The Student Room Group

Volunteer and get qualifications?

Hi guys, I am looking ahead for next summer things I could do to boost my CV, and I was wondering are there any organisations that allow me to volunteer (here or abroad) and also learn and get qualifications? Thank you in advance for any help or guidance
Original post by .Kekistan
Hi guys, I am looking ahead for next summer things I could do to boost my CV, and I was wondering are there any organisations that allow me to volunteer (here or abroad) and also learn and get qualifications? Thank you in advance for any help or guidance

What qualifications? Some voluntary work will include informal training. Gibe me a better idea what you are looking for or what you think you can get?
Original post by 999tigger
What qualifications? Some voluntary work will include informal training. Gibe me a better idea what you are looking for or what you think you can get?

I've heard of CoPE, Certificate of Personal Effectiveness, before, which if I understand correctly, shows that you you can work with others and can face challenges which I imagine would be present if one was to do a large volunteer project. I've also heard of specific projects having qualifications that go with it, for example I've heard of how if you teach English abroad you may get some qualification or recognition that you taught English as a second language abroad (searching online I think its called TEFL?). I was interested in environmental conservation projects so are there any courses that allow me to protect the environment and help out and learn at the same time? Cheers for the help
I've heard of CoPE, Certificate of Personal Effectiveness, before, which if I understand correctly, shows that you you can work with others and can face challenges which I imagine would be present if one was to do a large volunteer project. I've also heard of specific projects having qualifications that go with it, for example I've heard of how if you teach English abroad you may get some qualification or recognition that you taught English as a second language abroad (searching online I think its called TEFL?). I was interested in environmental conservation projects so are there any courses that allow me to protect the environment and help out and learn at the same time? Cheers for the help

1. Imo be cautious about qualifications and who is awarding them. Any organisation can award a qualification but only an officially recognised awarding body will give qualifications recognised by other people. It should be on the Regulated quantification framework RQF.

2. TEFL courses cost money an are acquired before you go off to teach English. its a recognised qualification but it normally paid for by you. It will help you get work abroad.

3. You will need to check whether there are environmental projects. I expect so.
The charity I would say is recognised and good on your V with no need for a qualification is VSO.
https://www.vsointernational.org/volunteering

Volunteer with your local rainbow/brownie/guides group. You can do several qualifications through them.
I think it may be similar with scouts as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending