The Student Room Group

Question about depression

If 2 people had depression, would their relationship work out?
Is it healthy for them mentally?
Or is there a lack of positive influence to better themselves?
I could see that spiralling downward very easily, each person validating the other's inaction.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If 2 people had depression, would their relationship work out?
Is it healthy for them mentally?
Or is there a lack of positive influence to better themselves?

I really don't think it would ever work long term.
depends, depression is a broad category

someone with mild depression who can still put their own **** to the side when the other person needs them and communcates well etc is probably going to function fine, even with someone else with depression

someone with severe depression or just someone who can't escape their own mind/has very low functioning probably can't have a healthy relationship at all, let alone with another depressed person

I think one of each of those types is terrible too as the second would be constantly dragging down the first, which is hard enough for a healthy person to deal with but someone who is only just hanging on themselves it will be too much
Reply 4
Hello, I am currently dealing with depression myself and have been for over a year. I have been on several types of medication and have been in therapy for several months.

It is important to understand that everyone is affected by depression differently. How it affects you, it may not affect your partner (or the relationship in question)

A part of me feels that, if two people in a relationship suffer from the same condition there is an understanding between the two which can be used in a positive way.

They will know how they themselves want to be supported and thus use this as inspiration to support the other. The two can encourage each other and simply be strong for the other.

However, the difficulty in this is that, if one is progressing while the other is not, what will happen is that one becomes the support while the other, the supported.

He or she will be supporting the other, despite the fact that they too are unwell, which could become very overwhelming and lead to the other becoming more unwell. (It is a possibility, not a fact)

I personally cannot have a relationship at present until I have overcome my personal issues.
Although the two people may be able to understand each other a bit better, realistically I don't think the relationship will work out as one's mood could easily affect the others negatively etc
mental illness doesn't exist.
Reply 7
Original post by susanneblonde
mental illness doesn't exist.

Oh look who's talking :rolleyes:
Well the Quran says it does. Why not follow that, and shut it?
Depression = The most used excuse around the world. MAN the fk up or WOMAN the fk up. I really believe a normal person should go through it and once they do they'd simply have to beat it. If you don't then just like qualifications, you shouldn't be allowed in certain areas of work. You can't control yourself...you put a disgusting mood onto everyone else..
During something like World War II, the lazy af and weak af people would use such excuses, had we given into these people whose to say we would have performed the way we did?!
Original post by Dragon5555
During something like World War II, the lazy af and weak af people would use such excuses, had we given into these people whose to say we would have performed the way we did?!

Says a faux intellectual...
Says a faux intellectual...

Call it what you like...I know more than you and it is as simple as that.
Call it what you like...I know more than you and it is as simple as that.

haha..you never will. You think **** in your brain, and push it as fact. You sucked cock to get your degree, admit it.
haha..you never will. You think **** in your brain, and push it as fact. You sucked cock to get your degree, admit it.

Heterosexual. Have not studied at degree level. SMH the amount of assumptions you make haha.
Heterosexual. Have not studied at degree level. SMH the amount of assumptions you make haha.

Well I have, and thus I critically analyse my knowledge. You don't, you provide telling insights into how the world is. Most faith and flag people are of that mentality/personality.
Well I have, and thus I critically analyse my knowledge. You don't, you provide telling insights into how the world is. Most faith and flag people are of that mentality/personality.

You don't analyse...you assume. You don't question but instead you assume. Just like you assumed that pakistan practices the sharia law or how you made the assumption that most people have a certain personality. Question the people and things around you but don't assume. Why not instead look into things? Learn about people who you speak about or don't speak about them?

I don't think Pakistan practice Sharia law.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4840636&p=72808870#post72808870

I might have been rude but I don't mean to be rude maybe just an issue of mine.

Quick Reply

Latest