clearly it didn't for either of us 😊
Original post by CTLevers
I'm reading your guys' stories about graduation and it's quite motivating :biggrin: I've still got until 2019 so bit of time to go...

You'll get there eventually, don't you worry! In fact, come the start of your final year, you will blink and an entire year would have gone by. Trust me when I say don't wish away your time because it goes quicker than you think! 😄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending