The Student Room Group

Failing University after 4 years..

I don't really know where to begin, on this topic. I have just spent four years at University and am a week away from failing my degree. I have a lot left to do and realistically cannot do it. (5000 words, 4000 words and an Exam all in the next week)

It is really hard to explain what's happening but I basically hated university from the day I got there and stupidly by my own admission continued going on with it. I Failed my first year and had to resit only 2 modules during the second year

by my third year (third year at uni, second year of the course) I was battling with severe depression that resulted in me nearly taking my own life. This was due to lots of problems that I could not understand like my bad temper coming out of nowhere. problems with friends, problems with girls and ultimately problems scraping by at uni. My life was a massive mess. I have been to see a psychiatrist just last week and finally at the age of 23, was diagnosed with what my doctor described as a "moderate-severe form ADHD".

I have worked so hard in the last year trying to get my degree I can't explain how hard i've worked attempting to get this degree, I've had to pick up extra modules due to the depression and failing modules last year. but I think I have just come to the realisation i cannot do it. I don't feel depressed or like killing myself, I actually feel a lot happier knowing that a lot of my problems were down to ADHD, and continuing doing something I absolutely hated from the start when I really should have quit. I only made them worse by not being honest with myself and quitting when I should have.

I just want to know what people think? it is such a bizarre situation and just having some opinions or someone to talk to would just maybe help a little bit.

I feel like a failure and a bit of a loser for spending four years at uni and not coming out with a degree. But, I also feel like someone who has pushed themselves so hard, never quit, battled depression and battled ADHD (without even knowing why my life was the way it was).

Since the year I got out of my depression I have improved so much as a person, even to the point where I realised that there wasn't something quite right and seeking help by going to a psychiatrist.

since being diagnosed last week I feel such a sense of relief knowing that I will be able to get medicated help and CBT and that I will be able to enjoy my life in the future.

my ambition is to be a Recruitment Consultant, and a really good one, I have 2 years of sales experience and I am very confident and ambitious when it comes to a sales role and that type of environment. I also know there are Recruiters out there who take people on from A-level, and I do have reasonable A-levels. Its just explaining the four year black hole of depression, ADHD and no degree or trying to blag it? cover it up and hope they don't verify it? or just be honest? i'm not saying i'm going to lie I really don't want too but, I can understand that companies are not going to be lining up to hire me either if I explain the circumstances.

What do you guys on here think about all this? has anyone heard of stories similar to this? people overcoming such adversity and negative circumstances and still going onto becoming a success? I want to do it I really do.

would help to here some thoughts on here. I'm not a bad guy honestly, just a lad who's made a lot of bad choices but is trying to put them right.

Scroll to see replies

Not really sure what you want?

If I were in that situation then I would go and talk to the tutor and start an extenuating circumstances claim either for a suspension of studies or a deferment to give me the time I needed. To support that I would submit supporting evidence of my disability from independent medical professionals.

I wouldnt give up the degree unless I had to, especially when you are near the end.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't really know where to begin, on this topic. I have just spent four years at University and am a week away from failing my degree. I have a lot left to do and realistically cannot do it. (5000 words, 4000 words and an Exam all in the next week)

It is really hard to explain what's happening but I basically hated university from the day I got there and stupidly by my own admission continued going on with it. I Failed my first year and had to resit only 2 modules during the second year

by my third year (third year at uni, second year of the course) I was battling with severe depression that resulted in me nearly taking my own life. This was due to lots of problems that I could not understand like my bad temper coming out of nowhere. problems with friends, problems with girls and ultimately problems scraping by at uni. My life was a massive mess. I have been to see a psychiatrist just last week and finally at the age of 23, was diagnosed with what my doctor described as a "moderate-severe form ADHD".

I have worked so hard in the last year trying to get my degree I can't explain how hard i've worked attempting to get this degree, I've had to pick up extra modules due to the depression and failing modules last year. but I think I have just come to the realisation i cannot do it. I don't feel depressed or like killing myself, I actually feel a lot happier knowing that a lot of my problems were down to ADHD, and continuing doing something I absolutely hated from the start when I really should have quit. I only made them worse by not being honest with myself and quitting when I should have.

I just want to know what people think? it is such a bizarre situation and just having some opinions or someone to talk to would just maybe help a little bit.

I feel like a failure and a bit of a loser for spending four years at uni and not coming out with a degree. But, I also feel like someone who has pushed themselves so hard, never quit, battled depression and battled ADHD (without even knowing why my life was the way it was).

Since the year I got out of my depression I have improved so much as a person, even to the point where I realised that there wasn't something quite right and seeking help by going to a psychiatrist.

since being diagnosed last week I feel such a sense of relief knowing that I will be able to get medicated help and CBT and that I will be able to enjoy my life in the future.

my ambition is to be a Recruitment Consultant, and a really good one, I have 2 years of sales experience and I am very confident and ambitious when it comes to a sales role and that type of environment. I also know there are Recruiters out there who take people on from A-level, and I do have reasonable A-levels. Its just explaining the four year black hole of depression, ADHD and no degree or trying to blag it? cover it up and hope they don't verify it? or just be honest? i'm not saying i'm going to lie I really don't want too but, I can understand that companies are not going to be lining up to hire me either if I explain the circumstances.

What do you guys on here think about all this? has anyone heard of stories similar to this? people overcoming such adversity and negative circumstances and still going onto becoming a success? I want to do it I really do.

would help to here some thoughts on here. I'm not a bad guy honestly, just a lad who's made a lot of bad choices but is trying to put them right.

Look everything's possible. You have a week, set yourself a schedule, 1000 words per day for each assignment. 1 or 2 hours a day of revision for the exam. I have a few friends that have ADHD. They break up their revision work cycles in 20 minute batches, with a 5/10 minute break.

Honestly, one thing I've learnt is to believe that theres always a way out of something, even when you can't see the way out of it, there's a way. You'll be fine, just take your time and don't panic.
Reply 3
A week? Pff thats easy. You haven't been to Cambridge and Oxford, where in their first-second year, have assignments due and like 5-8 exams in a week.

Just try really hard and write as much as you can. Have a target like 1000 words in the morning, and the rest of the day you revise, simple.

Go to your Tutor ASAP now, and tell them, ask for extenuating circumstances. Regardless what others say, universities can often be very nice and helpful. Don't put on nice clothes, wear makeup or do your hair. Look like a mess when you go to ask, it helps.
It's over. It may seem harsh but it's the truth from experience.

You want to be recruitment consultant? You shouldn't have bothered with uni in the first place. I understand special needs and mental health very well. i'm in uni as well and so far i have wasted two of my four years in here. Did you have friends in the uni? Uni is hell and i too wish i never went. I only went to end my unsociable wack lifestyle and had hopes to become a teacher but that isn't going to happen as it's likely i'm going to be waiter and Food cleaner for decades and i've accepted that.

If i was you, i would give it up now or come back to uni in a later future. Right now, you don't need this stress. Perhaps take a holiday or go travelling. You have just had an diagnosis which is likely stressing you more, go travelling for a year or two to forget about it the diagnosis and the university pain and come back with a healthy mind and get that degree in the future!
I think get help, and support, but *try* to pass your degree. If you really cannot do it, then give up, but honestly it doesn't matter if you're already behind and it doesn't matter if you don't get the best grade - you've come this far, it would be a shame to let it all go to waste. You sound like a brave soul, I hope everything works out and you are able to be happier and healthier.
There are stories of people overcoming adversity to find success in life, and you are making a step in the right direction. Third year is usually the most challenging and it has been a little overwhelming for you. I would try to do the best you can, and speak to your personal tutor. It may be that you can claim extenuating circumstances, a gap "break" or extended deadline to let you complete your assignments.

If you are sure that you cannot complete the year, take some time out to focus on yourself. You can always return to do a degree later on life but your mental health has to be top priority.

You mention that you have sales experience already, so this will boost your chances of getting a job in recruitment. I would also suggest trying to make contacts - either by networking at events or talking to staff at careers fairs.
It's really not over. Go and speak to your tutor and explain about your depression and the fact you were just diagnosed with a learning difficulty. Ask for an extension on the two assignments and/or to take your exam during the resit period. You're so close to the line now, it probably feels rubbish, but try and finish this so you have something to show for your time and effort.

i am in the same position
Eric Thomas took 12 years to get a 4 year degree
You said you have been diagnosed last week, right? Get official documents and apply for mitigating circumstances and assignment extension if possible. It might be late for the extension (some unis ask for 2 weeks before the deadline) but for mitigating you can submit a form directly after the exam. Think about how much you have been through in these 4 years, you can get your degree. All the best!
As the replies so far, you've been diagnosed and apply for mitigating circumstances and an assignment extension.

You can do it!

Good luck!
PLEASE READ asap. Hello. I never write on here but felt compelled to. I have been through a similar situation. I had to write 12,000 words in one week. Specifically, on topics I had no idea about. My depression meant that I missed months of university. On top of that, I had to take 10 mark penalties per day. It was hell. 'Knowing' I was going to fail was a painful experience. But I turned the situation around with the help of my GP and university. I didn't fail and got a 65% average. I know how to help you.

First, you need to talk to your department at university. You need to email your supervisor and senior staff at your department. Put the subject title 'Urgent Your Name'.They may check their emails over the weekend. Even if they don't, it will show that you are being proactive. This is necessary to prove the significance of the situation. Explain very clearly how your circumstances have affected you. Ask them for an urgent meeting.

You must tell them that you were diagnosed with ADHD. You must tell them that you are going to try to see your GP again next week. Discuss with them what your options are academically. Like: how do mitigating circumstances work at your university? Is it possible to sit the exams and do the coursework and have the marks nullified IF you do badly? Or would you not be allowed to sit exams twice? At my university for example, you can sit the exams if you feel well enough (despite having mitigating circumstances) and reject your results if you do badly. Then resit later on. Can the exams be postponed? Is it possible to retake a year? I know that is not ideal for you but you need to cover all the bases and be fully aware of the options you have.

Second, you must book an appointment with your GP immediately. Stress how urgent the situation is. Explain very clearly what impact your ADHD and depression has had and is still having on you. Ask for him to fill in a mitigating circumstances form to prove your situation. URGENTLY; mitigating circumstances requests are usually only accepted during a specific time-frame. Ideally, you need an official diagnosis of depression too. This will strengthen your case.

Three, do as much work as possible. I know it is hard but you need to try your best. Even writing 1000 words or even an essay plan will prove to your department that you are trying but struggling. IF you write nothing, it is difficult to prove that you have tried. Keep in mind, you don't know whether you will be given mitigating circumstances or not. It is likely but you cannot rely on that. And you don't know the procedures your university will take yet.
(edited 6 years ago)
Four, CC that email to your supervisor & department to your student union. They need to know what is going on. This is so that they can represent you IF you are kicked out of your university/fail your degree/are denied mitigating circumstances/require an appeal etc. They can speak on your behalf and strengthen your case. They will be on your side and are separate from your university. It may sound 'wishy-washy' or pointless but they have dealt with cases like yours from the beginning of time. They will help you.

Five, if you feel suicidal or impulsive this weekend, you MUST go to A&E. It is not 'time-wasting'. That may save your life if the worst happens AND your visit would be used as proof by your university of your unwell state. It would not be used against you.

Regarding your career prospects, I was assured that one's depression would not be used against you IF you can prove that you perserved and were actually unwell. Companies are not allowed to discriminate against you on the basis on ADHD or depression or any other illness. In your cover letter, you should disclose your circumstances. You should make it clear that you are determined despite your circumstances. Emphasise your sales experience and apply this directly to the questions asked in your application/interview. You may be asked about your conditions in interviews. Use this as an opportunity to show how honest and dedicated you are. You will not be regarded as 'crazy'. IF you do not disclose your circumstances, your final degree classification will be used against you. You do not want companies to think 'This guy is delusional for thinking his degree/university experience is comparable to these other candidates'. You want them to think, 'This guy went through difficult personal circumstances BUT hasn't given up. He is surprisingly honest which is commendable'.

Good luck. I honestly hope you take this advice. And PS, my university is a Russell Group and I will read politics and economics at a top Japanese university from September. My advice is not wishful thinking!

If you have an ambition, and the drive to reach whatever you want to reach, then there's nothing stopping you.

Yes, you've gone through difficult times and I empathise and appreciate that you've soldiered through them to come to this point, so that in itself is an achievement (woo!). Now, hardship usually show us how strong we are, even if at the time, we don't feel like it, because whenever there is difficulty, positivity follows.

Most of the time, it takes time for positivity to occur naturally after a nasty blip in life. In this case, for you to graduate with honours, you need both time and motivation.

What has happened in the past should not affect you now, because what has happened, has occurred and now it is time to move forward. If you keep dwelling on the past, you'll never progress or better yourself, instead you'll sit there in pity. So, it is time to change irrational thoughts in positive ones, and you can do this.

Keep the goal for the next week to work toward passing this year, even if it is barely scraping for a 3rd. That's okay, at least you've put the work in and aren't slacking off.

On your good days, make sure you do as much revision/work for assignment as possible therefore, when you have a bad day and have low motivation, you've compensated the time by being productive beforehand.

Break your revision down into small chunks for a few hours each day and revise them in the evening/early next morning, then revise another few chunks etc.
After revision, try past papers. If worst comes to worst, simply just revise the past papers and try and what is most likely to come up for this year's exam through elimination of topics asked in previous years.

Make sure you make use of the extenuating circumstances for assignments and exams as they are proof of your current state and how you've recently been feeling. If you don't already have extra time for exams, I strongly suggest you talk to your department about arranging alternative facilities for you to complete the exam. Extra time will allow you to think better as you'll get an extra 25% time to write.

You have the resources, you have the brain power, you have the goal, then you can do this! Don't ever give up; it may seem hard or boring at the time, but I assure you, with the right mindset and the willingness to do well, you'll succeed.

I wish you all the very best, and keep at it, don't give up, we're all here to help! :smile:
In the wise words of Carl Elias from the show Person of Interest..
"There's always another way out"

The precense and extent of your extenuating circumstances is well known, you have enough documented, and a diagnosis, to take that up with the appropiate tutors in your institution for a suspension or delay to afford you enough time to comfortably complete your degree.

If you really want to pursue this Recruitment Consultant thing, go for it, but just make sure you've exhausted all your other options to ensure the best outcome.

Nothing is ever set in stone unless you let it be, with enough time, dedication, and grit, any fate can be changed.
Reply 16
Original post by Quiet Benin
It's over. It may seem harsh but it's the truth from experience.

You want to be recruitment consultant? You shouldn't have bothered with uni in the first place. I understand special needs and mental health very well. i'm in uni as well and so far i have wasted two of my four years in here. Did you have friends in the uni? Uni is hell and i too wish i never went. I only went to end my unsociable wack lifestyle and had hopes to become a teacher but that isn't going to happen as it's likely i'm going to be waiter and Food cleaner for decades and i've accepted that.

If i was you, i would give it up now or come back to uni in a later future. Right now, you don't need this stress. Perhaps take a holiday or go travelling. You have just had an diagnosis which is likely stressing you more, go travelling for a year or two to forget about it the diagnosis and the university pain and come back with a healthy mind and get that degree in the future!

Spoiler

What do you guys on here think about all this? has anyone heard of stories similar to this? people overcoming such adversity and negative circumstances and still going onto becoming a success?

Yes. You can go on and be a success.
Definitely.

You need to take your diagnosis to your supervisor and speak to the disability officer at your place.

You can get some time to come to grips with what you've just been told and sort it out, if that's what you need.

Universities want you to succeed and they will always help rather than not.

Just go and speak to the right people. Ask for time.
Then take a deep breath.
It can still all come right in the end.:goodluck:
go into full on study mode 100%. stop everything unless it helps with studying. Nows not the time to regret, next week is.... just think in one weeks time it ll all be over so make this last week of studying ever count and smash it!!! its possible!!
It's 'over' (unless he turns it around fast, seems unlikely) because he won't be able to do another degree in the future, given it's 16-17k per year and he won't be able to get a loan. Unless Labour get in and turn that around. He'd also need to do another A-Level or similar before doing a new degree (least of his worries).

But a pass or 3rd is really not worth the paper it's written on. In hindsight he should've never gone to uni. If his GCSEs and A-Levels are good maybe just avoid saying you ever went, try get a job that way. I agree with pushing for mitigating circumstances, nothing to lose there.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest