The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Its very nice dw
I have never drank at formals and ive had fun dont worry

A couple of my daughter's friends didn't drink because of their religion and they were kings of pennying.
How many times they got pennied, they just down water and keep on going without getting drunk. Just frequent visits to toilet was all they needed. :tongue:
Reply 3821
Original post by vincrows
Maybe you can start a new tradition when you get there.......like passing around a rental tv box filled with wine to pay respect to the founder. :biggrin:

Hahhhaaa. Nice one :smile:

(Filled with Special Brew I'd have thought...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Hahhhaaa. Nice one :smile:

(Filled with Special Brew I'd have thought...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why Special Brew?
Reply 3823
Why Special Brew?

Back when TV renting was a thing those homes wouldn't drink much wine. Beer, yes. And Special Brew could be seen as the port version of standard beer :wink:
Back when TV renting was a thing those homes wouldn't drink much wine. Beer, yes. And Special Brew could be seen as the port version of standard beer :wink:

Ah, I see.......
Those days when Blue Nun was considered drinkable......
Honestly, not until the day. I mean sure, important things like visas, or what to do if you miss the offer, or whatever. But not what happens in Freshers, etc.

Us unconditionalers have been in results day party mode for months already. :party2:
But in all seriousness, I am a bit worried after having a health setback a couple of days ago. I had a 4 hour period where I couldn't walk unaided and couldn't sit without serious spinning and falling sensations. I had hoped my vertigo was on the way out, but it looks like I'm going to have to make plans re. how to cope at Cambridge when it happens (hoping it doesn't occur often enough to stop me from going altogether). It's a good reminder that university isn't the most important thing in the world, though - I would rather be one of my friends who didn't get their number 1 university offer but graduated years ago.
Original post by zippidee
Us unconditionalers have been in results day party mode for months already. :party2:
But in all seriousness, I am a bit worried after having a health setback a couple of days ago. I had a 4 hour period where I couldn't walk unaided and couldn't sit without serious spinning and falling sensations. I had hoped my vertigo was on the way out, but it looks like I'm going to have to make plans re. how to cope at Cambridge when it happens (hoping it doesn't occur often enough to stop me from going altogether). It's a good reminder that university isn't the most important thing in the world, though - I would rather be one of my friends who didn't get their number 1 university offer but graduated years ago.

Sorry to hear your problem. I've had a same problem a couple of times myself, so can understand how terrible (and terrifying) it feels. Do you (and your doctor) know the cause of virtigo?
Hope it'll get better soon but If your problem persists, I'm sure you know that you can ask your college for deferred entry?
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry to hear your problem. I've had a same problem a couple of times myself, so can understand how terrible (and terrifying) it feels. Do you (and your doctor) know the cause of virtigo?
Hope it'll get better soon but If your problem persists, I'm sure you know that you can ask your college for deferred entry?

I've had it to varying degrees for 9 years now and have been told that it's migraine associated vertigo (basically I get migraines but instead of pain I get the vertigo). It fits with my family's history of migraines, and other symptoms I get. I'm seeing my GP on Friday so I'm going to ask if there's any new medication I can try.

I do know of the possibility of deferred entry, but I'm hoping I can try to cope with it because I think it's going to be an ongoing thing and I just have to learn how to live with it. It's nice to hear from somebody who knows what it feels like - it can be difficult to explain how terrifying it is to experience.
I've had it to varying degrees for 9 years now and have been told that it's migraine associated vertigo (basically I get migraines but instead of pain I get the vertigo). It fits with my family's history of migraines, and other symptoms I get. I'm seeing my GP on Friday so I'm going to ask if there's any new medication I can try.

I do know of the possibility of deferred entry, but I'm hoping I can try to cope with it because I think it's going to be an ongoing thing and I just have to learn how to live with it. It's nice to hear from somebody who knows what it feels like - it can be difficult to explain how terrifying it is to experience.

Oh I see...... So no point in waiting to see if it improves then. Really sorry you have to live with the condition. It's like being at the bottom of a boat on extremely rough see on a stormy day, isn't it? At least that's how I felt like. Was really terrifying experience especially the first time when it happened because I had no idea what's happening......

Do you feel a some kind of sign/warning when it's coming? I just hope it won't happen too suddenly when you're cycling on a busy road. That's my only worry.
Otherwise I think best (and very important) thing to do is sharing the info of your symptoms with people around you (your DoS/Tutor/college nurse and friends) when you start there, so that they can assist you when you need help. As long as you let them know in advance, both the university and colleges are quite good at dealing with it and taking care of you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3829
Original post by physicsmaths
Its very nice dw
I have never drank at formals and ive had fun dont worry

I cant access course notes it says that it is restricted. How do you get your notes? Is it just from the textbooks. I looked at a few example sheets but they dont have any notes
Oh I see...... So no point in waiting to see if it improves then. Really sorry you have to live with the condition. It's like being at the bottom of a boat on extremely rough see on a stormy day, isn't it? At least that's how I felt like. Was really terrifying experience especially the first time when it happened because I had no idea what's happening......

Do you feel a some kind of sign/warning when it's coming? I just hope it won't happen too suddenly when you're cycling on a busy road. That's my only worry.
Otherwise I think best (and very important) thing to do is sharing the info of your symptoms with people around you (your DoS/Tutor/college nurse and friends) when you start there, so that they can assist you when you need help. As long as you let them know in advance, both the university and colleges are quite good at dealing with it and taking care of you.

That's exactly it. It's unsettling to feel like the world is moving uncontrollably when you're not moving at all.

I usually feel off-balance in the build up to a big attack - this past week or two I had small feelings of dizziness/very mild vertigo, but there's not always warning immediately before the big event. That's what makes it so difficult - if I'm feeling off-balance in general I tend to prepare myself by staying at home, which is obviously not great if you have lectures to get to. I've been in touch with the disability office at Cambridge and they're going to send a support document onto the relevant people in college and beyond.

But don't worry, I won't be cycling. I wouldn't trust my balance at all, which is why it's handy being just a couple of streets away from my lectures. I should also have a taxi allowance for when I'm feeling really bad and/or have to travel to other colleges for supervisions etc. It's just the ongoing anxiety around the whole thing that's a bit of an issue for me. I'm much better at coping now than I was but a bad episode like the other night just throws me off.
That's exactly it. It's unsettling to feel like the world is moving uncontrollably when you're not moving at all.

I usually feel off-balance in the build up to a big attack - this past week or two I had small feelings of dizziness/very mild vertigo, but there's not always warning immediately before the big event. That's what makes it so difficult - if I'm feeling off-balance in general I tend to prepare myself by staying at home, which is obviously not great if you have lectures to get to. I've been in touch with the disability office at Cambridge and they're going to send a support document onto the relevant people in college and beyond.

But don't worry, I won't be cycling. I wouldn't trust my balance at all, which is why it's handy being just a couple of streets away from my lectures. I should also have a taxi allowance for when I'm feeling really bad and/or have to travel to other colleges for supervisions etc. It's just the ongoing anxiety around the whole thing that's a bit of an issue for me. I'm much better at coping now than I was but a bad episode like the other night just throws me off.

Oh good, so you've already done what's necessary. :smile: Really nice you got a taxi allowance. They're quite good at giving necessary support like that.
Well, I personally know a few people who had various health issues (both physically and mentally) while studying there, some of them even went through some episodes of hospitalization, etc. but they all somehow managed one way or another and graduated successfully. (One of them had intermittent, twice, but went back to graduate and another still there doing PhD)
So don't worry too much about it. You won't be the only one who arrives there with an extra baggage, and the people at the university/colleges are very understanding and supportive because they do have quite a lot of experiences. :wink:

I know it's too early to say this but good luck with your new life there.
Oh good, so you've already done what's necessary. :smile: Really nice you got a taxi allowance. They're quite good at giving necessary support like that.
Well, I personally know a few people who had various health issues (both physically and mentally) while studying there, some of them even went through some episodes of hospitalization, etc. but they all somehow managed one way or another and graduated successfully. (One of them had intermittent, twice, but went back to graduate and another still there doing PhD)
So don't worry too much about it. You won't be the only one who arrives there with an extra baggage, and the people at the university/colleges are very understanding and supportive because they do have quite a lot of experiences. :wink:

I know it's too early to say this but good luck with your new life there.

That's reassuring (and motivating), so thank you for sharing! I feel strange asking for help, but when I last went to Cambridge I ended up leaving my course because I didn't fully understand my condition at the time (I'd had it less than a year), I didn't know that I could ask the disability centre for help, and I basically thought that if I couldn't cope by myself my only option was to leave. I think if you admit to needing help then Cambridge is one of the best places to be because of the college setup - even during the few days I stayed for my interview I felt really supported and welcomed.

Thank you. :smile: I'm really excited about moving down and my course.
Reply 3833
That's reassuring (and motivating), so thank you for sharing! I feel strange asking for help, but when I last went to Cambridge I ended up leaving my course because I didn't fully understand my condition at the time (I'd had it less than a year), I didn't know that I could ask the disability centre for help, and I basically thought that if I couldn't cope by myself my only option was to leave. I think if you admit to needing help then Cambridge is one of the best places to be because of the college setup - even during the few days I stayed for my interview I felt really supported and welcomed.

Thank you. :smile: I'm really excited about moving down and my course.

Wait! What? You're a returning student? That's v impressive... did you do a different course first time around?
It has been a long year...
https://snag.gy/x1gmbq.jpg

Finally no more worrying!:biggrin:
Original post by Orange128
It has been a long year...
https://snag.gy/x1gmbq.jpg

Finally no more worrying!:biggrin:

Well done! What course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Well done! What course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Natural Sciences
Original post by Orange128
Natural Sciences

I'm very jealous that you know already :biggrin:. But seriously well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
I'm very jealous that you know already :biggrin:. But seriously well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, I'm sure you aced that offer :wink:
Original post by 11234
I cant access course notes it says that it is restricted. How do you get your notes? Is it just from the textbooks. I looked at a few example sheets but they dont have any notes

https://dec41.user.srcf.net
Save all of them now, they get taken down in term(that terms notes) since the facaulty had a fit about these notes cause they are exactly the lecture notes and people stopped going lol.
Use these, Groups and VC will be lectured by our dos's(assuming u come homerton) so ur very very lucky u will get supervised by the lecturers and our dos's are extremely good.
Paper 3 was our weakest paper for everyone in our college it will probably be ur strongest now haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending