The Student Room Group

Work Experience

Hi I'm a mature student studying animal management at college and will be going in to my second year in September. I went to a vets yesterday to discuss the prospect of doing work experience with them for when I go back.

They asked lots of questions which was fine but then they also asked for a reference from the place I had previously done work experience. Is it normal for places to ask for references when you are only applying for work experience or are they just being overly picky?
Original post by gillian1986
Hi I'm a mature student studying animal management at college and will be going in to my second year in September. I went to a vets yesterday to discuss the prospect of doing work experience with them for when I go back.

They asked lots of questions which was fine but then they also asked for a reference from the place I had previously done work experience. Is it normal for places to ask for references when you are only applying for work experience or are they just being overly picky?

Cant see the issue. They can ask for what they like. They could easily ask for one from school/ college, although not appropriate for you.

You need to grab such work experience with both hands as it can be very difficult to get. You can also provide a personal// character reference, especially if you know that will be a good one.

The work experience reference may just indicate the bare facts and they arent allowed to say anything that isnt true.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Cant see the issue. They can ask for what they like. They could easily ask for one from school/ college, although not appropriate for you.

You need to grab such work experience with both hands as it can be very difficult to get. You can also provide a personal// character reference, especially if you know that will be a good one.

The work experience reference may just indicate the bare facts and they arent allowed to say anything that isnt true.

Thanks for getting back to me, I gave the rescue centre where I volunteered at for 6 months one day a week as a reference and I'm confident they will give me a good one.

I'm holding out hope this particular vets will give me a place as they have take on other students from my college and they are convenient as it's within walking distance of my home. I have so far aquired lots of rescue work experience both in the community and at my college which has its own centre and now need veterinary for my last year as I want to hopefully train to do veterinary nursing.
Reply 3
Got the work placement spot I was after ! so happy and feel really lucky as I know how hard it can be to find vet placements 😊.
Volunteer positions in the charity shop I work for ask for references, its normal. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by loooopppyyy
Volunteer positions in the charity shop I work for ask for references, its normal. :smile:

Yeah and I'm actually glad they did now as I think that's what would of helped me get the placement. So many people say they struggle to get one in a vets so I feel really lucky that I managed it on my first time applying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending