The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmeliaLost
Awesome!

Not seriously, I'll probably get a little cafe job or something similar just to keep my toe in the "employed" bracket though! I'm in a bit of a luxurious position where I've saved up for the past couple of years whilst deciding whether it was really something I wanted to do, so I have a bit of a nest egg and no dependents :lol: How about you? Studying abroad would be very cool! I thought most unis offered that now; maybe it's different for your course though?

I'm switching to weekends only at work so will get more time to focus on assignments. Yes, most unis do offer study abroad years but Solent looks like the best one for me, in my opinion. How old will you be when you start your access if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by siobhancait
I'm switching to weekends only at work so will get more time to focus on assignments. Yes, most unis do offer study abroad years but Solent looks like the best one for me, in my opinion. How old will you be when you start your access if you don't mind me asking?

Ah, that's good that you have that option. My office isn't open weekends, and I can't sensibly drop my hours back and still get stuff done sooo.... :redface: I turn 26 tomorrow! My original plan was to do A-levels (that fell through; out of my control), so I would have been doing them a full decade late :tongue: You?
Ah, that's good that you have that option. My office isn't open weekends, and I can't sensibly drop my hours back and still get stuff done sooo.... :redface: I turn 26 tomorrow! My original plan was to do A-levels (that fell through; out of my control), so I would have been doing them a full decade late :tongue: You?

Ahhh, I'm 23 a week today! I originally left college with a TA qualification, did 2 terms on a temporary contract and hated it, not a nice experience. I then fell into healthcare work and have been there for over 2 years. I'm also retaking my GCSE maths :frown: I just missed my C grade....I hate hate hate maths....
Ahhh, I'm 23 a week today! I originally left college with a TA qualification, did 2 terms on a temporary contract and hated it, not a nice experience. I then fell into healthcare work and have been there for over 2 years. I'm also retaking my GCSE maths :frown: I just missed my C grade....I hate hate hate maths....

Yaay birthday month!

Ah, that sucks :frown: I worked in theatre as a spark/lighting tech/designer for a decade (from before I left school) which I loved, but then had some health issues and got so fed up with being overworked and underpaid that went off and found work as a junior accountant . My soul is bored of being crushed by that now though, so now it's time to go off and do the studies. My life is basically an extended non sequitur..!

Thankfully my GCSEs are mostly B's, despite not having worked in the slightest at school :lol: though I just retook my English language as I got a D first time round??? Despite getting a B in literature??? So, currently waiting anxiously for results to come out next month. I'm alright at maths, actually quite enjoy it now (doing it as a module for my access course too!), so give me a shout if you need any help etc :biggrin:
Original post by Abz7
I found that a few years ago and had little support. Decided to go to uni this time. X

It's not for everyone and if you can go to an actual collage I would fully recommend that. But for people who dont really have a choice it's a good alternative, you just need to keep focused on the end goal
Hi all. I've just registered for an access course in social care and social studies.

It was a late decision to apply for September and I'm kicking myself because all the tutors have already broken up for the summer!I rang the college today and they said I won't hear anything back until mid to end August (course starts on 4th September).

I think I can be confident that I'll have a place because I know I satisfy the entry requirements of C and above in Maths and English (I have B in maths, C's in English and also a BTEC in childhood studies) but it's going to be hard all summer not knowing if I've definitely got a place.

I'm looking forward to getting back to study, although nervous! It's been 19 years since I left college. I'm 39 now and have 3 children (14, 10 and almost 5). I've been a full time mum for the last 12 years!
Name: Lauren
Pathway: Medical Health Professions
Goal: Study Diagnostic Radiography

I went along to an open day at Salford Uni last month and absolutely loved it. I'm 30 and have been out of education for nearly 13 years so I'm pretty nervous to become a student as of September.
I'm also desperately trying to find some part time work as I certainly can't afford to give up working completely, but feeling somewhat in limbo at the moment as I don't have the course timetable yet so don't know which days I'll be free.

Wishing everyone on this thread the best of luck with their Access Course!
7 weeks to go until term starts! Not like I'm excited or anything :redface:

Is anyone else doing any pre-reading beforehand? I'm reading some GCSE/A-level textbooks on my subjects at the moment, just so I have some vague idea of what's going on in September... :lol:
I got an email with an unconditional offer for my access course so I officially start in September! I'm very excited now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
7 weeks to go until term starts! Not like I'm excited or anything :redface:

Is anyone else doing any pre-reading beforehand? I'm reading some GCSE/A-level textbooks on my subjects at the moment, just so I have some vague idea of what's going on in September... :lol:

I think I'm going to nip to the library and see what I can get. It's been such a long time since I studied I feel like I need to wake my brain up a bit!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by LaurenLews
Name: Lauren
Pathway: Medical Health Professions
Goal: Study Diagnostic Radiography

I went along to an open day at Salford Uni last month and absolutely loved it. I'm 30 and have been out of education for nearly 13 years so I'm pretty nervous to become a student as of September.
I'm also desperately trying to find some part time work as I certainly can't afford to give up working completely, but feeling somewhat in limbo at the moment as I don't have the course timetable yet so don't know which days I'll be free.

Wishing everyone on this thread the best of luck with their Access Course!

I'm sure it will depend on the college, but during an induction morning last week I was given a draft timetable. Maybe you could call yours and see if they've started planning it yet? Obviously outside of term time it might be difficult getting hold of the tutors for your course, but could be worth a try.

I definitely need to refresh my maths and chemistry knowledge. I'm also 13 years past my A-levels, so should be helpful to break myself back into things!
(edited 6 years ago)
I've sent them an email asking if they're able to send me a copy of the timetable but I'm guessing my timings a bit off with all the tutors on summer break.

I plan on working through some of the GCSE and A Level revision on BBC bitesize which will hopefully make returning to education a slight less shock to the system.
What supplies are you all getting? How many folders ect? :smile: X
What supplies are you all getting? How many folders ect? :smile: X

Yes I looveee stationary chats :biggrin: I've bought my portfolio folders we've been told we need to present our assignments in. Have a couple of these A5 dotted notebooks for class notes, and have a biiig A4 file for loose sheets. Already have more fountain pens/fine liners/highlighters/gel pens than I know what to do with too...
I've applied for a teaching course in September,I'm only 18 😬Yet I turn 19 the following January,I was told by an advisor that it could be an exception that I could slip in???its my biggest reliance 😭
I'm still waiting to hear an actual confirmation that I'm on the course, but the college have contacted me a few times about arrangements for September so I'm going to assume that's a good sign? Aha!

My job is letting me do 2 days a week so I have time to study but it ends in November, which is a shame, so I'll have to look for something else soon.

Wishing you all the best of luck!
Original post by EveeyBean
I'm still waiting to hear an actual confirmation that I'm on the course, but the college have contacted me a few times about arrangements for September so I'm going to assume that's a good sign? Aha!

My job is letting me do 2 days a week so I have time to study but it ends in November, which is a shame, so I'll have to look for something else soon.

Wishing you all the best of luck!

I hope you get proper confirmation soon! I applied late and was told it might be mid August by the time I hear because the tutors had already finished for summer but I actually got an unconditional offer to start the course a few days later.

I went to enrol yesterday but forgot my tax credit letter (I needed it for my bursary) so need to pop back another day. Really frustrated because I just want to get everything sorted!
Reply 37
Name: Sarah
Access Pathway:Social Science with LearnDirect
Hoping to study: Psychology
Original post by caercia
Name: Sarah
Access Pathway:Social Science with LearnDirect
Hoping to study: Psychology

Are learn direct any good?
What are you currently studying: Access to Social Sciences

What subject(s) are you applying for: Social Work

Which universities are you applying to: Plymouth, Southampton Solent and UWE I think....

Any other info you feel like sharing: 23yo feel like it's the right time for me to carve out a career!

Do you have a list of modules yet? I have finished that course. Very interesting but there was a lot on it

Latest

Trending

Trending