The Student Room Group

Funding for placement Year

Hi I am doing a placement year with a company and the company is in London, I wondered if I would get the London loan or not? (My uni is not a london one)
Hi LPauling,

To answer your query I just need to check a few things with you.

I assume you are in the third year of a four year course and do you live in the parental home and is your placement paid or unpaid? How long is your placement, is it full year or will you be at university for 10 weeks or more, or less than 10 weeks?

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Laura S SFE
Hi LPauling,

To answer your query I just need to check a few things with you.

I assume you are in the third year of a four year course and do you live in the parental home and is your placement paid or unpaid? How long is your placement, is it full year or will you be at university for 10 weeks or more, or less than 10 weeks?

Thanks

I would not be living at home
Unpaid
12 months
I would not be at uni for more than 10 weeks
Hi LPauling,

Also forgot to ask you, when did you start this course of study, was it the 2015/16 academic year?

Thanks
Reply 4
Hi LPauling,

Also forgot to ask you, when did you start this course of study, was it the 2015/16 academic year?

Thanks

Yes the course started 15/16 and the placement year in 4th year 18/19, thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi LPauling,

Thanks

Original post by LPauling
Yes the course started 15/16 and the placement year in 4th year 18/19, thank you

Is that all you need?
Hi LPauling,

Thank you for answering all my questions. You would qualify for London rate if your placement is at a site or sites wholly or partly within the area comprising the City of London and the former Metropolitan Police District.

In answering your query I have made the following assumptions based on the information you have given as you would be classed as a Type A placement.

1) The 2018/19 academic year is not the final year of your course;
2) Your placement is not in a hospital, health or Local Authority, prison or probation sector.

Now since you indicated it's going to be the 2018/19 academic year, the policy hasn't been confirmed for that year yet but the funding should be similar to 2017/18 academic year but would be a little bit more. So you would be entitled to at least £3585 for your Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan at the London rate.

We would need

Thanks
Reply 7
Hi LPauling,

Thank you for answering all my questions. You would qualify for London rate if your placement is at a site or sites wholly or partly within the area comprising the City of London and the former Metropolitan Police District.

In answering your query I have made the following assumptions based on the information you have given as you would be classed as a Type A placement.

2) Your placement is not in a hospital, health or Local Authority, prison or probation sector.

Now since you indicated it's going to be the 2018/19 academic year, the policy hasn't been confirmed for that year yet but the funding should be similar to 2017/18 academic year but would be a little bit more. So you would be entitled to at least £3585 for your Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan at the London rate.

We would need

Thanks

18/19 is the final year of my course and the placement is with a private company that works out of UCL labs
(I study Chemistry)
Reply 8
Hi LPauling,

We would need

Thanks

18/19 is the final year of my course and the placement is with a private company that works out of UCL labs
(I study Chemistry)

Does this affect it
Does this affect it

Hi LPauling,

If your placement is in the final year the only difference would be in your maintenance loan entitlement as we only fund up to the final date of your course. As stated before we do not have the figures for the 18/19 academic year yet. This years amount is £2473.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest