The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Offers Process

I still have a year left of my Undergrad degree (Scottish university so 4 years..) but one of my postgrad course choices are already accepting applications. I applied yesterday and today received an offer, which I'm super excited about! But, I was just wondering the process of accepting offers for post grad courses? I still have a long way before I graduate or even before other courses I'm interested in open their application processes, (the offer is from my joint top choice, the other being UCL whose applications open in September) so I'm just confused as to what my next step should be (can I wait to accept or does have to be done soonish), Thank You!
Original post by GrammarGirl

Because three is no centralised process for PG applications, the usual practice is to accept offers as they come in, and reject them again as soon as you know you won't be taking them up, because you have preferably offers.

There is a possible moral dilemma there, depending on your opinion, in that Universities carefully finesse their offers according to their acceptance rates, so every acceptance minutely reduces the offer rate. So by accepting an offer you later reject, you potentially stop someone else getting an offer.

In practice, accept if there is still a chance you'd go there, but reject as soon as there's no chance you'd go there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending