The Student Room Group

Advice for starting A-levels?

Literally every A-level student I know has told me how difficult they are in comparison to GCSEs and I'm extremely worried! Any advice?

For the record, I'm taking History Psychology Law and Politics :smile:
Original post by m-k1
Literally every A-level student I know has told me how difficult they are in comparison to GCSEs and I'm extremely worried! Any advice?

Biggest tip I can give you- be organised. Print out specifications, attempt all past papers (several times) and do work as the year progresses.
Original post by m-k1

Read and watch Youtube videos on the subjects.

I don't know much about history, law and politics but I'd have a good look at Jordan Petersons YouTube channel for some psychology material:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL_f53ZEJxp8TtlOkHwMV9Q
Original post by m-k1

Thanks to be honest just put the work in consistently and you will learn how to be a good student from your mistakes etc..

My best piece of advice is to visit a really good university Open day in september or attend an event at uni later in the year. I say this ,because it will really motivate you to work hard and will set up your ambitions from the start.

Also feel free to pm me for any advice on History, and Poltics. I am on the previous spec for Old Spec but I should be able to help a bit
Reply 4
Original post by games211
Biggest tip I can give you- be organised. Print out specifications, attempt all past papers (several times) and do work as the year progresses.

Thanks, I will try! :smile: How many hours a day do you tend to revise?
Reply 5
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Read and watch Youtube videos on the subjects.

I don't know much about history, law and politics but I'd have a good look at Jordan Petersons YouTube channel for some psychology material:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL_f53ZEJxp8TtlOkHwMV9Q

Definitely will do! How are you/did you find psychology?
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
Thanks to be honest just put the work in consistently and you will learn how to be a good student from your mistakes etc..

My best piece of advice is to visit a really good university Open day in september or attend an event at uni later in the year. I say this ,because it will really motivate you to work hard and will set up your ambitions from the start.

Also feel free to pm me for any advice on History, and Poltics. I am on the previous spec for Old Spec but I should be able to help a bit

This may seem like a really stupid question but do you attend university open days during your first year of sixth form?
Reply 7
Original post by m-k1

I did History, Psychology and Politics this year for my A-Levels
It's a lot of work. All three are very content heavy and take the time to make sure you understand key terms/studies/dates
Past papers and specimen papers are possibly one of the best ways to revise
Original post by m-k1
Thanks, I will try! :smile: How many hours a day do you tend to revise?

personally, I would try to aim for 1.5hrs to complete any remaining classwork/homework and slowly increase the hours soon after Christmas holidays. remember to study smart and UTILISE your teachers more!!
Original post by m-k1
This may seem like a really stupid question but do you attend university open days during your first year of sixth form?

Most in year 12 attend the open days in June/July ish (so end of year 12). :smile: Visiting places like Oxford has really motivated me for A2.
Original post by m-k1
Definitely will do! How are you/did you find psychology?

I didn't study psychology I've come off the back of a computing access course and I'm starting a computer science degree in September.

It's just something I find fascinating plus I find his perspective on human perception and the way our mind categorises things particularly eye opening. I'm hoping it will prove of some use when I get to machine learning modules on my course.

Quick Reply

Latest